Mr. Seven's Top 50 Songs of 2010

Mr. Seven

• Paid Members
Note to pmdw: Percussion Gun was 2009.

I'm certain it was released Jan 2010. Oh well.

Good to see some Local Natives in here.

As mentioned in my other posts, this list usually surprises me for songs you share love for. 'XXXO' and 'Punching in a Dream' definitely take that 'honour' so far.

Cheers for Drivepilot. Something i'd probably never have stumbled across myself but i really love it for reasons i can't quite put my finger on. Liked the Metric track too. Looking like a good list, look forward to the rest.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Enjoying the list as per usual, definitely expecting something from Option Paralysis to pop up in the top 10.

Don't go spoiling things. ;)

Right, might as well throw down five more:

"Who the fuck are y'all?"

#25 - Over - Drake

drake.jpg

Sounds like: Bravado.

A lot of "real" rap fans don't like Drake. Then again a lot of "real" rap fans are pretentious assholes and usually as pale white as I am. "His lyrics are juvenile and non-complex!" , they whine while salivating over the latest Kanye West release without a care in the world for hypocrisy. Drake is the new kid in town, championed by the likes of Lil Wayne, Jay Z, Eminem et al, and while the above track doesn't come close to last year's ridiculously cheeky Best I Ever Had, it's a fun jaunt complete with the ego you would expect from the heir to the throne, all set to a wonderfully infectious marching drum beat.

"I need to feel something different for just a little while."

#24 -

- Cloud Cult

cloudcult-785713.jpg

Sounds like: If The Postal Service used acoustic instruments.

Ignore the terrible picture above - honestly ever year this thing throws up some horrible band promo photos - and instead focus on the wonderful dreamlike music. As a drummer I was always going to fall for this from the opening beat. It's both a nice beat and excellent production so that's me sold. Thankfully the entire song holds up. Nice video too.

"What ya lookin' at?"

#23 - Kidz - Take That

(NB: It's impossible to find a version of this on YouTube that doesn't have the vocals set to a high pitch, so the link is a fairly poor Radio 1 rip complete with annoying DJ - you'll get the gist, but I do reccommend downloading the album itself)

_49898256_pic_2.jpg

Sounds like: Rebirth.

Where to even start with this? Take That have pulled off the impossible by managing to be even more successful than their previous incarnation while making music that's interesting, respectable and - whisper it - superior to some of the more "credible acts" out there. This song for instance is the best Muse song of the last four years, thanks in part to the Devon trio evolving into absolute dirge but also thanks to Take That for taking risks that they really didn't need to, namely in going down a very electro-tinged road with recent album Progress and by bringing black sheep Robbie Williams back into the fold.

It's really quite a feat when you find yourself praising the involvement of Williams considering how much of an annoying prick he is, but he works on the album and he works here, presenting a rousing chorus to Mark Owen's cocky, conspiracy-laden prose.

#21 - Derezzed - Daft Punk

daft-punk-tron.jpg

Sounds like: Hands down, the best thing about TRON Legacy.

TRON Legacy is a very boring movie. It's a really expensive and pretty light show that threatens to never end. The saving grace is Daft Punk, who provided an excellent score that works as a standalone album, though is a departure from their usual club anthems. It's a very orchestral and moody work, not a million miles away from Hans Zimmer. This track however, is much more inkeeping with what Daft Punk fans might expect, a frenetic two-minute footstomper that leaves you wanting more.

"250,000 miles on a clear night in June..."

#20 -

- Eminem

eminem-2010_normal.jpg

Sounds like: A surprise.

Should preface that I'm not an Eminem fan, nor do I have any real interest in his current output, but this was recommended to me so I gave it a shot. It's the usual Eminem thing for the first minute or so (he's good at what he does, don't get me wrong) but it gives way to one of the more unexpected choruses of the year, a chorus that had me questioning "Do I like this?" for days on end (not all the time of course, I'm not insane). In the end I decided that I did like it, very much so indeed. It's a pretty brave move to not only include such a jarring chorus but to give it to a relative unknown, and as proven here, the right move.

"I am in control."

#19 -

- Crystal Castles ft. Robert Smith

Crystal-Castles.jpg

Sounds like: A marriage made in heaven.

I wonder just how responsible Alice Glass is for the influx of girls dressing like boys and cutting their hair short and all that. Probably not very as Crystal Castles remain big fishes in a relatively small (by the standards of the music industry) pond. Kudos to Ms Glass should she have played a part as some of dem girls be lookin' fiiiiiiiiine. Ok that was weird, I'll stop now. There's a song here you know. And it's a good one. Crystal Castles and Robert Smith is such an obvious coupling that I don't think I can call it inspired. It's a pairing that works wonders, with his (still!) angsty vocals complimenting the punk-synth stylings of the Canadian duo. The high-pitched barrage on the choruses is a particular highlight.

• Paid Members

After enjoying almost every song the last five or six I've not liked at all. Particularly hate Crystal Castles and think Robert Smith could've given his talents to someone better. I really really REALLY wanted to like it because of his involvement but I just can't get into it at all.

Shocked to see Eminem make an appearance too. Songs like We Made You I think have soured me on the guy for life now.

Archived