The 2010 UKFF UK50(+) - Results

Big Benny HG

I can't remember Highlander being shit this year. Infact, he's been involved in a cracker of a fued with Noam Dar and Rob Cage in ICW, has had apparently a cracker with Mossy, has had two really good matches with Noam Dar ( didn't see the ICW match ) and is generally not that bad.

I agree with the comments that he can be over reliant on the hardcore stuff, but if you're good at something ( and to be fair, he is ) then why not just stick with it ? Plus the Noam stuff wasn't hardcore and the match at DG:Spain in particular was pretty handy.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where Haraga is coming from, I haven't seen a lot of his stuff north of the border but he has had straight up matches for me south of the border and they are two of the best non-hardcore matches I have seen him have in years. Maybe I'm biased as Colin and I go back a few years and I have always had time for the bloke but I always speak as I find and from what I have seen he hasn't had a bad year at all and the inclusion feels more like what people have thought over the years rather than the last 12 months

• Paid Members
the worst thing with sean is the squeeling like a stuck pig he does during his matches. the 12 ' fans' at stainforths show didnt understand as peter cantaford didnt have him announced as being deaf! his manager is just awful too!

Why would they? Is being deaf his gimmick? I remember seeing Alan Kilby a few years back, I had no idea he was deaf until someone told me after, he just went out and wrestled his match.

I think that's perhaps the case.

The highlander is an intresting one for me alothgh perhaps he is not one of the best workers ever (he is capable of having a good match though). what the entry fails to mention thus giving an unfair and balanced perspective of the guy is that he has had a hand in training a lot of scotlands top talent which includes amoung other's Drew Mcintyre, for that he has be given his due.

peter cantaford

Is anyone on UKFF ever going to come up with a play on Staniforth's name that isn't completely awful?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in what way is this a pun? What is it supposed to mean?

he owes quite a few people i know and including myself a fair bit of money.

and the comment about sean, he cant talk and squeels, i understand but fans do not and just laugh.

• Paid Members
~~SHIT LIST No. 5(equal) - "Highlander" Colin McKay~~

"Possible nonce. Fumbles McStupid. 'Nuff said"

I hope that unlike Surf Graffiti's Mum, Colin Mackay has a sense of humour otherwise you might be getting another visit from the Police! :laugh:

the worst thing with sean is the squeeling like a stuck pig he does during his matches. the 12 ' fans' at stainforths show didnt understand as peter cantaford didnt have him announced as being deaf! his manager is just awful too!

Why would they? Is being deaf his gimmick? I remember seeing Alan Kilby a few years back, I had no idea he was deaf until someone told me after, he just went out and wrestled his match.

Telling the fans he is deaf, whether it's his gimmick or not would cover the fact that he's an awful wrestler and wouldn't make fans look at each other in bemusement when he starts squeeling.

Alan Kilby didn't squeel and screech in the ring and was a decent wrestler, so the fans didn't need to be told.

The point people are trying to make is he's just a shit wrestler. I can't personally comment as I have never seen him wrestle but I imagine what most people are getting at is that his appearance, moveset, ring work, whatever just aren't up to scratch. Being deaf in itself doesn't knock a few snowflakes off a match rating.

You don't need to deliver an amazing 20 minute long promo to get over. Remember those blokes who used to do the talking for their client, you know, managers?!

The comment about Highlander being a "fucking idiot" for crashing through tables made me burst out laughing. Harsh but terrific.

The highlander is an intresting one for me alothgh perhaps he is not one of the best workers ever (he is capable of having a good match though). what the entry fails to mention thus giving an unfair and balanced perspective of the guy is that he has had a hand in training a lot of scotlands top talent which includes amoung other's Drew Mcintyre, for that he has be given his due.

The list compiles guys who are apparently shit wrestlers. Whether the guys he's trained are shit or not is completely irrelevant.

I think anyone who's genuinely listing Colin McKay as one of the worst in the UK must have been very fortunate in the choices of shows they've attended because there are far, far, far worse...

Believe it or not, I think he's actually improved a bit. I thought he had a few stinkers for a while and could easily have seen him on this list not so long ago. I think I've seen him in one poor match in the last couple of years though and he's been seen a LOT in that time.

Actually, while I'm here, I should point out something about his "position" and how much it has to do with politics. The last meaningful thing he did in BCW was get smashed with a chair by Kid Fite. He occaisionally shows up now and again but other than that, you have his midcard fued with Absolution in ICW and his ... well ... I'm not sure WHAT his role is in BCW. You can hardly even call it authority figure anymore.

• Paid Members

50 Joseph Conners

49 Wolfgang

48 Red Lightning

47 Mohmed Ameen

46 Robbie X

45 Lion Kid

44 JD Knight

43 Noam Dar

42 Damien O'Connor

41 Danny Garnell

40 Keith Myatt

39 Danny Hope

38 Nathan Cruz

37 Val Kabious

36 Robbie Dynamite

35 Sam Bailey

34 Scott Renwick

33 Mikey Whiplash

32 Derice Coffie

31 T-Bone

30 Sha Samuels

29 BT Gunn

28 Kid Fite

27 Paul Malen

26 James Mason

25 Mad Man Manson

24 RJ Singh

23 Terry Frazier

22 Alex Shane

21 Leroy Kincaide

20 Cameron Kraze

19 Liam Thomson

18 Joel Redman

17 CJ Banks

16 Darkside

15 Marty Scurll

14 Bubblegum

13 Jonny Storm

12 Stixx

11 Lionheart

No. 10 - Joey Hayes

Score: 368 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 3

2009 ranking: 9th

2008 ranking: 5th

2007 ranking: 39th

2006 ranking: not listed

2005 ranking: 47th

joeyy.jpg

Photo - Tony Knox

Who is he?

North-west England's Joey Hayes is now known as a regular performer all across England and Scotland, with appearances on mainland Europe to boot. Apparently taking his ring name from an old wrestling game on the ZX Spectrum computer, Hayes is equally known as a singles wrestler or a tag team performer. Indeed, this year, Hayes has been one half of The Models with Danny Hope (FSW, BCW, 1PW), The Young Offenders with Damon Leigh (GPW) and the new tag team Northern Xposure with fellow GPW wrestler CJ Banks (FWA), as well as receiving a singles push in GPW, appeared for XWA, PBW and PW101 and, after the end of the 2010 eligibility period, featured on the Dragon Gate UK return show. Retaining the Top 10 ranking he's held for 3 years now, Joey slips a single place this time.....

In the Wigan-based GPW, which is Joey's home promotion, Hayes and "Dangerous" Damon Leigh reigned as Tag Team Champions since defeating MilAnfield Connection (Danny Hope and Jiggy Walker) early in 2009. By the summer, the popular "Young Offenders" were 5 months into a feud for their Tag Trophy with heel challengers Paradise Lost (Heresy and Kastor LeVay). At "Heatwave" in July, the two warring duos settled their differences in one final tag title bout, where the losing team would be forced to split up forever. A supremely entertaining bout ended with a weapon shot costing Hayes and Leigh their championship, but also signalling the end of the Young Offenders tag team..... Hayes and Leigh instead set their eyes on singles gold, with Damon vowing to win the Heavyweight Title. Hayes restarted his own singles career by returning for the "Crazy Cruiser 8" tournament in November. Hayes used his Teenage Kick (Yakuza kick) to defeat rookie babyface star Ricky J McKenzie in a good opener, setting up another all-babyface encounter in the semi-final with Bubblegum. One of 2009's best British matches, the two put on a blistering bout for the right to face CJ Banks in the final. Again, it was the Teenage Kick which wrapped things up when Hayes won the cracker. The final was another superb contest, as Hayes went toe-to-toe with reigning GPW British Champion and the previous year's "Crazy Cruiser 8" winner Banks. Following plenty of heart-stopping near falls and breath-taking false finishes, the third Teenage Kick finish of the night saw Hayes score a pinfall over the champion and take the 2009 tournament.....

By virtue of his pinfall win over Banks, Hayes was established as the top contender for the British Title. Hayes and Martin Kirby beat Banks and Fox Carter in the tag bout on February's "Back With A Bang 2010!" card, Hayes picking up another pin on the reigning champ with his "Hang Time" high cross body block from the top. As a result, the main event of the March show was Hayes vs. Banks for the British Title. When they fought to a draw (a double pin off a superplex), the pair were rematched in a final, decisive 2 out of 3 falls bout to headline April's "Jam Hot!" event. Hayes went 1-0 up with the Hang Time, but Banks equalised with his frog splash. With the referee distracted trying to separate the brawling Kirby and Carter at ringside, Banks smacked Hayes with the CC8 trophy, setting up another frog splash for the win..... His British Title hopes dashed, Hayes was an entrant in May's 30-man rumble for a shot at the Heavyweight Title (GPW recognises 2 separate singles champions, of equal standing), but was eliminated in early fashion....

The adventures of Hayes and Danny Hope as the Models (including tag title reigns in Scotland's BCW and Manchester's FutureShock Wrestling) were covered in Hope's UKFF UK50 entry at #39.....

In XWA, Joey battled treacherous former partner Declan O'Connor at "Vendetta" in July 2009 when the pair fought in a Manchester Rules Streetfight for Hayes' Best in the North-West Trophy. Joey showed remorse and forgiveness for his former best pal, but it cost him when O'Connor took advantage to use a kendo stick to help him gain victory. The next show was "Last Fight at the Prom" in September, where Hayes bested Marty Scurll in a contender's tournament match, only to be attacked and beaten down by O'Connor immediately afterwards. That was seemingly the end of the feud with Declan. Heel Hayes faced IPW:UK star Terry Frazier in a really good singles match for Pro Wrestling 101 in November, before blue-eye Joey returned to XWA in April 2010 to defeat GPW nemesis CJ Banks at "War on the Shore VI". Finally, Hayes fell in defeat to XWA debutant "Showstealer" Nathan Cruz at "Vendetta 2010"....

What did the UKFF think?

"He had some cracking matches in the CC8 tourney; his matches with Ricky J and Bubblegum were superb but his matches with "The Juice" were epic"

"Great worker, good look and I am pleased he is working the Dragon Gate shows in September"

"I've seen him have a great match against Zack Sabre Jnr in Nottingham, a good match against Terry Frazier from 101's afternoon show, and the amount of different gimmicks and characters he tries out definitely is something to be admired as each of them are different from the other. His tag team with the Juice and their feud against The LDRs have been the backbone and strength of the new FWA in my eyes. More than deserves his place on the Dragon Gate UK show this year"

"Brilliant look to him, and an excellent heel charisma. Great in and out of the ring"

"Tremendous. Seems able to do anything in the ring and everything has a logic too it in the way that he works. Always has good matches with different styles of workers as well"

"Fine performances where I've seen him. Seems to have upped his game whilst in the FWA"

"Love Hayes work. Great gear, great image"

"The best wrestler in the UK, but does not get used in main events anywhere but GPW"

"Starting to shine and the doors in Japan will start to open soon after he debuts in Dragon Gate. Without a doubt the best seller since Jody Fleisch"

"Super talented. One of best all-rounders in the UK"

"A great heel, and a brilliant blue-eye. My favourite wrestler on the British wrestling scene today"

"Looks the part and can wrestle against anyone and have a good match"

"Skilled worker with high potential"

"Best of the best. No doubt in my mind - he deserves to be number 1"

"This guy must have about 600 gimmicks! Take nothing away from Hayes, he

• Paid Members

No. 9 - Martin Kirby

Score: 380 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 3

2009 ranking: 10th

2008 ranking: 15th

2007 ranking: not listed

2006 ranking: not listed

2005 ranking: not listed

kirbyw.jpg

Who is he?

North Yorkshire's Martin Kirby swaps places with Joey Hayes in this year's UKFF UK50 rankings compared to last year, as he achieves his highest ever placing. Appearing for virtually every wrestling promotion across the north of England, some in the south and also up in Scotland, Kirby is one of the busiest and most versatile wrestlers in the UK, as he plays anything from fired-up hometown babyface to cowardly and outrageous comedy heel. His "home" 3CW, 1PW, PW101, FWA, GPW, NBW/GNP, RDW, DPW, SSW, PBW, All Star Wrestling, IWF, NEWS, CRW, BHW, TTP and even PTW are just some of the promotions he has featured for within this year's eligibility period, either on his own or part of the well-established Project Ego unit with Kris Travis. What Kirby's 9th place ranking does mean, however, is that partner Travis will feaure somewhere ahead of him in this year's UKFF UK50 rankings.....

As one half of the reigning 1PW Tag Team Champions, Kirby assisted partner Travis in his feud with former WWE star Kevin Thorne. As such, Project Ego tore the house down in a hardcore match against Thorne and Dragon Aisu at 1PW's July 2009 event in Sheffield. The fan favourite champs ran into Scotland's Fight Club (Kid Fite and Liam Thomson) at November's "4th Anniversary Show", though, where their long title reign came to an end in a decent opening bout..... Following a loss to The Models (Joey Hayes and Danny Hope) at 1PW's "Will Not Cancel!" event in February, Kirby and Travis appeared separately on 1PW's last ever show in May, as Travis wrapped up his Thorne feud and Kirby won a 6-way scramble on the undercard.....

Steven Gauntley's short-lived Pro Wrestling 101 venture appeared to want to push Kirby as its top home star. The first two shows established Kirby and Martin Stone as the top singles wrestler, but also had an added twist by having Travis turn heel on Kirby, setting up the two as feuding rivals. At PW101's afternoon show ahead of the previously mentioned 1PW "4th Anniversary" in Doncaster, Kirby headlined in one of the biggest bouts of his career against former NWA, ECW, AWA, MLW and 1PW World Champion "King of Old School" Steve Corino. A solid outing, Kirby was put over huge when he took the winning pinfall over the veteran international name. The feud with Kris Travis then took centre stage as the two stole the show with their grudge match in Sheffield on PW101's next (and last) event the following May.....

Kirby also plays good guy in GPW, where he has been adopted and pushed as "Hindley's Own Martin Kirby". After winning June's 10-man rumble and taking GPW Heavyweight Champion Juggernaut to the limit in his immediate title shot, Kirby was established as a legitimate headliner and was granted another shot at the title in the main event of July 2009's "Heatwave". Again going toe-to-toe with the monsterous Juggernaut, he fell just short after a nasty lariat put him away..... When GPW returned after it's annual summer break, Kirby went after his unpaid supposed

Glad to see Kirby so high, I think he has probably suffered the most of all the wrestlers involved from the decline of PW101 as Gauntley really wanted to push him. While a good wrestler in the smaller comedy matches, he has so much talent that it is a shame to see him wasted on these.