KIMBO SLICE IS NOW A WRESTLER!

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
Kimbo fought recently on a small show in the main event and won so he's still active in MMA.

Are you sure? I've not heard anything about him since he left UFC. Where/when did he fight?

I swear I read about this not too long ago but can't find any mention of it so I must be mistaken. Very odd, thats going to bug me now.

nah, that didn't happen. Last i heard before this was that Kimbo was training to go into boxing, but it fell through:

So much for the great Kimbo Slice boxing experiment.

The former street fighting sensation turned MMA fighter abruptly quit his pursuit of becoming a boxing star in October, Slice's former promoter Jared Shaw told MMA Fighting.

"[slice left the boxing training camp] due to some various injuries and to go film The Scorpion King. Upon his return, he didn't show me any interest in boxing, so we just decided for right now to put it to the side," Shaw said.

"In boxing, in order to be amongst the best in the world, he was going to have to put in double the work he was accustomed to. Due to the wear and tear on his body, he wasn't able to perform up to the standard we wanted him to."

Slice said in August that he would pursue a boxing career. He never actually competed in a boxing match.

The Inoki Genome Federation pro wrestling organization announced on Tuesday that Slice will take part in its 8-man tournament on February 5th in Fukuoka, Japan, against former Sumo wrestler Shinichi "Wakakirin" Suzukawa. If you recall, "Wakakirin" was supposed to face Bob Sapp at Dynamite!! 2010 until Sapp pulled out on fight night due to undisclosed reasons. Josh Barnett will also reportedly compete in the tournament.

Shaw said he hasn't talked to Slice since October. He was surprised to hear of Slice's new gig, but added, "I think Kimbo Slice's days as a fighter are close to an end."

from MMAfanhouse.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

as for Kimbo himself, i'm a massive fan.

I'm grateful that ive been an MMA fan long enough that i remember all the hype around him before he even came into MMA. He was all over the sherdog message boards, links to the youtube videos and people on there claiming to be one of 'Kimbo's People'. I was following the back-and-forth's between 'Kimbo's People' and Sean Gannon...Gannon actually came on Sherdog and set the infamous fight up on the message boards...the date was set and most people thought it was bogus. But it fucking happened, i remember the reports coming through that Gannon had won it. Then a grainy video came up and showed the whole brutal affair, i felt like i was a member of some kind of illegal underground fight club, it was exciting shit.

Then Kimbo actually trained and went into MMA, and despite his limitations Kimbo's fights for me have been some of the most anticipated ive ever experienced, i got nervous before every Kimbo fight, the EliteXC fights were kind of anti-climatic and dare i say 'dodgy' (i still think Bo Cantrell took a dive) There's just something about his persona that grips you, he's got that kind of stage presence/charisma that you can't teach. I dunno who well he'll do in pro wrestling, but i imagine Japanese crowds will love him.

speaking of the Gannon/Kimbo fight, i just found this Newspaper front page regarding the bout:

kimbo_gannon_newspaper.jpg

i still can't believe the UFC booked Gannon after that? they try to shed the bloodshed image and they ended up booking both guys...it blows the mind really. Still, i don't see why EliteXC never set up the rematch, that was the kind of thing that would have been right up their street.

Archived