Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Juventud Guerrera

ECW Extreme Bash 9th March, 1996

Experiencing ECW

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Juventud Guerrera

WCW Pro Wrestling 3rd November, 1996

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Chavo Guerreo Jr.

WCW Saturday Night 11th January, 1997

Eddie

Seems decent, but I'm not to sure I like the jump from 98 to 2002, I'm sure he was involved in some quality matches in 99 and 2000/01 even it he was with the Filthy Animals?

Edit. Oh wait I see, are they just ignorning that he unmasked?

Seems decent, but I'm not to sure I like the jump from 98 to 2002, I'm sure he was involved in some quality matches in 99 and 2000/01 even it he was with the Filthy Animals?

they did on the last one

memory fails me but is there anything decent from WCW when he had the mask off?

The first disc of that Mysterio set looks good. The other two look pretty unappealing for me though, it's mostly all WWE PPV stuff that I already have. I guess there are 2 or 3 old Smackdown matches that I probably don't have in decent quality, but it does seem abit lazy of them to keep trying to re-sell the same matches again and again.

they did on the last one

And the one before that. Considering this is Mysterio's third DVD I think that shows what a big merch shifter he is for them because there aren't many who have gotten that treatment, whilst guys like Jericho only have the one.

memory fails me but is there anything decent from WCW when he had the mask off?

Mostly tag stuff. IIRC the one where he actually lost the mask vs The Outsiders was decent. Him and Kidman were a good team. They did some good stuff in that three way feud with the Horsemen and Raven & Saturn in early 1999 and then again in late 2000-early 2001 in the final days of WCW where he was one of the better guys again.

Most of the rest of the time then like simonworden's says he was out indeed injured, working with guys who made him look like a midget, phoning it in or just not doing much to the extent that in the New Blood era he became really became 'just another midcarder' whereas in 1996-97 he was one of the most interesting acts in either of the Big Two and really positioned as the Top Face of his Division and actually seemed like 'The Man' in that group for a while (similar to what WCW and WWF both did with various tag teams over the years and WWF did with Trish Stratus a few years back).

It's funny because it is one of those things that was a fairly big deal at the time but is never mentioned now, but I remember reading sites where people were calling Mysterio "washed up"/"past it" in late '99-2000. Those final months of WCW were a real return to form for him.

Mysterio Vs Kidman - Spring Stampede 1999 is pretty good but apart from that he was either injured, wrestling big men or with the filthy animals and it was all not as good as his 96-98 stuff anyway. Plus he looks like a child mask off

True he does. Mysterio/Kidman was an interesting one because that's the match where Rey suffered a concussion. IIRC a lot of people were disappointed because it meant the couldn't do the fast-paced match they would have done but I thought it actually made for an interesting story and they still got their big moves in just at a more methodical pace.

• Paid Members
Mysterio Vs Kidman - Spring Stampede 1999 is pretty good but apart from that he was either injured, wrestling big men or with the filthy animals and it was all not as good as his 96-98 stuff anyway. Plus he looks like a child mask off

The match they had on Nitro a few weeks before was an absolute belter! Probably one of Mysterio's best matches ever. The Spring Stampede match is good, but nowhere near on that level.

True he does. Mysterio/Kidman was an interesting one because that's the match where Rey suffered a concussion. IIRC a lot of people were disappointed because it meant the couldn't do the fast-paced match they would have done but I thought it actually made for an interesting story and they still got their big moves in just at a more methodical pace.

The match in which Rey won the title on Nitro (the night after Uncensored I think) was pretty good, but for some reason i had a distorted memory that it was a real epic. I rewatched it last month before i threw a load of VHS cassettes out though, and it really wasn't as great as i had thought. It was a lot shorter, more of a sprint and couldn't have went any longer than 6 or 7 minutes. Everyone will probably remember it, he won with some overelaborate avalanche bodyscissors into a bulldog. I agree that the slower paced PPV match was more compelling.

Very little of Reys best stuff occurred during his unmasked period. The giantkilling angle with Bam Bam, Nash, Norton etc wasn't great, the No Limit Soldiers/Rednecks stuff was diabolical, and there wasn't a whole lot of memorable stuff from his Dirty Animals phase. He was injured for long spells of that anyway so he just hung around and humped the ropes.

After the 3 way tag feud that ended at Slamboree, some of the rare decent stuff i remembered included:

- a couple of nice Nitro matches with Dean Malenko around Sep 1999

- another Blitzkrieg match on Thunder

- a nice match with Lenny Lane of all people for the Cruiserweight title, would've been around the same time as the above match.

- a nice match headlining Thunder vs Kanyon, around May 1999

- a nice match vs saturn on Thunder also from around the same period

- a couple of decent tags with Eddy just after Eddie returned from injury, including vs Psicosis/Juventud and Regal/Taylor.

- a fun match w/ Juventud vs Lance storm & Kidman where they were dressed up as their opponents.

- 2 or 3 tags vs 3 Count

- the tag match at the last PPV

- the gauntlet match for a shot at the Cruiserweight belt at Superbrawl 2001

- The Title match at said event (although that was mostly due to Chavo)

- the usual Rey/Juve matches that came along every few months which they could sleepwalk through and it would still be good. I especially remember one with Juventud in cow print trousers

- Some good trios/atomicos matches in Arena Mexico for CMLL in late 2001

I would add as a disclaimer that all of the above list may well be shite as i haven't watched them since the time and i'm just remembering that i thought they were pretty cool at the time. :)

One thing that pissed me off about unmasked Rey, and i know this is a bit trivial, was the blandness and lack of any kind of thought or creativity they put into his attires. With the mask and tights, he always looked colourful and eyecatching, but after Superbrawl 99, he pretty much always looked like shit. It was all dull khakis, camouflage, boilers suits etc - he should've kept the bright old designs even if he did need them baggier for the knee braces.

• Paid Members

The Rey/Kidman Nitro match is fairly exciting in the "short TV match" vein, and people remember the finish because while rather contrived, it looked great and made you sit up and go "the FUCK?" The only thing that's really disappointing is how bloody pleased Kidman looks when he raises Rey's hand and hugs him. Get a clue Billy Boy, that belt's supposed to mean something. Be sporting, I know you're mates and all, but you're going to feel that in the pocket in kayfabe. Don't smile like you've just got off the Sunshine bus to be presented with some brand new stabilizers for your bike and three packs of Pro Sets.

• 3 weeks later...

JR has been talking on twitter about a huge DVD project coming up that he will be involved in

he hasnt been giving much away about what it is but today he tweeted this

Spent 5 hrs 2day interviewing HBK & the Hitman 4 Oct DVD. No holds barred talk. Special day 4 me.

already want it

Archived