Raw 17/01/11 Discussion

Green

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say The New Nexus look a lot more threatening now with Mason Ryan joining them, he looks huge! With Ezekiel joining Nexus and Ryan joining The New Nexus both groups seem to have really been given a bit more strength and I can see Ezekiel and Ryan having the bodyguard/enforcer type roles for their groups. And which group is actually the break away one? It seems to me as if the Smackdown group will be the actual original Nexus, despite Barrett being kicked out he joined with two of the original members and I'm sure Punk's group all used Punk's music tonight so if Barrett and co decide to wear the armbands and tshirts and have their old music back wouldn't that make them the original Nexus? Punk's guys seem to be calling themselves The New Nexus too, despite them technically being the original Nexus but having their leader replaced and the only remaining original guys, obviously bar Otunga, walk out. Either way I'm loving the whole Nexus thing. I could see tonight's events coming a mile off though, it was obvious there'd be a new addition when the members of Nexus had been banned from ringside, but I was trying to guess who off the roster it'd be, I wasn't ready for what actually did happen.

• Paid Members

Jeez, initially I thought it was Batista making his return. I'll be interested to see if he's any good.

Good show overall, though someone within WWE clearly thinks Derrick Bateman is a lot funnier than he is. That skit was just weird. Even the announcers didn't bother with the fake laughing. Nor, clearly, did the live audience.

I'm assuming we'll get a Morrison/Bryan US title match sometime soon, and judging from the little we saw there that could be a brilliant pairing.

It's weird how Sheamus won KOTR and then suddenly became an undercard attraction as opposed to something bigger. I'd have thought they'd want to build him up to make his inevitable meeting with Triple H more meaningful. I'm actually beginning to wonder if that match is something we'll see at Elimination Chamber, and instead we'll have CM Punk Vs. Triple H at Wrestlemania.

I'm in two minds about Mason Ryan joining Nexus. I initially liked it when he kicked Punk and I thought "Cool, he's gonna be a big nut job who is only out for himself and will attack heels and faces etc".

Nexus are hardly the NWO. Although WWE are high on them, lets be honest, aside from the leaders they are a bunch of jobbers no-one gives a shit about on an individual level. I mean, look at the members - "Oooh, that Mike McGillicutty's sounds scary, doesn't he!?" "Wow, the angry, skinny ginger kid's not got a hope in hell of kicking Cena's arse!" etc etc.

I suppose Mason adds that 'edge' they need and I'm hoping its more a 'Batista in Evolution' thing where he plays the heavy for a while and then breaks out on his own as he absolutely oozes 'superstar' on every level.

How about the Derrick Bateman skit? Guy is clearly charismatic and a very talented wrestler. I was left scratching my head after watching it though.

Interesting Raw.

Like others I actually thought Batista had returned and realised my mistake.

Remember when Maryse was the next big thing in the Divas division? honestly I wouldn't be suprised if The Miz dicking her is the only thing keeping her in a job and was it just me or did she look like she was in a genuine bad mood before her match? either way her meltdown following her match was just weird but at least set up the random battle royale/brawl which was a decent five minutes.

Lawler looks like he genuingly wants to punch Cole in the mush so I think we know what Lawler is going to be doing following his current Miz mini feud and getting to The Miz his beatdown of Orton was first class but what the fuck were they thinking having Ziggler go down to Orton so close to the PPV?

I have been enjoying Daniel Bryan's current role but this "Virgin" stuff is what I feared was coming the moment the Bella Whores were thrown into the mix and depending how it plays out it could possibaly ruin the guy, personally I'm hoping that it turns out that the "nerd" has been playing them all along.

• Paid Members

Enjoyable show, not on the level of the previous two Raws this year but still good tele all the same.

Mason Ryan, wow. Just wow. He looks like an absolute beast and immediately gives the current version of Nexus that little something extra I think they needed in order to look like a real force again. Get him in the Rumble and put him over strong by letting him eliminate a whole bunch of people. And who isn't looking forward to a potential Zeke Jackson vs Ryan confrontation in the Rumble Match? They've only been in their respective new groups for one show and already I can't wait for them to lock horns. Great main event to watch tonight and a fascinating conclusion too with Ryan's debut. Originally I thought it was Tyson Kidd's bodyguard as they had a similar black top/jeans combo going on. I've heard nothing but good things about Mason Ryan down in FCW so it'll be interesting to follow his WWE career as it looks most promising.

Edit= Just saw the comment about him at the UK tapings. But hey, give him time eh?

I actually thought the Derrick Bateman skit was brilliant, made me chuckle. His comedy might not be to everyone's taste, but how can you not love a Mark Henry style brand of aftershave? Brilliant. Speaking of Henry, he looked awesome in that fake Royal Rumble skirmish and good for him, because it makes the Rumble a little more interesting. Obviously he wont win it, but he's another guy they can build a short story around in the Rumble match with several guys trying to eliminate him, then eventually it'll mean more when he does actually get thrown over by someone.

John Morrison continues to look awesome, but what with it being Wrestlemania season I think he'll have to wait a while before he can get back into the World title hunt proper, not discounting his possible Elimination Chamber appearance even though he'd basically just be making up the numbers. If they go with a Money in the Bank match this year at Mania I think Morrison is the most suitable candidate to win it, even over Del Rio.

• Moderators

WELSH POWER!

It's a shame Big Zeke has been moved to Smackdown, because Zeke and Mason would have been a fucking super team. Would have been tremendous. Happy that Mason is on TV now though. Bendigedig.

I'm assuming mason Ryan is the Rob Terry clone I had the misfortune of seeing at the Manchester Superstars/Smackdown taping? If so, he's the drizzling shits.

He's leagues ahead of Rob Terry in terms of co-ordination and looks like one mean mother-fucker.

Is he a great worker? No. Can he deliver a watchable 'by-the-books' match? Yes. Does any of that matter in WWE? No.

Trust me - Wales will have a World Champion sooner rather than later.

Archived