• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I guess he's an Xbox, and I'm more Atari."

#40 -

- Cee-Lo Green

cee-lo-green-closet-freak.jpg

Sounds like: This year's "Hey-Ya!"

I really wanted to hate this. In fact, I expect to hate it in about a month. For now though, I can't help but be drawn in by its infectious charms. As the title might suggest it's all a bit rude but the tongue-in-cheek nature combined with the upbeat throwback pop means it's terribly inoffensive. It's no Crazy but it's enough to keep Cee-Lo on the iPod playlists for now.

"Cause I've got no plans if you don't."

#39 -

- Tokyo Police Club

Tokyo-Police-Club.jpg

Sounds like: The music they play during the MOTD2 previews.

By gum, it is the music they play during the MOTD2 previews! It's also fun and enjoyable unlike Colin Murray who is a bit of a nasal prick in all fairness. TPC are one of the finer Strokes-style bands on the market, so give this a listen if you're not familiar.

"Waiting waiting waiting waiting..."

#38 - Boyfriend - Best Coast

best-coast-band.jpg

Sounds like: A different decade.

Hey it's the first (and possibly only?) crossover between this list and Flaming June's. I forget what he said about this so I hope I don't plagiarise. I'd look at this as a companion piece to that SoKo song I'll Kill Her from a few years ago. While that was the more extreme side of a womean singing about coveting a guy, this is more playful and dreamlike. Good make-out music too should you snag someone's significant other. Yeah I said "make-out". Deal with it.

"No one man should have all that power."

#37 -

- Kanye West

kanyeWest.jpg

Sounds like: Bragging, naturally.

Well wouldn't you? Kanye is a sensitive soul (just ask Taylor Swift) so after the critical apathy that met 808's & Heartbreak he must be happy that critics fell over themselves left, right and centre to praise this year's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. It's kind of surprising because it just ticks all the boxes that you'd expect on a rap album. It's good though, but let's calm down. Same rules apply here.

"And make it light all day."

#36 - Go Outside - Cults

cults.jpg

Sounds like: The most twee track on the list.

I'm not a fan of twee stuff. This hooked me though, from it's opening xylophone (I know, I know) notes. It's quite wintry now that I listen back to it. Nice song, don't think I could handle a whole album of it though.

"Away from the static and noise."

#35 - Buried By The Blues - Black Mountain

black-mountain.jpg

Sounds like: Something I shouldn't like.

I mean it's not far off from being something you'd hear in a wacky American church. That's not to suggest it's anything like Polyphonic Spree, but yeah it wouldn't shock me if the subtext of the lyrics was Jesus-friendly. Focusing on the surface, it's a nice breezy little number that washes over you should you allow it.

"FUCK YEAH!"

#34 - Fuck Yeah! - Drivepilot

Drivepilot.jpg

Sounds like: Does It Offend You, Yeah? meets Boys Noize.

If this doesn't grab you from the opening seconds it's not for you. If you don't grin like an idiot when the song drops its frenzy for just a moment to indulge in a twisted bass sound, it's not for you. If you don't like it when a song's production deliberately fucks with your ears when you have in-ear headphones in, this song is not for you. If you like something that's just the right side of obnoxious (and I'd imagine you do seeing as you're reading this) then this song is for you.

Archived