18 years ago today....... 29th August 1992

Fat Boy Mendoza

Makes it more amazing theyve never properly tried to replicate it over here. I mentioned in a WrestleMania thread not so long ago about whether theyd consider coming back in 2012 as its the 20th Anniversary and because they could jump on the Olympics being in London and it got shot down but if I was in their marketing and PR department id be massively trying to push the issue.

They'd sack you for being a thick cunt, then. WWE aren't going to do a pay-per-view on a five-hour delay or at a stupid time in this day and age, especially one like SummerSlam where they still hope for a decent buyrate. And they'd never get that crowd now for a TV taping or shitty UK-PPV (which likely wouldn't fly now they charge for the proper shows here anyway).

five hour time delay is easily sorted by starting it at 9pm UK time and having a special earlier start time in the US, its not out of the realms of possiblity and I dont think it would effect the buy rate enough to out weigh the positives of possibly hooking an entire generation of UK fans in the same way SS92 did and filling a 90,000 seat stadium in Wembley. I obviously expect it not to happen, I just find it hard to believe they wouldnt consider it again when there are so many potential positives to come from it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
five hour time delay is easily sorted by starting it at 9pm UK time and having a special earlier start time in the US, its not out of the realms of possiblity and I dont think it would effect the buy rate enough to out weigh the positives of possibly hooking an entire generation of UK fans in the same way SS92 did and filling a 90,000 seat stadium in Wembley. I obviously expect it not to happen, I just find it hard to believe they wouldnt consider it again when there are so many potential positives to come from it.

If they started it earlier over there wouldnt it clash with their football?

Take the possible cash they'd make from doing a show at, as you say, 90,000 seat Wembley... but then minus the cost of flying all their rigging, screens and crap over, and would they make any more than holding the show at a modest arena over there?

If they started it earlier over there wouldnt it clash with their football?

Take the possible cash they'd make from doing a show at, as you say, 90,000 seat Wembley... but then minus the cost of flying all their rigging, screens and crap over, and would they make any more than holding the show at a modest arena over there?

The same rigging and equipment they are constantly flying all over the world for their shows and TV Tapings?

Look at what Summerslam 92 achieved, it was the main reason so many of us on here were so into wrestling at that time and for years to come, without it I dont think they would have been anywhere near as popular and as successful over here during the mid to late 90's and ever since, it was huge for them.

• Paid Members
The same rigging and equipment they are constantly flying all over the world for their shows and TV Tapings?

No, the MASSIVE pile of shite they use for 'Mania, the only time they do a huge stadium for a televised event, which never leaves mainland North America.

Would they really need a huge Wrestlemania style screen and staging for Summerslam in Wembley Stadium? Im pretty sure it could be done without and even with it the stuff they use for Wrestlemanias are usually one off things built for that single event, theres no reason why they could have it built in the UK as they would obviously have staging and equipment months in advance, the rest that would come over would be the usual TV stuff.

Also, I think they could fill Wembley Stadium. Stoke vs Bolton nearly did for christ sakes.

• Paid Members

They'd need a pretty impressive rigging and screen so people in the highest seats could see it, but you are correct they could build it over here and save a bit. But you certainly wouldn't go to the expense of flying your whole entourage out there, wrestlers kit and caboodle, you'd have to make a bit of an effort, surely? They got away with "loads of people in a football stadium" in 1992, but I believe these days they'd still want to tart it up a bit - like the stadia they use for Mania - to live up to the expectations of what we, the viewers are in for when they run a huge stadium, which to this point is only Mania.

As for attendance, might be worth looking at the sizes of venues they currently run for their bi-annual tours and attendances they get. It's feasible that all the people that attend the twice-yearly tour might make a (special, in some cases) trip to Wembley for a PPV but I'd imagine in the case of parents taking their kids, it would only be if they weren't running a tour any time soon. I can almost hear my old man now : "Oh no, you're already expecting to drag me to the NEC twice a year, I'm not taking you down to cowing Wembley too. How much is that meant to cost?" etc.

Overall I still think it represents a gigantic financial risk in todays climate as opposed to playing it safe and staying tried and tested. Bit of a moot point mind, given that they won't do it due to the aforementioned issues with PPV airing time in the States.

five hour time delay is easily sorted by starting it at 9pm UK time

And thus a midnight end time, which means no fucker can get a train home if they live anywhere other than London (and that's assuming that even within London there'll be sufficient special bus/tube services for the event). The scheduling is likely detrimental to ticket sales. Are you even sure you could book Wembley for an event with that timing and get it cleared with the transport companies and local authorities etc?

and having a special earlier start time in the US

And there you've gone and fucked your main pay-per-view market as well. Putting the show on at 4pm is "special" in the same way that kids who go to school on a minibus are "special." There is way too much competition from popular sports on free TV at that time to go charging $50 for wrestling. This Sunday, for example, at 4pm on the main networks you've got: NBA Playoffs (ABC), NASCAR (FOX), PGA Tour Championship (NBC). August would have different events but the principle would be the same. Wrestling pay-per-views are on Sunday nights for a reason.

They COULD do it if they wanted to though, the UFC have done Pay Per Views, UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi did great North American buys (500,000+) and that started even earlier than a UK PPV would.

If someone wanted to watch it live they could but there was a repeat airing at the normal time.

I doubt they could fill Wembley nowadays and would be better off running the o2 or something but they could easily hold one of their B Pay Per Views like Bragging rights that did a shockingly bad number last year (137,000) worldwide

They COULD do it if they wanted to though,

Yes but that's completely irrelevant to anything. They COULD have John Cena sit in the ring on Raw blowing raspberries for two hours if they wanted.

the UFC have done Pay Per Views, UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi did great North American buys (500,000+) and that started even earlier than a UK PPV would.

And WWF might have got away with it during the attitude era when loads of people were eager to buy PPVs with their top stars, like they are now with UFC. With the current state of WWE's popularity, it'd be fucking stupid to put even more obstacles in the way of selling the shows.

I doubt they could fill Wembley nowadays and would be better off running the o2 or something but they could easily hold one of their B Pay Per Views like Bragging rights that did a shockingly bad number last year (137,000) worldwide

I can't even fathom the logic behind that. It did shit last year so they might as well do something to make it lower this year? If Cameron and Clegg had an entertainment wing that bought a ten per cent stake in WWE like the Arabs did in Zuffa, there'd at least be some motivation for doing it. What on earth do you even think would be gained by doing Bragging Rights at the O2?

They have also done decent buy rates with shit main events in The UK & Germany, such as Matt Hughes Vs Thiago Alves and Rich Franklin Vs Wanderlei Silva, which is basically having Christian main event a PPV.

Bragging Rights did 77,000 less buys than Hell in a Cell and more than that with Survivor Series, those two were on Sky Box office and Bragging Rights was "free" on Sky Sports maybe that had a part to play on the much lower buyrate.

You also forget to mention that ESPN and other sports sites covered the UFC results and I guarantee they would'nt mention the WWE because it's not a sport.

Heres a question and seems quite a burning one on the Summerslam issue. Would having a big PPV ie Summerslam on at prime time across Europe, ie 8pm create a massive spike in buy rates in England, Germany, France, Italy etc. Even if it isn't is it worth them trying it once to see how effective it is? Im also not sure whether these European countries pay for PPVs yet, I presume they do.

Heres a question and seems quite a burning one on the Summerslam issue. Would having a big PPV ie Summerslam on at prime time across Europe, ie 8pm create a massive spike in buy rates in England, Germany, France, Italy etc. Even if it isn't is it worth them trying it once to see how effective it is? Im also not sure whether these European countries pay for PPVs yet, I presume they do.

I don't think they do, I don't even think they show WWE live in some of those countries maybe Italy but I think I remember hearing that France is on a week delay.

Why did they do it back then? The second biggest event of their PPV calender and a five-hour delay. As much as I'd like it, I don't think they'd ever take that risk in having a PPV over here (especially not a big one), so it amazes me that they did it back then- when they only had 4 PPVs per year.

SummerSlam '92 took place two days before it went on PPV. The reason they could do it then is that modems were a lot slower. It would've cost more on a phonebill to look up the results online than it would to buy the show. And the page wouldn't have loaded by the time the PPV aired.

Most people didn't even have pc's back then, nevermind the Internet. I don't even remember the term Internet or web existing back in 1992. It must have been the mid 90s by the time dial up modems were available and even then it would cost over 100 quid for a 16kb dial up.

Archived