Mr. Seven's Top 50 Songs of 2010

Mr. Seven

* Just kidding June, yer alright.

Usual terms and conditions apply; if it was released this year in single format or on an album it meets my criteria. That said, this is an Annie-free list as I'm not repeating stuff from last year's list.YouTube links provided in the titles of the songs, I'm too lazy to do up download links and there's no point as it'd be quicker for people to just search for 'em.

Let's get ready to rumble then.

#50 -

- Hans Zimmer

inception-movie-poster.jpg

Sounds like: Hyperbole.

Whatever your feelings are on Inception (you're wrong unless you think it's insanely overrated and average kthxbye) the quality of its soundtrack is hard to ignore. It's a bit much at times (but then so is the film) but Hans Zimmer is a bit of a genius and knows how to rouse the blood and the senses all at once. It builds, it soars, it's totally ostentatious and more than a bit up itself. As such, it's a perfect fit.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Hans Zimmer also did the theme tune off Going for Gold, so you know he's safe.

Is this actually true? Or am I being a big fat mark and have just been suckered in? If true, that is a gem of a fact.

Yup, it's true.

One of Zimmer's most durable works from his time in the United Kingdom is the theme song for the television game show Going for Gold, which he composed with Sandy McClelland in 1987. In an interview with the BBC, Zimmer said: "Going For Gold was a lot of fun. It's the sort of stuff you do when you don't have a career yet. God, I just felt so lucky because this thing paid my rent for the longest time."

"Baby, it's forever."

#49 -

- The Drums

the-drums.jpg

Sounds like: The trailer to a Bret Easton Ellis film adaptation.

Overhyped, very annoying and really shit haircuts but can you really deny this song a place on an end of year list? It's pop perfection from its opening bars and no amount of pre-conceived hatred for the least "of the month" band can take that away from it. Incidentally I'm no fan The Drums and this is about all I can stomach, but it's fucking great stuff.

Should be an interesting list. Doubt there'll be a whole lot of overlap with mine anyway, knowing our different tastes.

I dig The Drums, but I think 'Book Of Stories' is a lot better than 'Forever and Ever'. The album was pretty disappointing but not awful, and I still like 'Let's Go Surfing' about two years on.

#48 -

- Deadmau5

deadmau5-dj.jpg

Sounds like: Electro, innit?

It's all about that change at 1:38. Like The Drums I've never really been a big fan of the Canadian mouse-loving DJ outside of the more high-octance stuff like Sofi Needs A Ladder but this strikes the right mix of down and up tempos.

"Cause all the good times, they give you cancer."

#47 - Party Poison - My Chemical Romance

mychemicalromancevidtrailer.jpg

Sounds like: A new direction.

Out with the bleached blonde hair, panda eyes and marching jackets. In with pink hair, motorcycle helmets, leather and all things faux-Mad Max. Gotta give the guys credit for attempting to reinvent themselves in the wake of their biggest success. Sadly, the album, while decent, doesn't come close to hitting the heights of Famous Last Words. This is one of the highlights.

One more for tonight.

"And I'll provoke the bulls with words."

#46 -

- The Tallest Man On Earth

The-Tallest-Man-on-Earth.jpg

Sounds like: Sweden's answer to Bob Dylan.

Not familiar with this guy? For shame. To YouTube with you, where you will search for I Won't Be Found. Do listen to this first though as it's an absolute belter. Raw and raspy as hell with a killer tongue-in-cheek attitude.

• Paid Members

I do love a bit of Deadmau5. Generally not his most commercially successful tracks- I didn't rate I Remember or Ghosts & Stuff much- but everything else he has done is cracking. Rockstar seem to love him lots going by the GTA4 & Chinatown Wars soundtracks.

I hate Hans Zimmer. For every decent effort he's churned out dozens of cookie-cutter soundtracks that suck the life out of films.

He doesn't even write most of it himself any more; he has a team of guys who can all write in his "style" who do most of the legwork.

• Paid Members
Hans Zimmer also did the theme tune off Going for Gold, so you know he's safe.

Is this actually true? Or am I being a big fat mark and have just been suckered in? If true, that is a gem of a fact.

Yup, it's true.

One of Zimmer's most durable works from his time in the United Kingdom is the theme song for the television game show Going for Gold, which he composed with Sandy McClelland in 1987. In an interview with the BBC, Zimmer said: "Going For Gold was a lot of fun. It's the sort of stuff you do when you don't have a career yet. God, I just felt so lucky because this thing paid my rent for the longest time."

Yeah, Zimmer did the tune. Here is a YouTube link to it. Excuse the not relevant video..

Archived