Raw 17/01/11 Discussion

Green

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mason Ryan looks alright. Muscular as all hell, no doubt, but I wouldn't say he looked massive next to the other New Nexus guys. My initial impression is that barring some real belief in him, his immediate future is more Luke Gallows than Batista. Being in a bodyguard role like that only really gets people over when they're attached to the show's biggest stars, and - much as I adore Punk - he's not really that. These guys are more Flock members than Evolution ones.

Punk's eye made him look like Scar from The Lion King. Awesome.

To be fair though Batista started off as a bodygaurd to Dvon, so in that respect maybe that's a bit of a premature judgment? Batista's immediate future after his debut was more Luke Gallows than Batista as well.

Mason Ryan looks alright. Muscular as all hell, no doubt, but I wouldn't say he looked massive next to the other New Nexus guys. My initial impression is that barring some real belief in him, his immediate future is more Luke Gallows than Batista. Being in a bodyguard role like that only really gets people over when they're attached to the show's biggest stars, and - much as I adore Punk - he's not really that. These guys are more Flock members than Evolution ones.

To be fair though Batista started off as a bodygaurd to Dvon, so in that respect maybe that's a bit of a premature judgment? Batista's immediate future after his debut was more Luke Gallows than Batista as well.

He debuted at the end of the show, kicking seven bells out of the company's biggest star. The movers and shakers in WWE clearly see him as more of a Batista than a Luke Gallows and that's all that matters, regardless of who he's associated with. Besides which, by my reckoning Punk probably IS the biggest heel star in the company right now. He's one half on the top feud on the flagship show.

Griffiths/Ryan/whatever they end up calling him has already made more of an impact than Batista did in his first year. I reckon he's going to be given a fair chance at being somebody.

• Paid Members

Good show. Genuinely enjoying Raw, watching it spoiler free week in week out for the first time in over four years.

they're clearly of the mindset that he looks like Adam Sandberg so he can be the "Adam Sandberg" of the WWE.

Do you mean Sandler?

EDIT - ignore. Googled this Sandberg fella. Passed me by entirely has that one.

If they go with a Money in the Bank match this year at Mania I think Morrison is the most suitable candidate to win it, even over Del Rio.

I agree, Del Rio doesn't need the briefcase to "make him into" a main eventer. He's nearly ready. I expect him to win his title PROPERLY. Cheating, yes, but in a proper, promoted main event title match. Not feeding on another's scraps.

The Bryan/Bellas thing was the worst fear coming true, but the Vegan/Virgin theory posted above sounds really plausible.

I thought it was fucking abysmal. I must admit I loved fact that in the current WWE landscape a nerd as Bryan is portrayed to be can still have a Bella on each arm, but to play the virgin card is a sad, sad joke. Worst of all, its not even a joke at Bryan's expense, but at his perceived fan base who are, I suppose, all massive massive dorks, workrate perverts who love Star Trek, tweeting the celebs & wrestlers they stalk, and Shimmer. And OBVIOUSLY virgins. As a Bryan fan who has never watched Shimmer or tweeted and never let being a wrestling fan stand in the way of a sex life, I find it ridiculous to give pushing the stereotype time on the tv show.

Do love me some Next Gen, mind.

I'm calling Barri vs Rob Mawr to main event WrestleMania 29 in a rebuilt Port Talbot Afan Lido!

OT, but my mate is from Port Talbot and used to play for Afan Lido FC.

I hope that slight variation on the Rock Bottom isn't going to be Mason Ryan's finisher, it's far too similar to about a million other finishers at the moment.

Worse than that, it's @THEMATTHARDYBRAND's Side Effect.

Oops, force of habit.

He debuted at the end of the show, kicking seven bells out of the company's biggest star. The movers and shakers in WWE clearly see him as more of a Batista than a Luke Gallows and that's all that matters, regardless of who he's associated with. Besides which, by my reckoning Punk probably IS the biggest heel star in the company right now. He's one half on the top feud on the flagship show.

Griffiths/Ryan/whatever they end up calling him has already made more of an impact than Batista did in his first year. I reckon he's going to be given a fair chance at being somebody.

He didn't really do that though, did he? It was more of a catching Cena off-guard thing. Once the element of surprise is removed, I will be bloody shocked if he's made to look like anything worthwhile next to Cena. Don't get me wrong, of course it would be brilliant if he was, but I just think there are two things working against that.

Firstly, he's back-up in a feud against WWE's Superman; Cena can't be allowed to get to Punk quite yet and he won't be allowed to look weak, so he's got to get someone: this will probably be Ryan and all the other Nexus guys. Repeatedly. Hence diminishing his aura. Secondly, although I'm a massive Punk fan, he's not quite the star he's in the position to be (does anyone really believe he's a truly worthy opponent for Cena yet?), and so efforts need to be made to towards that end. If they do it by making Punk a coward heel who hides behind a monster, the monster is Nexus and not Ryan (so the spotlight will be shared) and if it's by making Punk look more legit on his own, he misses out that way too.

So yes...in much fewer words, I'm just saying that I don't think he'll be a big deal for a while yet. I'm not saying he doesn't have a big future (who knows?), just that in the meantime I'll be shocked if he's much more than a Gallows or Skip Sheffield type. How well he can make himself stand out in that role I guess is up to him.

• Paid Members

Seeing as i'm a reporter for the local paper, been trying to get hold of his Mum and Dad for their reaction all day. This debut couldn't have come at a better time as i'm a bit short for Thursday's paper as is!

In fact, there was even a preview piece about when he *might* debut last week.

http://www.caernarfonherald.co.uk/caernarf...-name_page.html

I'm calling Barri vs Rob Mawr to main event WrestleMania 29 in a rebuilt Port Talbot Afan Lido!

Fuck that, have it in the all new, 3000 capacity, Plas Kynaston Lane ground in Cefn Mawr.

Isn't the ground there known as 'The Rock' as well? Nice fit!

• Moderators

Yeah, it was built on the old Cae Coch Quarry.

Tescos paid for the land their own ground was on, and promised to build them a real stadium (for Cymru Alliance football) if they left their ground.

Anyway, they left, and Tescos paid their money, and Druids move, and ground is bought. Then someone called **** who didn't want a Supermarket in our villiage planted some Great Crested Newts. They can't build on it now. Cefn Mawr is

• Moderators

Well, we look like losing Y Cae Ras at this rate, but Robbie Savage is doing well for his home town and plugging our plight on Twitter.

Liverpool scum moan about minor, grass roots football has real problems. Argument I had with a LFC fan in Wrexham the other week.

"You don't know what it's like to lose your club"

"We had Hamilton selling our ground and we were first in admin, now we have Moss raping us"

"Well it's different".

Premiership fans don't know they are born mate. I used to watch Barry Town fairly often; their fall from grace has been just ridiculous. Remember fondly a trip up to the Racecourse in the old 'Premier Cup' days, live on the telly.

I love the Daniel Bryan virgin thing, perfect storyline to wind up the stereotypicals. Brilliant if it does end up being a mishearing of vegan as well. Of course, there's a good chance the Bellas were just arguing about being Bryan's first manager. Morrison and Sheamus is in danger of becoming a Smackdown feud.

The Mason Ryan debut reminded me of old-school wrestling, where the show's dramatic cliffhanger would be somebody you've never heard of turning up and battering one of the stars. When was the last time Raw ended with a developmental talent making their WWE TV debut?

I liked Punk and Nexus more this week than last. Punk does a great sleazy, pseudo-religious cult nutter. Completely different from his commentary character that he was doing up until three weeks ago, mind.

Cole laughing at DiBiase's boasting cracked me up. Maryse is incredible, but her and DiBiase have done nothing for each other. He was better off with Virgil. I think DiBiase might be the least popular mainstream wrestler. Nobody seems to like him. Nearly everyone else (except Darren Young, I suppose) seems to have some fanbase, be it standard fans, fappers, fans who like the big lugs, attitude era fans or whatever. DiBiase got nothing.

Melina and Eve were completely pointless on commentary. The battle royal thing was fun, a lot better than I was expecting when Ted made the open challenge that was obviously going to be answered by Henry, Big Show or Khali. DH Smith is fucking useless though, he got eliminated and didn't sell it for a second. He didn't seem hurt or disappointed, he just robotically walked to the back straight away.

The ending of Orton vs Ziggler looked absurd with Orton selling Ziggler's kick twice like a glitch in a Smackdown game. They seem to love coming up with clever RKO variations without ever thinking about how well it can be executed. Anyway, decent showing for Ziggler but I don't think it'd make a Raw-only viewer decide to invest in him vs Edge. Miz beating down Orton was good, but it seems like someone goes through that barrier every week.

I've been fairly negative here, but I did enjoy Raw.

Raw has gotten considerably better since the New Year and I'm 100% positive its because Triple H has been more hands on in terms of running TV, not to mention the fact Vince is actually interested again. There's still some horsehit making it through, like that Batemen skit. He's one of those guys who's trying too hard to be funny, they're clearly of the mindset that he looks like Adam Sandberg so he can be the "Adam Sandberg" of the WWE. Though luckily I think they're treating him as the guy who thinks he's funny, but isn't really judging by the announcers reaction.

I think Adam Sandberg is a name you've made up. Are you on about Adam Sandler or Andy Samberg? Either way, Bateman's segment was rubbish.

Am I right in thinking they didn't hype any matches for Smackdown? They usually throw out the Main Event for the show on Raw...

No matches announced, but there were two hype videos for Smackdown, one about Edge/Ziggler and one about Barrett.

• Moderators
I love the Daniel Bryan virgin thing, perfect storyline to wind up the stereotypicals. Brilliant if it does end up being a mishearing of vegan as well. Of course, there's a good chance the Bellas were just arguing about being Bryan's first manager. Morrison and Sheamus is in danger of becoming a Smackdown feud.

Well said. Morrison won the definitive feud ender at TLC as far as I was concerned. Feed Seamus some else until HHH comes back to make him strong. I'd personally have Seamus cost Daniel Bryan his title and feed Bryan to him for Daniel Bryan seems the type who could recover from a feeding easily. Or, if Bryan needs to be looked after, have Seamus knock shit out of Ron Killings for a bit. I'll be all over that.

Archived