18 years ago today....... 29th August 1992

Fat Boy Mendoza

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, there's a good point there. Why was Ric Flair not on the card?

I've wondered that before, and I don't think there's ever been any great reason. The top two matches were babyface vs babyface, so I guess the options were a bit slim on the good guy side for anyone on Flair's level. But surely Piper would've been perfect for it. Him and Flair had been enemies from pretty much the minute Flair appeared in the WWF. He appeared on SummerSlam doing fuck all as well, was he injured at the time or something?

• Paid Members

It might have been the period where Flair took about a month off because he'd injured his eardrum in a match/angle with the Ulimate Warrior and it was affecting his equilibrium. Flair mentioned in his shoot interview that he was all set to collect on his Lloyds policy, but the problem got fixed. Sounds like the timeframe. Cant understand why they wouldnt have him on the card.

• Paid Members

I think the ear injury was later on. I do remember Flair was a little out of favor as he was getting the blame for the massive drop in house show attendance over the summer, despite there being all sorts of contributing factors.

I vaguely recall talk of him wrestling Sgt Slaughter on the show, though I don't remember how reliable that talk was.

• Paid Members

The injury was later - it necessitated him dropping the title to Hart, a title which obviously he hadn't won yet at this point.

I actually think limiting Flair's involvement to the interference in the title match was pretty effective. You can't argue he wasn't involved in one of the event's talking points!

Flair was well enough to defeat randy savage for the wwf world title a few days later back in the states

To blame him for house show attendances dropping ws unfair (to flair:laugh:) it ws only a few months after hogan had hang up his boots once again

• Paid Members

Speaking of Hogan, clearly they managed fine without him (although WWF bringing SummerSlam to the UK at that point, or maybe any point was probably safe) but were there talk of plan for Hogan to be on the card at any point and what the match may have been?

Still get a tingle down the spine watching the Bulldog's entrance. That look of realisation on his face as he's about to bless himself after coming out of the entrance way, looking at the size and noise of the crowd and taking it all in is just magical. To experience something like that; the buzz he must have gotten himself walking out to that i think would be beyond comprehension unless you had experienced something similar yourself and very few have been fortunate enough to do so.

It's moment(s) like that which will live with me forever; every year this thread comes up and every year i think where did the time go? 18 years seems like yesterday.

• Paid Members
Was the drop in House Show attendances, and I guess the end of the first WWF boom to do with the steroid issues and becuase Hulk Hogan left?

Appears to be a combination of Hogan leaving, the steroid and sex scandals, Shango-Warrior on the B shows bombing, everyone shrinking as they got off roids, and Flair-Savage being less enticing with Savage having already won the belt. A perfect shitstorm, to quote Jim Lahey.

I can remember recording the PPV from SKY and being intially disappointed that the WWF had advertised matches but did not show them. It was only the day later when mt dad purchased a paper and there was a full colour spread and even a results page so I knew that all the matches advertised did take place.

I can even remember unwrapping the WWF Summerslam video on Christmas Morning ..... cannot remember though if it was the same year or the following year.

• Paid Members

Im not sure when the version aired that I had on tape, but it had very weird ad breaks in it - for instance it went to ad break when Repo was in the ring awaiting Crush, and stayed at adverts for the whole duration, returning the SummerSlam after the match had finished.

The commentary was also missing in lots of places or had Heenan's lines but not Vince's. In fact when I think of the Intercontinental title match I always remember Vince saying "sunset flip..." but then staying silent (as though shocked) when Davey counters and through the count. Seemed more dramatic than the version that made it to the VHS release.

• Paid Members
The commentary was also missing in lots of places or had Heenan's lines but not Vince's.

Yeah, I dont know what was up with that. Bret bulldog Davey Boy Smith and Sky bloked out his "he just Bulldoged the Bulldog" line.

Special mention has to go to Bobby Heenan. I challenge anyone to find me a better night in his career than on this PPV. He was just bang on form all night. I put this ahead of his Rumble 92 performance. Heenan was excellent at Wembley. Such crackers like calling El Matador "El Doormat" and his opinion of how he thought Nailz was framed by the law are examples of his fine work.

• Moderators
Still get a tingle down the spine watching the Bulldog's entrance. That look of realisation on his face as he's about to bless himself after coming out of the entrance way, looking at the size and noise of the crowd and taking it all in is just magical.

If you believe the stuff in Bret's book, it's probably the crack-haze from the night before.

The commentary was also missing in lots of places or had Heenan's lines but not Vince's.

Yeah, I dont know what was up with that. Bret bulldog Davey Boy Smith and Sky bloked out his "he just Bulldoged the Bulldog" line.

Special mention has to go to Bobby Heenan. I challenge anyone to find me a better night in his career than on this PPV. He was just bang on form all night. I put this ahead of his Rumble 92 performance. Heenan was excellent at Wembley. Such crackers like calling El Matador "El Doormat" and his opinion of how he thought Nailz was framed by the law are examples of his fine work.

It was funny stuff. I must say I think his performence at Survior Series 1991 was good as well.

Archived