18 years ago today....... 29th August 1992

Fat Boy Mendoza

• Paid Members

Actually going to watch a WWF show was a pipedream for me at the time, and was something I wouldn't get to do until 2002. But I can only recall the absoloute buzz in school for weeks leading up to the event. At that time, one morning a week we used to create our own 'Newspaper' with various stories etc in there. I can remember every boy in the class covered Summerslam, and we brought cut outs from the Sun etc to put in ourselves.

I also remember that wallchart, and had it on my wall for many years afterwards.

I watched the event at a mate's house as I was relying on tapes and magazines at the time, but I vaguely remember Richard Keys popping up in the middle of it, or is my mind playing tricks on me?!

Thought LOD v Money Inc was a nice little opener. But as mentioned earlier, the best part is the opening bit with the two frizzy haired HBK fans, the lad with a Big Boss Man hat who seemed to have insight into the WWF booking team, and the absoloute looks that could kill between the two girls with Ultimate Warrior facepaint.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved this event as a kid, and I really did switch from the Hitman camp to the Bulldog one after seeing SummerSlam `92. Hence why I was disappointed when Davey Boy got fired, and I think it was Bulldog's move to WCW that got me watching Worldwide regularly in 1993.

My favourite SummerSlam from this era is still 1991, though.

I watched the event at a mate's house as I was relying on tapes and magazines at the time, but I vaguely remember Richard Keys popping up in the middle of it, or is my mind playing tricks on me?!

Spot on about Richard Keys, Sky Sports was being turned into a subscription channel and he was promoting the premier league to try and get people to pay for the channel. WWE PPV's were shown on Sky Movies up to this point and then moved to Sky Sports when it became subscription based. The date of Sky Sports being turned to subscription was delayed which meant those of us lucky enough to have Sky could watch Summerslam for free.

I was also lucky enough to attend the actual event and being my first WWE event and never been at Wembley before I was totally blown away. I remember the atmosphere being electric. Remember the show being 4 hours long but they cut 4 match from the Sky Sports screening, they were Hacksaw and the Bushwackers vs the Mountie and the Nasty Boys, Tito Santana vs Papa Shango which took place before the opening ceremony so you could class these as dark matches, plus Crush vs Repo Man and Tatanka vs Berserker during the show.

Was convinced that the Warrior would win the WWE title, gutted when he didn't. I was a big Bret Hart fan as well but even as an 11 year old kid knew that the Bulldog was going to win with the event being held in the UK.

I've been to Wrestlemania and would put Summerslam experience on par.

• 8 months later...

Just reading something about summerslam, officially this is the 2nd biggest crowd for WWE but maybe even the biggest as the wrestlemania 3 attendance may not be accurate.

Did not realize that and pretty amazing.

Just reading something about summerslam, officially this is the 2nd biggest crowd for WWE but maybe even the biggest as the wrestlemania 3 attendance may not be accurate.

Did not realize that and pretty amazing.

Makes it more amazing theyve never properly tried to replicate it over here. I mentioned in a WrestleMania thread not so long ago about whether theyd consider coming back in 2012 as its the 20th Anniversary and because they could jump on the Olympics being in London and it got shot down but if I was in their marketing and PR department id be massively trying to push the issue.

This was one of the best shows I have ever seen. I think they advertised it as a never again show to bump up the numbers. In those days nae t'internet nor ebay. They could have sold the stadium ten times over then - not so sure now.

• Paid Members

I didn't go, and was absolutely gutted as I was a massive fan at this point. My favourite- Warrior- in the main event plus my next favourite two (Bret & Bulldog) against each other, I wanted to go so badly. Instead we went to Margate on holiday for a weekend :(

Makes it more amazing theyve never properly tried to replicate it over here. I mentioned in a WrestleMania thread not so long ago about whether theyd consider coming back in 2012 as its the 20th Anniversary and because they could jump on the Olympics being in London and it got shot down but if I was in their marketing and PR department id be massively trying to push the issue.

They'd sack you for being a thick cunt, then. WWE aren't going to do a pay-per-view on a five-hour delay or at a stupid time in this day and age, especially one like SummerSlam where they still hope for a decent buyrate. And they'd never get that crowd now for a TV taping or shitty UK-PPV (which likely wouldn't fly now they charge for the proper shows here anyway).

• Paid Members
I swear the kid who shouted "British Bulldog's gonna win! If he wants to or not!" in a terrible american accent is my hero. Wonder what he's doing now.

Its debatable whether that kid is a he. There was a rather large discussion on here before about whether it was a girl or a boy.

• Paid Members

Why did they do it back then? The second biggest event of their PPV calender and a five-hour delay. As much as I'd like it, I don't think they'd ever take that risk in having a PPV over here (especially not a big one), so it amazes me that they did it back then- when they only had 4 PPVs per year.

• Paid Members

Because WWF wasnt having the best of times over in the US and the UK market was having a boom period. Everyone seemed to be a wrestling fan in 1992. It was a fad, which even Simon Cowell got himself on the bandwaggon of. Then it fell of the radar. Then Gladiators came along and we all loved Gladiators instead.

Why did they do it back then? The second biggest event of their PPV calender and a five-hour delay. As much as I'd like it, I don't think they'd ever take that risk in having a PPV over here (especially not a big one), so it amazes me that they did it back then- when they only had 4 PPVs per year.

SummerSlam '92 took place two days before it went on PPV. The reason they could do it then is that modems were a lot slower. It would've cost more on a phonebill to look up the results online than it would to buy the show. And the page wouldn't have loaded by the time the PPV aired.

Archived