Raw 17/01/11 Discussion

Green

• Paid Members
The Daniel Bryan virgin thing is clearly just building up to it being revealed that the Bella's misheard him saying he's a 'vegan'

Hahaha. I would LOVE if that was the case!

Hahahaha, that's genius, and do you know, I actually think you might be on to something there!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i thought it was a good raw since you had 3 good matches. morrison/ bryan, ziggler/orton and punk/cena. i thought the punk vs cena match was a really good match even pulled out a double clothesline and build an match i was really into.

Mason Ryan looks fucking great on TV.

Cole calling Punks submission the Anaconda Vice and telling everyone so many stars had been taken out by it, when its the first time I've seen Punk use it in the WWE was laughable. I may be wrong, but its not the Anaconda Vice anyway.

I downloaded the show and could constantly hear some of the producers directing the camera angles and stuff, or the cameramen talking quite loudly. Particularly during the Orton barricade spot and the closing shot of Raw. The latter being the most obvious "No, stay on me" when it went to catch Cena on the outside then quickly shot back to the hard camera. Weird. Nothing like that NXT episode though

Raw has gotten considerably better since the New Year and I'm 100% positive its because Triple H has been more hands on in terms of running TV, not to mention the fact Vince is actually interested again. There's still some horsehit making it through, like that Batemen skit. He's one of those guys who's trying too hard to be funny, they're clearly of the mindset that he looks like Adam Sandberg so he can be the "Adam Sandberg" of the WWE. Though luckily I think they're treating him as the guy who thinks he's funny, but isn't really judging by the announcers reaction.

Bryan vs JoMo was nice, surprised to see two faces going at it though. The Bryan/Bellas thing was the worst fear coming true, but the Vegan/Virgin theory posted above sounds really plausible. They're clearly very high on Ziggler. Giving him top matches like Cena and Orton are a test to see if he can hang with the main players and if he pulls out a great match at the Rumble I think he's going to do very well. Punk vs Cena was great too.

I'm slightly annoyed that Orton seems to be gradually stealing trademark moves from other wrestlers. First the Olympic Slam and now the Lou Thesz press. I know the latter is a pretty standard move but he's doing it in the same style as Austin. He's got a decent move set as it is.

Am I right in thinking they didn't hype any matches for Smackdown? They usually throw out the Main Event for the show on Raw...

• Awards Moderator

Cole calling Punks submission the Anaconda Vice and telling everyone so many stars had been taken out by it, when its the first time I've seen Punk use it in the WWE was laughable. I may be wrong, but its not the Anaconda Vice anyway.

He used it a lot in ECW, it was his finisher before GTS. Glad to hear he's started using it again.

He used it a lot in ECW, it was his finisher before GTS. Glad to hear he's started using it again.

It wasnt the Anaconda vice that he used to use, it was the Koji Clutch.

• Paid Members

He used to use the Anaconda Vice on ECW however on RAW he did the Koji Clutch.

• Awards Moderator

They called it the Anaconda Vice when he did it, though...

Mason Ryan looks alright. Muscular as all hell, no doubt, but I wouldn't say he looked massive next to the other New Nexus guys. My initial impression is that barring some real belief in him, his immediate future is more Luke Gallows than Batista. Being in a bodyguard role like that only really gets people over when they're attached to the show's biggest stars, and - much as I adore Punk - he's not really that. These guys are more Flock members than Evolution ones.

I found the Bateman skit pretty awful, but I was still glad to see that I was right about WWE creative wanting to do things with him. It's a good sign-- even if it did fall on it's ass this time. In a less forced environment the guy is hilarious and I'm sure he'll have more opportunity to show it.

My jaw actually dropped when I heard the Bellas talking about wanting to be Daniel Bryan's "first". Wow. The virgin/vegan idea is pretty great, I think, but if it is the case that should have been a one episode joke. As a pay-off to an overlong, bizarre and sometimes uncomfortable story arc, it's going to feel pretty awful. Whatever brings about the end of this unholy alliance is okay with me though. Let's just consign it to history as soon as possible. Great to see him wrestle properly again though.

Punk's eye made him look like Scar from The Lion King. Awesome.

When I saw Mason Ryan in November he didn't impress me too much, but I think the poor card and facing Chavo who nobody gave a shit about didn't help him. The crowd were into him though and after seeing some of his FCW stuff I reckon he's a decent competitor and I'm looking forward to see him perform on the grand stage. With his look and star aura the possibility of him becoming a champion down the line is obvious and as a welshman who thought we'd never see an English World Champion, seeing a Welsh champion would be insane.

Archived