1PW Return in 2011

ClutchedByTheCamel

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the ins and outs here but am i not right in thinking that once you have finished a prison sentance you have "repaid your debt to society"???

Indeed.

But say, hypothetically here seen as all I'm going off here is a previous poster, say Dirty Oil just got out of prison on charges of fraud or something minor - Sounds plausible right?

And you're the 1PW promoter. You've recently been accused of fraud yourself. You had to shut up shop after not paying a lot of the workers from your last show. The 1PW name has been steeped in controvery and stories of dodgy deals and money vanishing from previous owners.

You need to show you've turned over a new leaf, and create a fresh start to distance yourself from all past activities.

Whats your first action? Hire someone recently out of jail who's also had past accusations of theft and lying to his name.

Yeah, that just doesn't give the right impression..........

Unless I was looking for specific seats or I knew an event was going to be sold out i'd pay on the day for any event or screening.

Though i suppose if you're promoting a show and pre sales aren't going great and someone of note from the card has to pull out (which happens all the time and in UK wrestling that's usually because they get a better offer abroad) then the level of pre sales is going to seriously affect the quality of the replacement. When they are advertising Samoa Joe and it turns out at the last minute he doesn't like the cold and pre sales are shit then on the night nearly a thousand plus pay in the promoter ends up kicking himself for booking Rene Dupree as the replacement :)

But that's exactly it.

That's always been 1PW's problem.

They announce the names and hope the pre-sale or on the day walk up will be enough to pay for them, and it rarely is.

So that's why you do get people drop out and replacements drafted in last minute. And if Fludder, Wrestlemaniac and that custom figure guy all pay money in advance and then feel ripped off when they don't get what they paid for...... Well tough shit, card subject to change right?

Just to clarify... NO FUCKING CHANCE

Personally, i love quality brit wres and love imports, 1PW was obviously up my street. Now i was only a show go'er from V2 onwards and things obviously went wrong, very wrong.

I will never pre pay for any wrestling show that isn't run by Sloan, purely because so far out of the promotions i have seen live, Sloan's shows are the only ones that have actually provided what they have claimed.

Ive been jipped 3 times in total and in fairness, they were all completley different companies. The wrestleslam fuck up was what it was, no need to go in to it again, the north east superstar wrestling show pretended to bring imports over for a charity event but never did and didnt give the money to the charity... i felt i had fair ground to complain and feel 'ripped off' about those two events. I can barely remember the details of the third one, other than being told that i could have a refund and then not getting it.

1PW - ive never cried murder about this company. Ive been to three of their events, two of which i didnt even pay for, one of which was a free ticket from winning a competition and the other free ticket was given to me by Gauntly because he cancelled the 101 show, i was also refunded for what i spent on the 101 ticket. I pre paid for the other show (that being the first 1PW show i attended).

Ive read pages and pages of other people claiming to have been ripped off and admittedly i have said things such as "sounds dodgy as fuck", and "i won't be pre booking tickets" which i haven't.

Whilst gut feeling says the show sounds great, theory kicks in very quickly and promptly says that it will be a complete and utter ordeal.

Now going by previous 1PW shows ive attended, i would expect the following...

I will need to get a train for 3 hours, stay in a hotel and then travel another 3 hours back home.

There will obviously be no-shows and excuses for them and the show will start much later than advertised.

There will be bother between venue and the promotion.

Regardless of all of the above, i will go home thinking.. that was a fucking brilliant show.

I wont be pre ordering tickets but have admittedly been tempted by the chester convo'... although deep down i know i wont be pre ordering. In terms of attending a 1PW show, i think it will be a case of if i am in the area and can pay on the door, i will more than likely buy a ticket. I can't see me going to their shows other than it being that kind of situation, at least not until the promotion can be completley trusted... which is either going to take fucking years, or simply isnt going to happen.

• Paid Members
who or what was the north east superstar wrestling show Kaz?

I think it was the organisation called Superstar Wrestling, that were advertising British wrestling legend David Taylor on their card at the Tyne Journal Theatre, but Dave Taylor didn't turn up and I think the money didn't end up at the charity funds it was said the funds were being raised for.

Didn't Taylor's agent confirm that he hadn't actually been booked?

I spoke to Dave Taylor at IPW and he confirmed he was booked and in the country.

So why didn't he turn up?

Maybe he didn't receive his retainer, maybe he had a cold - ask Dave.

Fuck I asked Dave at CHIKARA last year and I can't remember the answer now.

I think it was something along the lines of someone sent him an e-mail saying the show was cancelled, no one tried to get hold of him during the day of the show, it was only afterwards they started accusing him of no-showing.

I know I got a definitive answer and posted it before but I genuinely can't remember right now.

• Paid Members
Fuck I asked Dave at CHIKARA last year and I can't remember the answer now.

I think it was something along the lines of someone sent him an e-mail saying the show was cancelled, no one tried to get hold of him during the day of the show, it was only afterwards they started accusing him of no-showing.

I know I got a definitive answer and posted it before but I genuinely can't remember right now.

Thats the story i have heard (probs from your original post), something along the lines of they booked him but the promotion didn't stick to the agreed deal (should have paid him x amount first). It also came to light that someone from the promotion apparently contacted him saying that it was cancelled but they would be back in touch to confirm but never did contact him to say "yes its still on".

I've also heard a lot of wrestlers who appeared at the show were apparently kept in the dark on the day were left to sort out a new show format. (thats not 100%, just what ive heard, but seeing that the promotion never gave the money raised to the charity, i wouldn't be surprised).

Just before that event happened, they were claiming to have booked RVD for their 'next' show, again for charity. They started taking pre bookings, some people obviously pre booked but that show never actually happened. They just vanished after the Taylor no show.

Scamming punters is bad enough, but scamming a charity... bad crack.

Got a good laugh from the latest Facebook statement from these guys.

One Pro Wrestling

This business isn't about being greedy, it's not about becoming a millionaire. Because that will never happen. Promoters should be content with knowing there doing a good job in entertaining people. For them few hours, give people a chance to escape and caught up in the moment. If your in it for the money.. Get the f out.

Not sure who or what its aimed at but I'm pretty sure not making money is whats torpedoed that company more times than can be counted.

Not a clue what that's about...

They have released a video confirming Sean Waltman/X-Pac for their show in May, and he's promising to bring "The Band" with him. From the sounds of things, they've also made some progress in regards to being at Download next year.

Not a clue what that's about...

They have released a video confirming Sean Waltman/X-Pac for their show in May, and he's promising to bring "The Band" with him. From the sounds of things, they've also made some progress in regards to being at Download next year.

Is "The Band" his pet name for his hepatitis?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived