Film 2010 with the UKFF

Weezenal

• Paid Members

I try not to go to the cinema if possible because there are people there, and you know what they're like. I generally wait for films to come out on DVD so I can watch them properly, in my pants, and pause them if I need a crap. So I probably haven't seen many films released this year except for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which was excellent but with a pretty crap ending.

In the spirit of Ultimo's idea about films I've seen anew this year that were great though:-

Transsiberian (2008) - has anyone else fucking seen this or what? And if not, why not? Cracking little thriller with at least three great plot twists and occurrences and a quality Ben Kingsley turn to boot. Great stuff.

Tell No-One (2006) - aside from a really corny 'villain explains why he's done what he's done a la Scooby Doo' twist near the end, I absolutely loved this. I'm a sucker for a good conspiracy thriller, and this is a really good one. Sure to be remade ineptly by Hollywood at some point.

Marebito (2004) - I wasn't sure how much I liked this at the time because I was probably too confused but having thought about it, it's amazing. Nice to see something different from the usual Asian horror fare too. Shimizu should have spent less time arseing around with Ju-On / The Grudge and doing more stuff like this.

No Country For Old Men (2007) - I still remember some mong on here who, in the same review, gave this 2/5 and Paul Blart: Mall Cop 5/5, being rightly told he was the worst person of all time. I still reckon Fargo is the Coens' best and I maybe slightly prefer Miller's Crossing too. But it really is absolutely great on practically every level.

Hidden (2005) - the quicker Michael Haneke and Daniel Auteuil do another film together, the better. Here's how to make a great thriller without farting around with anything other than just a really good story.

Zodiac (2007) - one of those films I just never wanted to end. I still think that Robert Downey Jr is overrated and he almost always puts in the same performance regardless of what he is in, but he just about manages to reign himself in enough not to overwhelm a film that is David Fincher's best since Se7en.

There are others that I've forgotten too, probably.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of Kick-Ass, it's obnoxious trash masquerading as a brilliant slice of pop culture. Read Devin Faraci's odious review on CHUD.com for an example of someone desperately trying to attach deep meaning to a terrible piece of work.

• Paid Members
Up In The Air is from 2009 is it not? It's shit either way.

Tony's from 2009 as well.

Up In The Air came out here in january and Tony was released on 5th February

Did it? Sorry man, I was certain it was a 2009 film. I saw it on DVD and it's credited as being a 2009 film on that. Maybe that's just when it was filmed though, I dunno.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in a movie or how much you read into a movie. I seen Kick-Ass as pretty much a great fun way to spend a couple of hours. Thought it had a brilliant score which complimented it brilliantly as well.

As for Inception, I thought that the first 30 minutes were unforgivably bad. From that point onwards it got better, but I certainly don't plan on watching it again.

I haven't seen much of 2010 movies though. I'll need to rectify that.

• Paid Members
Only seen three this year: Whip It. Kick-Ass and Four Lions. Really liked all three.

I fell asleep watching that and never got to finish it before my rental expired. I was getting into it.

I hated the first half then loved it because they went in a couple of good directions with the story (as I said in the DVDs thread)

Kick ass and inception for me. Iron man 2 was perhaps my biggest dissapointment, it wasnt a bad film but wasnt nowhere near as good as the first.

Loved the first and the first 40 minutes of 2 were awesone but it went down hill fast as soon as SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

The Shield shit appeared

which i have zero interest in. Scarlett Johansson is awfull, yeah shes got great tits but shes a fucking charisma vacuum

Up In The Air is from 2009 is it not? It's shit either way.

Tony's from 2009 as well.

Up In The Air came out here in january and Tony was released on 5th February

Did it? Sorry man, I was certain it was a 2009 film. I saw it on DVD and it's credited as being a 2009 film on that. Maybe that's just when it was filmed though, I dunno.

Always happens, watched Animal Kingdom (aussie film, suprisingly good) last month and that's not due out untill next year. Saw Mary & Max last year but it only came out here a few months ago. No wonder people download films

Some critics lists

Richard Brody (The New Yorker)

1. "Shutter Island" (Martin Scorsese)

2. "The Social Network" (David Fincher)

3. "Somewhere" (Sofia Coppola)

4. "Greenberg" (Noah Baumbach)

For anyone who went apeshit over Inception, feel free to explain why. The reaction to that film still puzzles me. It was as if people had never seen moving pictures on a screen before.

I think it was because it was the first big blockbuster for a long time that was quite brave and clever with its story. Not my personal opinion but just me offering an explanation. Plus it had a very 'must see' feel about it.

Nicholas Cage stole the year for me

I really don't get the Kick Ass love. Went in expecting a great comedy and sniggered twice. That said, Nicholas Cage is superb in this but I feel that was not enough to save it. Scott Pilgrim was better by quite a distance.

I couldn't even get through 30 minutes of Scott Pilgrim (to be exact I got as far as Scott explaining the origin of Pacman to Knives before I threw the towel in) which is ruined by the fact that Scott is such a punchable little cunt.

Kick-Ass is certainly no masterpiece but I managed to get through the entire film and mostly enjoyed it.

• Paid Members
Kick Ass was fun, but I never need to see it again. Throwaway; not something that should be anywhere near these lists.

4 Lions gets my number 1 spot, no contest.

I did like 4 Lions but found it a bit frustrating as it kept swinging between being serious and emotional and comedy. That's obviously how it's supposed to be but I felt that it cancelled itself out by not being able to be too serious and not funny enough.

Archived