18 years ago today....... 29th August 1992

Fat Boy Mendoza

qz3udx.jpg

Today marks 18 years since the biggest wrestling event to be held in the UK to date. 80,355 people attended Summerslam at Wembley Stadium and watched as The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith won the Intercontinental Championship from Bret The Hitman Hart

As a 12 year old I was there with 2 friends and one of their Dad's. We were sat right up in the Gods but it was an amazing experience.

Any other UKFFers have a fond experience of this day ??

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mum's old boyfriend was there that day when he was 12/13 or so, he said he had a cracking time there. Was it really the biggest wrestling show in UK history though, (not for crowd sizes, but for how big the actual thing was.)? Big Daddy Vs Ginat Haystacks must have been talked about alot over here, that must have been huge.

I remember getting out of the car at Wembley Stadium car park, and going to look over the edge because I always used to do that as a child. Underneath us was a hearse, and I got really excited shouting "THE UNDERTAKER IS HERE!!!". Apart from being 12 and loving every single second of the event itself, that is my main memory. That and Sherri's arseless trousers.

• Paid Members

Remember collecting cutouts of wrestlers from the event in the Sun for a big wallchart you had to send away for. Wrestling was so colourful back then and I had so much excitment even buying a newspaper to get a photo of Crush. Fuck, I used to love it back then. All I wanted to know was "who's side is Mr. Perfect going to be on?"

I was on a family camping holiday in Weymouth that week (aah, those were the days!) so the only wrestling I got to see that week was a show in the holiday camp bar which had Robbie Brookside on it.

However, my friend had recorded it and I remember being SO excited to get back and see it (remember, this was pre-internet, kids! Couldn't look up spoilers online.), especially to see whether The Undertaker (HUGE Undertaker mark) could beat Kamala and if The Bulldog (HUGE Bulldog mark) could beat Bret.

Sadly, as I usually do on these type of holidays, I got some nasty illness (food poisoning I think) so had to wait even longer before I could properly appreciate it.

As has been said, it was so magical and special when I was a kid, I still kinda half bought it as sorta kinda real so was a real mark for the WWF and the advertising for it was HUGE (newer fans simply cannot appreciate how big the WWF was in England at the time).

Great days. Great days.

I was there and loved every minute of the day - I was actually working and took a bunch of people down on a coach from Hull. The company I was working for at the time (Selbys Travel) must have sent 5 or 6 coaches down from Hull alone. I actually got in for free as someone did not turn up for the coach pick up so we had spare tickets. Remember having a great laugh both on the way there and back even though it was a stupidly long day.

Looking back the highlight of the whole thing for me (aside from Hart/Smith) is the kid at the beginning of the video/DVD cutting the 'British Bulldog is gonna win..........whether he wants too or not' promo in his best 'British kid trying to sound American' voice. Still gets a laugh out of me after all this time.

Just the note above re the 'British Bulldog is gonna win' - Sir, you are a legend.

What a brilliant event! I remember all the advertising that was going on around that time and me and my brother cutting out the pictures of Savage, Warrior and Bulldog to stick on our bedroom walls :laugh:

Our uncle recorded it for us and we still have the tape and we watched that so many times. I was a huge fan of HBK (still am of course), Bret Hart, Macho Man, Undertaker, Sherri, Nasty Boys (?!?!) and Mr Perfect. Just wish I had actually been there.

Have since bought the Tagged Classic dvd of this as the tape was getting a tad worn out :thumbsup:

I was right in my claim on the day and the bulldog did win, whether he wanted to or not

:laugh:

Please tell me that wasn't you Tommy?! I still to this day cant work out if it was a boy or girl!

John Lister did a cracking analysis on that very line in a Hulk Who? of yore. Wonder whether he can post it here?

Passed my driving test the week before, drove up with 3 friends in a Metro.

Good times at the show (although the seats were fucked, so we paid more for seats in the gods, but don't think I am on my own there).

Great atmosphere, great times. Just plain amazing.

Still got my ticket and programme.

Am positively not the boy/girl Bulldog fan with no sense of logical argument.

I was sitting 6 rows from the back of Wembley Stadium on the side opposite the entrance.

Because the sun was shining directly on the video screen above the ring for the first couple of hours I missed loads of stuff because of being so far away, like I never knew LOD came to the ring or motorbikes or the whole Sherri getting drenched thing until I watched it on telly.

I've still got my t-shirt with Bret & Davey Boy on it and other older fans usually come up and start a conversation when I've worn it to wrestling events.

And as for the gigantic fluorescent green baseball cap? Look how happy it made me ...

738842233_l.jpg

:blush:

• Paid Members
GREAT MOMENTS IN WRESTLING #5: The SummerSlam '92 Vox Pop

August 29th 1992. Wembley Stadium. 80,000 Brits gather to see a show where Kamala, the Bushwhackers and Jim Duggan are in action but Ric Flair is on the bench.

Two days later the show is shown on pay-per-view in the States and Sky Sports in Britain. It opens with a montage of fan opinions on what will happen in the two main events. Oddly enough, Dave Wright's prediction that "Warrior wins by countout and then Flair gets the belt in Hersey, Pennsylvania like it says in the Observer" is not selected for broadcast.

Then comes the classic. A lad of about 11, complete with pudding basin haircut, looks straight into the camera and proclaims "The Bulldog's going to win, whether he wants to or not."

Let us analyse this statement. First of all, why on earth would the Bulldog not want to win? Did he particularly want to let down the biggest crowd in WWF history? Or maybe he was about to jump to WCW and wanted to spoil the big show? I think not.

Then we come to the suggestion that he had no way of controlling whether or not he won the match. Even allowing for mark logic, there would be nothing to stop Davey Boy simply taking a walk mid-match. That'll stop you winning every time.

So what this bizarre statement came down to is was a suggestion that the match would somehow be be influenced so that, whatever he and the Bulldog desired and expected, Bret Hart would lose.

Just a moment. I think the lad might be on to something there.

Archived