Mr. Seven

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#45 -

- Fuck Buttons

fuck-buttons-photo.jpeg

Sounds like: Drugs. (Again.)

Ten-and-a-half minutes of drugs to be precise. If 2009's ridiculously brilliant Tarot Sport album somehow passed you by, dive right in here at the deep end with a lengthy, swirling and very trippy electronica number.

"Cause you're tweeting me

like Tweety Bird on your iPhone"

#44 -

- M.I.A.

16_mia_lg.jpg

Sounds like: Swagger.

That above lyric is pretty fucking shit no? It's the type of thing someone would attempt in a bid to be post-modern, tech-savvy and apathetic all at once. So it's a good thing that firstly, M.I.A. is the one to do it, and secondly, that the music accompanying it is fucking awesome. It's far from her finest work and ever-so-slightly throwaway, so it's a measure of how good she is that even her more dismissive tracks are better than a lot of other things that are out there.

#43 -

- 65daysofstatic

65_frontcover.jpg

Sounds like: A cacophony. But a good one.

The above image is prettier than the band. So yeah, another ten-plus minutes track and also a little bit ravey with it. It's all about the instrumental musicianmanship this time round with this track chopping and changing before the absolutely HUGE crescendo.

• Paid Members

Good list so far, with the exception of The Drums. I get where you're coming from mind, there's almost always one good song even by the shittiest of bands.

I like MCR's new style. I was never a fan of them until their Desolation Row cover and I was hoping this album would be similar in style to that. I guess it KINDA is but I can't help but feel there's something missing to a lot of the stuff on this new album.

"We are the voices under the tracks."

#42 -

- Funeral Party

FuneralParty-01-big.jpg

Sounds like: A fitting title/band combination.

Can't help but get the feeling that this kind of piercing clang-clang indie is on the way out. If it's the case, it's a long time coming. Outside of that first Arctic Monkeys album nothing really stands up (quiet down the back, Libertines fans) so it's not a genre I'll especially miss. Saying that, a damn good indie song is still a damn good song, and Finale has enough foot-tapping groove to warrant a stay of execution for now.

"She was never pretty, she was only young."

#41 -

- Jamaica

jamaica_band.jpg

Sounds like: Phoenix.

Hmm. Declaring the death of indie and then subsequently posting a song that could qualify as that very genre of music? Bit of a faux-pas I must admit. Speaking of faux-pas, that's a French term. These guys are also French, and it's that, coupled with their jaunty pop soundings that has garnered comparisons to last year's huge French breakout stars Phoenix. It's a good little number in its own right though. Cute video too.

Archived