FSM Thread

Vipes

I'm genuinely shocked this mag is still going. I don't mean that in a bad way, just because all the content is so freely available online with regards to results, reviews and shoot interviews. It's never even crossed my mind to move over to this after Powerslam went under.

I was a tad let down this month though that is a one off as I love some of the articles normally. The MMA top fights was a little flat but that is because I don't watch. I have always seen FSM as more of a wrestling magazine so when we get lengthy MMA articles I skip half the magazine. That said for those who like both products I am sure it was a good edition. 

• Paid Members

I was a tad let down this month though that is a one off as I love some of the articles normally. The MMA top fights was a little flat but that is because I don't watch. I have always seen FSM as more of a wrestling magazine so when we get lengthy MMA articles I skip half the magazine. That said for those who like both products I am sure it was a good edition. 

Me too.  I've got no interest in MMA so skip any MMA content in the magazine.  I've never understood the need to cover both.  For me wrestling and MMA are two completely different entities.  Yes, a lot of wrestling fans will watch MMA, but so will a lot of football fans - you won't get MMA coverage in Four Four Two.

No non-wrestling MMA fan is going to buy the magazine as there isn't enough content for them.  I'm sure FSM have done the market research and know their audience, but it would be interesting to know what percentage of readers or potential readers actually want any MMA content at all.

I wouldn't say people buy magazines for news and results, though. As you say, they can instantly get that online. People instead now buy magazines for opinion and analysis.

We deliberately avoid being a news publication. You'd have to be crazy to publish a news-based monthly magazine!

I like to think we publish features that no-one else would've touched in the past - something like the Herb Abrams piece in this issue or our regular profiles of World Of Sport-era wrestlers. A lot of people run scared from anything non-WWE, but we've tried to embrace the larger sport, and it's lovely when people reach out to tell us that they've found something they really like through FSM's coverage.

We'll be more "back to normal" in the next issue now that the UFC 200 hype is finished. I hope there was still plenty in this issue to keep you entertained. :)

Me too.  I've got no interest in MMA so skip any MMA content in the magazine.  I've never understood the need to cover both.  For me wrestling and MMA are two completely different entities.  Yes, a lot of wrestling fans will watch MMA, but so will a lot of football fans - you won't get MMA coverage in Four Four Two.

No non-wrestling MMA fan is going to buy the magazine as there isn't enough content for them.  I'm sure FSM have done the market research and know their audience, but it would be interesting to know what percentage of readers or potential readers actually want any MMA content at all.

If we don't have MMA, we get letters complaining about no MMA. If we have MMA, we get letters complaining about us having MMA. Although I must say there is more of the former than the latter.

• 4 weeks later...

Issue 135 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

cIgqCqG.jpg

In this month's edition, we have feature-length articles on:

- Randy Orton, as FSM suggests that the return of “The Viper” is a golden opportunity, both for WWE to reclaim some star power, and for Orton to define his legacy.

- Raw and Smackdown, as FSM shows why WWE ought to move beyond the live arena format that began its decline a full 15 years ago.

- WWE’s “B” shows, as FSM looks back on other WWE programming that has fallen by the wayside, under the shadow of Monday Night Raw.

- The Final Deletion, as FSM reflects on the match itself, and the effect it has had on pro wrestling as a whole.

- Ricky Morton, as FSM gets vital in-ring tips from one of the sport’s all-time great babyfaces.

- The Super J Cup, as FSM considers the history of the tournament, and suggests the talents to look out for in this year’s editon.

- Ray Robinson, as in the latest Greetings Grapple Fans article, FSM finds out how he ended up having a formidable career in pro wrestling.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and videogame reviews. This month's issue also includes Rob Naylor's opinion on how Chad Gable and Jason Jordan will fare on the WWE main roster; Jim Cornette's memories of the best wrestler you never saw, Chris Colt; and Nick “Magnus” Aldis on UFC 200, and how the sale of the UFC allowed him to see the bigger picture of the show.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.FightingSpiritMagazine.co.uk/magazine/subscribeUpon subscribing for 12 issues as a UK customer, you will receive a FREE gift. Please check the above link for more details. UK subscribers will receive their copy of FSM before the shops, subject to an efficient postal service.

Still, if you prefer to pick up FSM at your newsagent, WH Smith and Eason are the main stockists in the UK and Ireland. For other outlets, please consider asking them to reserve your copy each month, at no extra charge.

FSM is also available on PC/Mac, iPhone/iPad, Android, Kindle Fire and Windows Phone from www.tinyurl.com/PocketFSM. A free sample issue is also available at www.tinyurl.com/FSMFree, although you can also download this issue via your device’s app store. Another advantage of the app is that it links to many hours of relevant matches, promos, and shoot interviews that you do not get with the print edition.

Fighting Spirit Magazine wants to bring you the stories you want to read. We'll do our best to turn any requests into reality, so please tweet editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor or visit our Facebook discussion forum at www.tinyurl.com/JoinFSM to offer your thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

Issue 136 of Fighting Spirit Magazine is now available!

uW9YPgh.jpg

In this month's edition, we have feature-length articles on:

- Finn Balor, as FSM considers his progression through NXT, and ponders whether the former Prince Devitt can hold a place at the top of the main roster in the long-term.

- CM Punk, as FSM talks to the man himself as he prepares to fight Mickey Gall for real in the UFC.

- WWE’s Wellness Policy, as FSM discusses drug testing in pro wrestling, and offers a stark reminder of what history has taught us about the necessity of it.

- Jay Lethal, as in the first of a series of editor’s interviews with the stars of the sport, he discusses the evolution of his career, and how he views the business in 2016.

- Mikey Whiplash, who explains his philosophy on pro wrestling, and imparts some knowledge for the next generation of grapplers in a Training Ground interview.

- Ian “Doc” Dean, as in the latest Greetings Grapple Fans article, FSM finds out what made him leave the business that made him famous, and even took him to the good, ol’ USA.

All of this, plus our usual news, PPV and TV reports, and DVD and videogame reviews. This month's issue also includes Rob Naylor's opinion on the light-heavyweight competitors he has always loved, as he ponders the division’s future in WWE, while Jim Cornette describes how he first got an affinity for British pro wrestling through the gifted grapplers that visited his local territory.

The cheapest and easiest way to subscribe to FSM is via our website, here: http://www.FightingSpiritMagazine.co.uk/magazine/subscribe Upon subscribing for 12 issues as a UK customer, you will receive a FREE gift. Please check the above link for more details. UK subscribers will receive their copy of FSM before the shops, subject to an efficient postal service.

Still, if you prefer to pick up FSM at your newsagent, WH Smith and Eason are the main stockists in the UK and Ireland. For other outlets, please consider asking them to reserve your copy each month, at no extra charge.

FSM is also available on PC/Mac, iPhone/iPad, Android, Kindle Fire and Windows Phone from www.tinyurl.com/PocketFSM. A free sample issue is also available at www.tinyurl.com/FSMFree, although you can also download this issue via your device’s app store. Another advantage of the app is that it links to many hours of relevant matches, promos, and shoot interviews that you do not get with the print edition.

Fighting Spirit Magazine wants to bring you the stories you want to read. We'll do our best to turn any requests into reality, so please tweet editor Brian Elliott at @FSM_Editor or visit our Facebook discussion forum at www.tinyurl.com/JoinFSM to offer your thoughts.

You've obviously been going for a while so I don't know if you need or particularly want constructive criticism, but if I was a Punk fan glancing at this cover on the shelves in Smith's I'd be more sold by the interview if it was actually promoted as such.

The blurb you've gone with makes it sound to me like a generic article that might be no different to any number of online musings, but a direct interview with the man himself is an exclusive selling point worth stating more clearly.

That's my opinion anyway. If you're interested in more pearls of wisdom, look out for my thread in Off Topic where I generously teach grannies how to such eggs.