Mr. Seven's Top 50 Songs of 2010

Mr. Seven

#18 -

- Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

the-social-network-soundtrack.jpg

Sounds like: Inspired genius.

It's a credit to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross that their score for David Fincher's excellent The Social Network that their score manages to contain the elements of what you would expect from the man behind Nine Inch Nails and yet also seamlessly blend into the background of the film, never once threatening to overtake the visuals, something which cannot be said of two of the year's other great soundtracks; namely Hans Zimmer's Inception and Daft Punk's TRON Legacy. They're both great scores and work as standalone albums much like this one, but the difference is that this one fully compliments the visual aspect without ever fighting for attention.

The one and only time Reznor and Ross's score almost eclipses what is onscreen is very intentional and is represented here with their manic reworking on Edvard Grieg's iconic piece. As you might expect, it's perfect.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You've gotta march!"

#17 -

- Sleigh Bells

sleigh_bells-santos-stereogum_22-608x405.jpg

Sounds like: The cool new kids in town.

Upon hearing Ring Ring (later retitled Rill Rill for who-knows-what reason) last year, I hailed Sleigh Bells as one of the breakout acts of 2010. I'm not patting myself on the back as it was a pretty safe bet. A boy/girl New York two-piece that churn out quick, catchy and energetic hipster-friendly tunes was never going to miss. The album is a little schizophrenic and just a little bit too over-reliant on the audio trickery, but the hits are palpable. Here's one; a track worthy of its title.

"Yeah, you know it."

#16 - Home - LCD Soundsystem

jamesmurphy_nymag.jpg

Sounds like: The end?

The problem with writing a song as good - nay downright brilliant - as All My Friends means that people are going to be looking for that same kind of song on your next release. Maybe it's me, maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there, but to me, Home really feels like a companion piece to the aforementioned. Both are over seven minutes in length, both feel incredibly honest and both have some very sobering lyrics behind the music. The reason All My Friends works is because you believe James Murphy. You believe that he believes what he's saying, and that the misgivings reflected are the same that he is feeling.

It's relatable certainly, but it's also quite tragic when you break it down. Home seems even more bleak especially when you read the lyrics in isolation. It's reminiscent of Bret Easton Ellis; a character struggling to find catharsis. It's perhaps no shock that Murphy has hinted that LCD Soundsystem might not be around for much longer.

"Little red nightgown, little red nightgown."

#15 -

- Matthew Dear

Matthew-Dear.jpg

Sounds like: Trent Reznor and Prince having sex. While the ghost of Michael Hutchence watches.

Gonna go all Jamie Redknapp here, but literally from the first second you know what you're in for here. It's unashamedly obnoxious and continues in the same (throbbing) vein for the duration. Honestly the first time I heard this I felt like I needed a shower afterwards. Ladies and gentlemen, this is sex music.

"Send you my love on a wire..."

#14 -

- Metric

Metric2.jpg

Sounds like: Further exposure.

Actually on second thoughts, maybe not seeing as Scott Pilgrim VS The World kinda flopped and isn't on the same radar as the ghastly Twilight series. Nonetheless Metric went above and beyond and got their music into another big (in some circles anyway) movie. This song is a much better one than what went in the neverending parade of sparkly vampires. It's straightforward enough but Metric have their brand of infectious footstompting pop down to a science at this point. Enjoy.

"Cowboys, Indians."

#13 -

- Sleigh Bells

SleighBells.jpg

Sounds like: A juxtaposition.

Back so soon! I mentioned before about Sleigh Bells and their reliance on audio trickery. Production is incredibly important. It's basically an instrument in its own right, and just like any musical instrument, when used correctly the results are good, but when used poorly, well it's ugly. This would be an example of using production as a fucking weapon, as this song is pretty basic when you strip it back, but the guitars, drums and vocals all threaten to come right out of your speakers and swallow you whole, all thanks to the ridiculous work put into the audio.

"Cause you earned it, when you burned me down."

#12 -

- The Dillinger Escape Plan

dep.jpg

Sounds like: Maturity.

I must confess that I am enjoying seeing some bands step out of their comfort zone. The end result can often be surprising and brilliant. Take Slipknot for example. Recent songs such as Vermillion Part 2, Circle and Snuff might appall the great unwashed, but no band should be afraid of experimentation. New Jersey's finest noise terrorists The Dillinger Escape Plan understand this too, and while album Option Paralysis is full to the brim of their usual carnage, there's room for more contemplative fare in which their wear their Mike Patton-influenced hearts on their sleeve, as is the case here.

"Who knows what she's gonna say?"

#11 -

- Caribou

caribou.jpg

Sounds like: A true original.

I'll admit I didn't warm to this right away. It took a few months for it to really kick in, thanks in part to its seemingly ubiqutous presence on FIFA 11. One of the most distinctive and different tracks I've heard all year. It's like Animal Collective except it's accessible, has a beat and makes sense.

• Paid Members

This list has picked up again for me, Sev. Really love The Social Network soundtrack and, being a huge fan of Scott Pilgrim, also Black Sheep. It's a shame to hear that LCD Soundsystem may not stick around as they have been one of my favorite modern bands. I'm just glad I got to see them live this year if they do split up.

As far as predictions go? I can't remember whether NYC Moves To The Sound Of LA was this year or last but that may make an appearance. There are a few LCD songs that could as This Is Happening was a fantastic album (my personal pick would be Dance Yrself Clean). No Yeasayer yet either, I could see maybe Ambling Alp or Rome possibly. Can't remember how you feel about them but Gorillaz latest album had some stand outs for me like Glitterfreeze and Rhinestone Eyes. Massive Attack's Heligoland was this year too right? Pray For Rain was the highlight there.

I think that, seeing as your such a massive fan, We No Speak Americano is clearly number one though ;)

EDIT - Wow, that Sleigh Bells tune is amazing. Thanks for clueing me up on those.

I also just thought of maybe The Vaccines - Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra). Quite short and catchy release from this year.

That Sleigh Bells album has become my favourite of the year. It's loud and obnoxious, but fuck me it's fun. Odessa might well have been my #1 track.

Dunno about predictions. I'll have a go at.....

10. Gayngs - The gaudy side of town

9. Something by the National

8. Ariels Pink Haunted Graffiti - Round and round

7. Beach House - Walk in the park

6. Janelle Monae - Cold war

5. Florrie - Left too late

4. Sleigh Bells - Run the heart

3. Tinie Tempah - Pass Out

2. School of Seven Bells - Windstorm (very Mr Sev tune imo)

1. Kanye West - Runaway

lol, idk how you're really supposed to guess someone elses taste.

• Paid Members
Kings of Leon's "No Money" is a shoe in for number one.

I think you're unfairly overlooking the chances of Whip My Hair, really.

Surely it's got to be Olly Murs "Thinking of Me" or Matt Cardle's "When We Collide"?

Archived