FSM Thread

Vipes

I have not bought the magazine for a while and thought I would check the latest issue out.

This was until I read the above post mentioning Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao.

Since when is this fight a wrestling or MMA fight?

I have zero interest in buying a boxing magazine.

That's a bit of a rash decision to not buy a magazine based on one article not being as interesting as the rest. There's plenty that looks like it'll be a good read this month - I'm particularly looking forward to the Flair piece.

• 4 weeks later...

Issue 119 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

eMX4v18.jpg

In this month's edition, we have feature-length articles on:

- Seth Rollins, as FSM charts his journey to the WWE title, and delves into the psyche of “The Architect”.

- CM Punk, as the man himself tells FSM how he's changed since he left pro wrestling, and if it has been difficult to adapt to a new way of life.

- Luke Harper, as FSM talks to those who know him to establish how he has all the tools to make it to the top of WWE.

- Rob Van Dam as FSM readers get first-hand advice about making it in the pro wrestling business

- WWF In Your House, as FSM recalls the ups and downs of the series, and how it latterly helped save the company.

- The mat wrestling trend on the U.S. indies, as FSM wonders if this hints at the future of mainstream wrestling.

- Misawa & Kobashi vs. Kawada & Taue as FSM explains why the 20-year-old bout is one of the greatest matches in pro wrestling history.

- Robby Brookside as finds out the lengths the Liverpudlian had to go to, to be a success in the industry.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. This month's issue also includes Jim Cornette's wonderful biography of the late “King of Kingsport”, Ron Wright; Rob Naylor on why Rusev has become such a success on the main WWE roster; and in the midst of working on his fitness book, Nick “Magnus” Aldis takes us behind the curtain on his 2013 return to the UK as TNA World champion.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.FightingSpiritMagazine.co.uk/magazine/subscribeUK subscribers receive their copy before the shops (subject to a reliable postal service), and upon subscribing for 12 issues, also receive two additional issues absolutely free. This means that instead of paying a total of £55.86 in shops, the same content is available via subscription for £35.

Still, if you prefer to pick up FSM at your newsagent, WH Smiths and Easons are the main stockists in the UK and Ireland. For other outlets, please consider asking them to reserve your copy each month, at no extra charge.

FSM is also available on PC/Mac, iPhone/iPad, Android, Kindle Fire and Windows Phone. A free sample issue is available at www.tinyurl.com/PocketFSM, although you can also download the issue via the Fighting Spirit Magazine app in the iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon app store. Another advantage of the app is that it links to many hours of relevant matches, promos, and shoot interviews that you do not get with the print edition.

Fighting Spirit Magazine is very grateful for your support, and would like to know more about you want to read in FSM. To make a suggestion, please tweet editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor or visit our Facebook discussion forum at www.tinyurl.com/JoinFSM

• 4 weeks later...

You can find out anything like the old questions asked in PS online now in seconds. I did enjoy them in my pre net days though. 

The style of it changed considerably in the post net years. It was more opinion-oriented, and had long answers covering issues comprehensively for which the info tends to be quite scattered on the net. Or stuff that was very hard to find info on, at least in English (such has historical happenings in Japan and Mexico etc). 

Brian why not start a Q&A section in FSM? I always thought this was the one thing PS had which you didn't and I always enjoyed it. 

I looked into this and most of the questions that came in were as simple as Maverick implies, and could be answered on Twitter instead. I don't think that a page or two of that would've added to FSM.

By the way, thanks to everyone who purchased a print copy of Issue 119, as it's now sold out. I'm very grateful!

Edited by Brian Elliott

By the way, thanks to everyone who purchased a print copy of Issue 119, as it's now sold out. I'm very grateful!

Yeah I just renewed my subscription last week and tried to start it with 119, only to be told it was sold out. Nice to get 120 in the post today though; didn't think it would be out that quick. 

Just another suggestion - there was no warning/notification given when my last subscription ran out. It's hard to keep track of this, especially with the 14 issues deal and I'm sure there are other subscribers who forget as well. A renewal reminder card or something enclosed with the last issue of each sub would likely be appreciated. ^^

Edited by Maikeru

Issue 120 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

owcth6s.jpg

In this month's edition, we have feature-length articles on:

- Daniel Bryan, as FSM considers the style that made him arguably the best pro wrestler of his generation, and ponders what effect it may have had on his future well-being.

- Neville, as FSM discovers why he’s destined for success in WWE, and how it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

- Kurt Angle, as FSM steps off the beaten path to have a conversation with him about everything from learning to lead matches to the pros and cons of TNA's schedule.

- The Briscoes as FSM examines their careers to show why they remain two of the most popular grapplers on the U.S. indy scene.

- Kazuchika Okada, as FSM strains the language barrier to talk to the New Japan superstar at the Ring Of Honor supershows.

- Lucha Underground as FSM talks to the participants to gauge the success of the show, and why it is important in a wrestling world desperate for new ideas.

- Jimmy Havoc as FSM investigates his transformation from lovable brawler to sadistic walking nightmare.

- Mitzi Mueller as FSM finds out about the barriers she had to break down to establish women’s wrestling in the UK.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and book reviews. This month's issue also includes Jim Cornette's thoughts on how to make the business a better place for those who risk life and limb each time they step inside the ring; Rob Naylor on Neville's time in WWE developmental; and Nick “Magnus” Aldis' thoughts on a month of great change in TNA, and arguably for him, too.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.FightingSpiritMagazine.co.uk/magazine/subscribeUK subscribers receive their copy before the shops (subject to a reliable postal service), and upon subscribing for 12 issues, also receive two additional issues absolutely free. This means that instead of paying a total of £55.86 in shops, the same content is available via subscription for £35.

Still, if you prefer to pick up FSM at your newsagent, WH Smiths and Easons are the main stockists in the UK and Ireland. For other outlets, please consider asking them to reserve your copy each month, at no extra charge.

FSM is also available on PC/Mac, iPhone/iPad, Android, Kindle Fire and Windows Phone. A free sample issue is available at www.tinyurl.com/PocketFSM, although you can also download the issue via the Fighting Spirit Magazine app in the iTunes, Google Play, or Amazon app store. Another advantage of the app is that it links to many hours of relevant matches, promos, and shoot interviews that you do not get with the print edition.

Fighting Spirit Magazine is very grateful for your support, and would like to hear more about the topics that interest you. To give feedback or to make a suggestion, please tweet editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor or visit our Facebook discussion forum at www.tinyurl.com/JoinFSM

Edited by Brian Elliott

• Paid Members

I'm a subscriber of FSM and generally enjoy most things about the magazine.  The one thing I would most like to see change however is the way British wrestling is treat in the front third of the magazine.  My biggest gripe is the kayfabe tone used in the "one to watch" and UK news articles - it's this treatment of wrestling that put me off the Apter mags, but is even more out of place in a magazine where all the other articles (about non-UK wrestling) are written as non-kayfabe.

Similarly I don't feel the UK show reviews (or the UK DVD reviews) are as critical as they ought to be.  I understand and appreciate the magazine is trying to support the UK scene, but over-praising matches, or more to the point never criticising them can come across as a little disingenuous, and perhaps this makes it hard for the reader get a fair comparison of the product compared to the international companies.

Overall I'd like to see British wrestling treat in exactly the same way as American and Japanese wrestling is in the magazine - non-kayfabe and objective.  I do commend the amount of coverage the British scene gets in FSM.

Just so I don't sound completely negative, I find most of the articles in the magazine very well written and interesting, and I enjoy the variety of topics which are covered - I was a huge Powerslam fan, but it never really offered such a wide-range of articles.  I think my subscription offers good value for money.  

Edited by bbabba

I'd agree with those points. Must be a hard position to be in though, as those UK promotions are the ones FSM are targeting to take out adverts in the mag.

Overall I really like the balance of articles, there's been a couple on historic Japanese matches and shows which I've loved. I was never part of the tape trading scene so its opened my eyes to some great classics I've never heard of.

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

While there are occasionally elements of real-life thrown in, the premise of the One To Watch has always been to highlight the character you'll see if you attend a show, as opposed to, say, Simon from Leeds. The UK show reviews, on the other hand, are largely aimed at keeping people up to date with storylines, as it can be a lot harder for people to follow them than something that doesn't need too much explanation, like the last WWE pay-per-view. While it's true that I'd prefer to highlight the good than the bad, we've never said that anything objectively awful was great or even average.

All that said, the interest in more critical analysis of these articles is something I can think over, so I appreciate you bringing it up. :)

Edited by Brian Elliott

Brian why not start a Q&A section in FSM? I always thought this was the one thing PS had which you didn't and I always enjoyed it. 

I did test this without it going to print, but as Maverick implied, 99% of the questions sent in could be answered on Twitter in 140 characters.

Edited by Brian Elliott