Mr. Seven's Top 50 Songs of 2010

Mr. Seven

"Will you look me in the eye?"

#33 -

- Tapes 'N' Tapes

tntpromo3.jpg

Sounds like: A bit of an anthem.

Okay the above promo picture is awful but the song is an absolute belter. Not quite on the level of Insistor, but they're unlikely to ever top that one much like The Walkmen with The Rat. If you haven't heard either of the aforementioned songs, do so immediately. This one is still very good though, honest.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I don't ever want to be here."

#32 -

- The Naked And Famous

nakedandfamous2010.jpg

Sounds like: If MGMT and Passion Pit had a baby.

I've robbed the above soundbite from a YouTube comment as I think it sums up this track and band perfectly. From the obvious musical similarities to the obvious assumption that The Naked And Famous will be The Official Hipster Band Of Choice next year. Just like MGMT and Passion Pit I expect to hate them after about six months. For now I will nail my colours to the mast and state that this track hits me in all the right places.

"Is it ever gonna be enough?"

#31 -

- Metric

metric-band-photo.jpg

Sounds like: Awesome pop perfection.

It's songs like this that make you forgive the whole Twilight selling-out. Ah fuck it, who can blame Emily Haines and co for wanting the exposure. They're damn good and thus deserve it. I'll save my ire for shit bands like Muse and say damn to the hypocrisy! Interesting sidenote; this song works wonders over football montages as I discovered when Irish broadcaster RTE (their football punditry puts the UK to shame by the way) signed off their World Cup coverage with a highlight reel of the tournament's best goals. Interesting sidenote #2: They included Lampard's "goal" against Germany. The cheeky feckers.

• Paid Members

Often enjoy this. Going to make my way through the songs currently posted over the next few days. Usually always discover at least one decent song that's completely new to me and/or be pleasantly surprised by some that Seven shares a love for.

On that note, i'll be a tad disappointed if Percussion Gun doesn't feature.

Note to pmdw: Percussion Gun was 2009. It's good though.

"No food or water for the better part of ten months."

#30 - Wide Eyes - Local Natives

Local-Natives-Pr-2010.jpg

Sounds like: Radiohead + Fleet Foxes X attitude.

It's haunting, it's etheral, it's got moments of individual brilliance and bite. It's a winner.

"Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to die!"

#29 - A More Perfect Union - Titus Andronicus

TitusAndronicus_large.jpg

Sounds like: A battle.

I was really disappointed with The Monitor. I guess a concept album about the American civil war was never really going to interest me to the point of fervour, but even outside of that I found the music too sprawling and a little self-indulgent. Such flaws are evident even here, but here it works for the most part. The spoken word outro is so good that it poses a question; do we include such detours and diversions as part of the song or just an outro? Have a listen and decide for yourself.

"I wanna live in an asylum!"

#28 -

- Not Squares

Not-Squares-trio.jpg

Sounds like: Reckless abandon.

Despite hailing from the Republic of Ireland, I don't pay much attention to the music scene up north. On the basis of this track I probably should as it kicks the shit out of a lot of what my half of this island has to offer. A heady mix of cowbells, shredding guitars and plain outright funk, it'll have you tapping your feet in about ten seconds.

"I can't ignore your lack of intellect."

#27 - Inspiration - Mushroomhead

mushroomhead-interview.jpg

Sounds like: Defiance.

One of the very few bands that I still love from my days as a nu-metal-loving idiot, Mushroomhead remain a frustrating prospect. On one hand they continue to make interesting music that apes the best parts of Mike Patton and Gary Numan, doing all this while no longer having the financial backing of a major label. On the other hand they do stupid interviews like

and put out even stupider music videos like
. And they also still continue the pointless Slipknot feud. Yep, it's tough being a Mushroomhead fan but I still love them. I just wouldn't want to go for a few pints with them.

"Yeah I don't wanna live for tomorrow."

#26 - Born Free - M.I.A.

mia-born-free-comp.jpg

Sounds like: Arrogance.

The image above comes from the song's lengthy and pretentious official video, which was banned from YouTube for being TOO CONTROVERSIAL. It should have been banned for being a load of fucking shit. The video depicts ginger folks being rounded up by a fascist militia and getting offed in gruesome fashion. One kid even gets shot in the head at point blank range. It's a desperate attempt to court controversy and makes absolutely no statement at all. This is particularly annoying because the song (some slightly wankerish lyrics aside) is fucking great. The bassline is ridiculous as is the machine gun refrain of the title lyric.

Sometimes a song should just be taken at face value, as digging underneath the surface can result in some painful and embarrassing truths. And a nine-minute music video in which gingers are likened to some of history's worst victims.

• Paid Members

I agree with you about the Born Free video, though I did like it at the time because it's been a while since there was a big music video controversy of some kind. Music videos just seem to be ignored mostly nowadays, although I haven't kept up to date as much this year so this could've changed. I miss the days of the crazy Aphex Twin videos.

Archived