Worst Factions Of All Time.

CleetusVanDamme

I particularly enjoyed the WWF's faction warfare era, Savio Vega and Crush were dismissed by Nation kingpin Farooq and in came Kama, the dependable D-Lo became more than just a background character and some kid everyone hated called The Rock came on board. Savio and Crush swore revenge "went back to their roots" brought in their own teams to wage war against The Nation who totally would have won that thing if they'd kept Clarence Mason and PG-13 in their ranks. As usual though Vince went into faction overkill to the point where everybody seemed to be in a gang at some point, The Parade Of Human Oddities being a memorable lowlight. Luckily it did eventually bring us the reunion of The Hart Foundation and the rise of DeGeneration X.

And speaking of shitty factions, what about the last few DX runs with Hunter and Shawn? Dreadful TV, unfunny "comedy" and an amazing story turned into little more than a merchandise machine starring two old men acting like Stifler from American Pie. Sure, the Misfits In Action were dreadful but they never had a legacy worth preserving, in my view DX has to be considered one of the worst factions because, like the nWo, nobody knew when to let it die.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And speaking of shitty factions, what about the last few DX runs with Hunter and Shawn? Dreadful TV, unfunny "comedy" and an amazing story turned into little more than a merchandise machine starring two old men acting like Stifler from American Pie. Sure, the Misfits In Action were dreadful but they never had a legacy worth preserving, in my view DX has to be considered one of the worst factions because, like the nWo, nobody knew when to let it die.

True about the comedy, but I loved their matches during that run. All of the PPV matches were fun to watch, and many of the TV matches were as well. I don't see whats wrong with milking a succesful gimmick that still makes lots and lots of money as well.

Pretty Mean Sisters, anyone? Do they even count? Just didn't see the point TBH. Apart from Ryan Shamrock, natch.

Also, ref. The York Foundation, I just thought they were a little bland. In fact, everything about them screamed mid-card. Making them use their full forenames instead of the short versions they'd become known for was a nice touch- but if you were going to 'smarten them up', why didn't they change their ring wear as well as their hair styles?

If WCW had managed to hold on to Michael Wallstreet (IRS) and had him as the group's centrepoint they'd have been so much better. I loved the 'time limit' gimmick he had going, which fit in really well with the use of a predictive computer. As soon as he was gone though, it just became a case of turning guys for the sake of turning them (Rich and Morton), just because they had nothing else to do with them, and the computer just became a weapon, nothing more. Heck, even getting Greg Valentine in sooner would have been an improvement- just had him and Terrence Taylor as a team under the management of Miss York.

On a related note, I just don't get how Ricky (sorry, Richard!) Morton and Robert Gibson, members of one of the most exciting tag teams ever managed to have such a dull match at Great American Bash '90. There bout just epitomised the rest of that show for me. Pah!

Other factions that need mentioning (or is that shouldn't be mentioned, as in 'best forgotten'?) include WCW's Revolution (Benoit, Malenko, Saturn and Douglas) and also The Fabulous Freebirds when they expanded to include DDP, Big Daddy Dink and Badstreet. Overkill, anyone? Great idea in theory- a rock band and their entourage- they just ended up a watered down version of what they had been before. And I loved Hayes and Garvin as a team BTW...

• Paid Members
Other factions that need mentioning (or is that shouldn't be mentioned, as in 'best forgotten'?) include WCW's Revolution (Benoit, Malenko, Saturn and Douglas)

See, I wouldnt have minded the Revolution because three of them could really go. Problem was when Douglas came out and asked "Are you ready for a Revolution?" all I could think of was "I'm not ready for you, dickhead."

The version after they turned on Benoit and got Asya in was mind-numbingly boring. I had plenty of time for Saturn and Malenko as faces in WcW and most of everything they did in the WWF, but I couldnt be arsed with the Revolution.

On a related note, I just don't get how Ricky (sorry, Richard!) Morton and Robert Gibson, members of one of the most exciting tag teams ever managed to have such a dull match at Great American Bash '90. There bout just epitomised the rest of that show for me. Pah!

Yeah, couldn't believe how poor that was. Would probably have been a whole lot better if it was Gibson who went heel instead of Morton (not that either of them should have really.), but you'd think they could've come up with something a bit more interesting than that.

Sorry to be an annoying pedant though because i know it's just a typo; it was '91..... '90 had the absolutely tremendous Midnights/Southern Boys match and a fun RocknRolls v Doom. ;)

Other factions that need mentioning (or is that shouldn't be mentioned, as in 'best forgotten'?) include WCW's Revolution (Benoit, Malenko, Saturn and Douglas) and also The Fabulous Freebirds when they expanded to include DDP, Big Daddy Dink and Badstreet. Overkill, anyone? Great idea in theory- a rock band and their entourage- they just ended up a watered down version of what they had been before. And I loved Hayes and Garvin as a team BTW...

Nice shout on the expanded Freebirds; I remember when long time NWA jobber Rocky King was repackaged as Little Richard Marley and added to the group. Both pointless and worthless.

Oh yes, '91. See, I was trying to remember which year it was and for some utterly stupid reason I had it in my head that Sting beat Luger at Superbrawl 2, which I somehow miscalculated as being in '91. It wasn't a typo, just a bit of thickness. Just didn't want to relate this monstrosity as being anywhere so close to the awesomeness that was WCW in 1992. Yes, really. Major Dangerous Alliance/Bill Watts era mark, that's me. Even though the two are pretty much mutually exclusive...

And about Little Richard Marley- was he the guy who WWE used as Clarence Mason? Without wanting to come across as racist in any way, shape or form, I thought they looked a lot alike. Ignoring the fact that one of them wore a suit while the other wore... something. What was his get up meant to represent, anyway?

Ref, The Revolution- yep, it was Douglas and Asya that killed that one for me too. I'd actually forgotten about Asya. I just thought Douglas was a really bad fit- and when they had to change it from real wrestlers rebelling against the system to them supposedly being ACTUAL revolutionaries- it was too much. Can't believe they actually had them feuding against Jim Duggan...

The story was that she was called 'Asya', because Asya is bigger than Chyna.

Little Richard Marley and Clarence Mason were two different people. Although Mason ended up joining WCW in the Russo era, where he was known as Mr Biggs and was an associate or something of Harlem Heat (pretty certain this was during the Ahmed Johnson years).

I particularly enjoyed the WWF's faction warfare era, Savio Vega and Crush were dismissed by Nation kingpin Farooq and in came Kama, the dependable D-Lo became more than just a background character and some kid everyone hated called The Rock came on board. Savio and Crush swore revenge "went back to their roots" brought in their own teams to wage war against The Nation who totally would have won that thing if they'd kept Clarence Mason and PG-13 in their ranks. As usual though Vince went into faction overkill to the point where everybody seemed to be in a gang at some point, The Parade Of Human Oddities being a memorable lowlight. Luckily it did eventually bring us the reunion of The Hart Foundation and the rise of DeGeneration X.

I see where you're coming from with DX 2006. But having never been able to go see DX between 98 - 2000, I went to Butlins at the height of their rebirth.

I will never ever forget the unbelievable ovation they got when their music hit, and to be there for my very own "Lets get ready to suck iiiiiiiiiit!" is a memory this wrestling fan will hold onto for years.

I see where you're coming from with DX 2006. But having never been able to go see DX between 98 - 2000, I went to Butlins at the height of their rebirth.

I will never ever forget the unbelievable ovation they got when their music hit, and to be there for my very own "Lets get ready to suck iiiiiiiiiit!" is a memory this wrestling fan will hold onto for years.

I had a similar thing happen... twice.

I booked tickets for Wrestlemania 18, and ended up seeing the nWo, which I never in a million years expected after WCW died.

They, when I went out to see the Rumble in 2008, we saw a DX tag match at the RAW tapings, so I got to see the original DX together for the first time ever, again purely by chance.

The last DX run was bloody rubbish though. Just not at all funny.

Team Canada

Which one? WCW or TNA?

I thought the WCW one was pretty good, although I agree with Reznor that it would have been better had Carl 'The Rave' Ouellet stuck around. Storm was the ideal midcarder at that point and would have probably done pretty well for himself in the role had WCW continued. He always looked more comfortable there and ECW than in WWE, and WCW wasn

I don't think they have been mentioned yet, but the Latino World Order was a waste of time and seemed to serve little purpose.

True, it didn't succeed in doing very much but it had potential and I believe it WOULD have succeeding if figurehead Eddie Guerrero hadn't almost died in the car accident that Christmas. The gimmick was shelved when he wasn't there to lead it any more.

Archived