Summer festivals 2011

brett

I think Biffy are an odd choice to headline Sonisphere, but the fact they do sell out arenas now means they can realistically headline a festival now. I'd have just thought they'd be better suited to festivals like Reading or T in the Park as their fans are more to the indie end of the rock side of things than metal (bit of a generalisation I know)

They did do Reading last year and were about 3rd of 4th Down.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Biffy are massively popular now though. I love all there albums, so with at least an hour and a half set i think they will play a good mixture from each album. If Faith No More are the other headliner that would be near perfect for me.

They're not headliners. They're big. NOT massive. A big band who've had one pretty successful album.

As for the set, if it's like their SECC set, it'll be pretty much the entire Only Revolutions album, a lot of Puzzle and tiny smatterings of the rest.

I think this more of a showing on Festivals in general. These festivals have been going on for years now and all the proper headline acts have been exhausted and new ones have to be created. Isle of Wight Festival has the same problem. Their is next to no one left that tours to play that is on the same scale as The Who, Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones or Sting & The Police so we have Kasibian. It's a sign of the times.

• Paid Members

Heard lots of dissapointed folks with regards to LP, but I've never seen them and personally I'm all for that announcement. Still getting into Rob Zombie but that already sounds pretty tasty to me.

I just can't see Biffy as a headline act at all, but then put on a good show and I'm all for being proved wrong.

• Paid Members

I think the booking of Biffy to headline Soni is an excellent, long-term move. As a keen, regular festival goer the discussion every year about headliners revolves around the same dozen or so bands who seem to rotate around the festival circuit. The only surprises come when a band decide to reunite for the cash before going back to whatever they were doing before (FNM, The Verve & this year SOAD).

We know that Maiden, Metallica et al wont be around forever & people have been moaning about repeat booking for the past few years. Who are the bands to take the mantle for the next 10 years? Biffy & BFMV, like them or not are really the only two British rock acts that sell out Arena's that aren't yet deemed headliners. It takes one festival to grow some spuds & promote an established, popular band to headliner status. Especially when they could've just booked Muse.

Another plus side to having Biffy Clyro is they'll have cost significantly less than a Metallica or an Iron Maiden so they'll have more to spend on the rest of the bill. I'd still rather have seen a higher calibre of band personally, they we're alright at Reading last year, but most people weren't really interested (maybe because it was like the fucking Somme down there) and Queens of the Stone Age were up next and blew them

off the stage.

In other festival news, High Voltage will be headlined by Judas Priest (their last ever UK appearance) and Dream Theater. I'd be interested in seeing DT but I just don't know without Portnoy in the band. Interesting that they're headlining too, but High Voltage is a much smaller scale. Its also

Mon the Biff! I agree. It's cool to see a new band reaching that level. They were third top at Leeds and are always a big deal at TITP. They're a great band and from what I heard, their recent tour was a really spectacular show. I think they'll do just fine. And as Harvey Dent says, it means more cash to spend on the rest of the line-up, so it could be a deeper line-up than you might normally expect. That's got to be a good thing.

• Paid Members

wow! great news to see Biffy Clyro headline. People will hate, but as others have said, festivals need new headliners. The fucking rumors that go around every year of all these haggard old classic bands playing is ridiculous. Get some fucking new blood up there.

There was a comment on the metal hammer website that said something like would you rather see a hungry young band go up and play the show of their lives or would you rather see Aerosmith phone it in and not give a fuck.

and another great thing is, Biffy Clyro got there the hardway, that band has been touring non-stop for like 10 years, they aint a flash in the pan succces, outstanding achievment.

There was similar resentment when Feeder headined Download back in like 95, people were pissed at the announcement, but they down fucking great on the night.

wow! great news to see Biffy Clyro headline. People will hate, but as others have said, festivals need new headliners. The fucking rumors that go around every year of all these haggard old classic bands playing is ridiculous. Get some fucking new blood up there.

There was a comment on the metal hammer website that said something like would you rather see a hungry young band go up and play the show of their lives or would you rather see Aerosmith phone it in and not give a fuck.

and another great thing is, Biffy Clyro got there the hardway, that band has been touring non-stop for like 10 years, they aint a flash in the pan succces, outstanding achievment.

There was similar resentment when Feeder headined Download back in like 95, people were pissed at the announcement, but they down fucking great on the night.

2005, they looked nervous as fuck but did a good job.

Exactly. If they are going to have fresh bands headline (which i'm all for) i'd rather it be someone that has toured over the country for years, than one who has released one album and got popular.

Im not swayed by Download so far, so may well end up at either Bloodstock (I know I said something about it an air of snobbery earlier in the thread, but willing to give it a chance) or High Voltage for Priest's "final" appearence and Dream Theater (so glad I got to see them before Portnoy left)

Im not swayed by Download so far, so may well end up at either Bloodstock (I know I said something about it an air of snobbery earlier in the thread, but willing to give it a chance) or High Voltage for Priest's "final" appearence and Dream Theater (so glad I got to see them before Portnoy left)

Go to Bloodstock it'll be my 3rd one next year, to be honest never seen much snobbery. Unless you count the Manowar fans !!! Anyways I'm always having too much fun to be worrying about everyone else.

Added to the Isle of Wight are ...

Manic Street Preachers, Public Image Ltd., Cast, Hadouken!, Nick Lowe and Brother. These bands, headliners first and then in order the way down, are playing the Big Top on the Sunday.

Two Door Cinema Club are playing the main stage on the same day.

Archived