Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 2

2009 ranking: 12th

2008 ranking: 8th

2007 ranking: 10th

2006 ranking: 3rd

2005 ranking: 2nd

jonny.jpg

Who is he?

I shouldn't have to explain to anyone who Jonny Storm is. Modern-day veteran of the UK scene, "The Wonderkid" continues to be one of the most consistent, popular, recognised and requested wrestlers all over the country. Promotions the length of the land bring Jonny in for showpiece matches in full knowledge that they will be getting one of the most professional and naturally charismatic performers to put on a match that fans will easily get into and enjoy. In 2010, Harlow's Jonny retains virtually the same UKFF UK50 ranking as he had last year (well, a one-place slip), presumably resulting directly from him continuing the same schedule and style as last year.....

Appearing for Kent-based IPW:UK, Storm teamed with Paul Tracey in a losing effort against Tag Champs Marty Scurll and Zack Sabre Jr (who appear as cocky heels in that town) in Chatham in September 2009. Just days later, Jonny was back for the promotion's "5th Anniversary Show" in Sittingbourne, at which he defeated high-flying British Eagle (now Lion Lid) in a good match. In doing so, "Wonderkid" earned a shot at Mark Haskins' British Cruiserweight Title. The championship match was due to take place at "Make or Break 2009" in Swanley the following month, but the stipulations of the show meant that he had to first defend his shot against Terry Frazier before getting a crack at Haskins and the gold later that same night. Jonny pinned Terry first, but was later on defeated by the "Star Attraction" and left empty handed.....

Back in Chatham in November, Storm continued his mini-series against the LDRS in a one-on-one bout against Scurll. In a match filled with much in the way of antics, Jonny, as has become tradition in the venue, finished Marty off with a SEEEXXX PIIIIIIIN. Again, there was a Sittingbourne show just days after the Chatham event, and Jonny was in his highest profile bout in the promotion in some time, being the sole Brit in a 3-way against imported touring US indy wrestlers Jimmy Jacobs and Sabian. Storm actually rolled up and eliminated Jacobs within 10 seconds of the opening bell, leaving him and Sabian to have a decent encounter on the way to Jonny's victory a few minutes later..... To close the year in IPW:UK, Storm continued his winning ways against Thrillers member Joel Redman at "Christmas Cracker" in Swanley.....

In February, "Wonderkid" teamed with Lion Kid in two tag matches against Cheech and Cloudy from the US indies, before returning to Swanley in April for "Total Wipeout", where he mained evented against returning "Man That Gravity Forgot" Pac. In an angle which never actually ended up going anywhere, former Big Brother contestant and IPW:UK personality Billi Bhati got himself involved and actually cost Jonny the win. Jonny vowed to catch Billi and kick his arse.....

Up north in XWA, where Jonny had been presented as the top babyface star for a number of years, Storm only made one appearance in the entire year. At "Vendetta" in July 2009, Storm and felow lead babyface Sam Slam ran to the ring to save new fan favourite Johnny Phere from a beating at the hands of Deadly Serious ("Deadly" Damon Leigh and "Serious" CJ Banks), setting up the tag team main event later that night. There, Sam went running after his nemesis "Rockstar" Spud (who had come down and stolen Sam's XWA British Heavyweight Title belt from ringside), leaving Jonny alone against Leigh and Banks. Phere once agan made an appearance, causing the distraction which allowed Storm to pin DDL for the popular win.... Jonny was supposed to return for a championship contenders' rankings match against his regular SLAM Wrestling rival Stixx at "Goldrush" in January, but a family bereavement prevented him from appearing. Jonny did, however, fight Stixx at 1PW's "4th Anniversary Show" in Doncaster in November..... The month before that, Storm was one of those selected to be part of "Team UK" for Japanese promotion Dragon Gate's "European Invasion". In Oxford, Storm teamed with Chatham foe Marty Scurll to face long-time DG regulars Ryo Saito and Genki Horiguchi in a fabulously entertaining tag bout.....

What did the UKFF think?

"Veteran keeps on producing great matches"

"It's amazing to think Storm has been around so long, he seems to never disappoint. A brilliant, unique worker, whose offence will leave you scratching your head asking 'how did he do that?'"

"Still one of the best this country has ever produced"

"Not what he once was, but if it wasn't for him a lot of the guys who are better than he is now probably wouldn't even be doing what they do. The internet style crowds still love him, but he is at home on family shows and the holiday camps. Even in front of holiday makers still puts on great matches and doesn't hold back like you'd expect him to"

"I personally love Storm, the guy never fails to put on a good show, his name on a card, much like Stixx, is a sure sign of at least one good match. The guy is so over on local shows it's untrue, and always seems to make everything mean the most it can"

"The best babyface in the country"

"He can be in the opener or the main event"

"Excellent veteran"

"Still putting on a show"

"Exciting to watch, gets unfair stick"

"Has toned down the flips and replaced them with solid ground and crowd working"

"Never has a bad match and never get tired of seeing him even though he is the wrestler I probably see most. Great with the crowds at local SLAM shows, seems to enjoy what he does and puts in consistently great performances and effort"

"A long time favourite of mine and will always have a space on my top list A consistently good performer and someone who I wish had more luck outside the UK with TNA and ROH back in the day"

"Has pleasantly surprised me alot in the past 12 months. Despite his talent I have never really cared much for him in the past but in his last few outings I have been very pleased to witness a seemingly hungrier and motivated Jonny Storm than before"

"UK veteran who sill delivers week in and week out. Amazing wrestler, just maybe needs to update his character"

"Always dependable, always reliable, never get tired of seeing Johnny. Don't think I've ever seen this guy anywhere near a bad match. His agility is a thing of beauty. Should always have a spot in this"

"Whilst no longer the young trendsetter in this country, he still churns out dependable performances to a high standard. May suffer on this list from a lack of exposure in promotions with a strong Internet presence, but is still out there working a busy schedule and hasn't lost a step"

"All-round crowd pleaser. Great psychology and an unquestionable ability to get the crowd on his side"

"Still going strong"

"Popular veteran has good matches wherever he goes. Matches with Stixx for SLAM are must-see wrestling"

"Really showed sparks this year of why he should still be consider one of the very best in the UK and beyond. After watching his match at the first DragonGate: UK show, I don't think anybody can deny he is one if not the best in the country"

"Seems to always get the loudest reaction of the night on the cards I get a chance too see, and all ways brings one of the top performances out of the show and from his opponent, has the likeability factor as a babyface"

"In great shape to be doing the same high flying moves. Top quality pro"

"Nobody leaves a Jonny Storm match unhappy. Enough said"

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

No. 12 - Stixx

Score: 295 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 4

2009 ranking: 22nd

2008 ranking: 14th

2007 ranking: 30th

2006 ranking: 26th

2005 ranking: 50th

stixx.jpg

Who is he?

Nottingham powerhouse known as the "Heavyweight House of Pain", Stixx continues to be at the forefront of British wrestling, appearing for promotions such as All Star Wrestling, XWA, FWA, IPW:UK, FutureShock, 1PW, SSW, BWA and BHW, and being the driving force behind SLAM Wrestling and the House of Pain academy, which has brought stars such as Paul Malen, Dave Breaks, Adrenaline, Joseph Conners, Robbie Sincaide, Shane Spyral and Flyin' Ryan through its doors. In 2010, Stixx achieves his highest ever UKFF UK50 ranking, after featuring in every single version of the list to date, after a year when his performances have been at their peak.....

Stixx's tag team adventures alongside Paul Malen in both IPW:UK and FWA were extensively covered in Malen's own UKFF UK50 entry at #27, so won't be repeated here.....

On his own, babyface Stixx was on a tear through the XWA roster, notching up an impressive win streak as he moved himself closer and closer to the stage he could be considered a legitimate British Heavyweight Title contender. Stixx despatched Marty Scurll at "Vendetta 2009" and Declan O'Conner at "Last Fight at the Prom 2010" with ease (the latter in a mere 6 seconds), before being tested in his victory over trainee Baz Attitude on an XWA show held in Suffolk to end 2009. The streak continued when the pair were rematched back in the promotion's home of Morecambe for "Goldrush 2010" in January, officially earning the "Sherriff of Nottingham" an XWA British Heavyweight Title shot at some point in the year. Stixx then came into conflict with "Team Rockstar", the heel group champion Spud had assembled around himself to help protect his title. He was scheduled to face Team Rockstar's huge enforcer Cyanide at "War on the Shore VI" in April, but in Cyanide's absence the wins continued to come as Stixx beat HoP wrestler Bam Bam Barton instead. Post match, Stixx got his hands on Team Rockstar's obnoxious mouthpiece Stallion, before Blond Jovi made the save and laid him out. Spud himself then appeared and viciously attacked Stixx with his own steel chain, choking him out and then appearing to injure Stixx's neck. Stixx made a surprise reappearance later that same night, however, during Spud's British Title defence against "Psychotic Warrior" Johnny Phere. Coming for vengeance, Stixx took out Barton and chased Stallion away from ringside, leaving unprotected Spud at the mercy of Phere for a roof-raising title switch..... Just after the end of the 2010 UKFF UK50 period, Stixx finally did manage to get his hands on now-former champion Spud at "Vendetta 2010". After fighting past all of Team Rockstar, Stixx got his long-awaited scalp by pinning Spud after a Stixx Bomb.....

Elsewhere, Stixx joined promotional founder Alex Shane in turning heel on the FutureShock Wrestling roster at the organisation's 5th anniversary event in August 2009 in Stockport. Stixx, Shane and Dave Breaks beat up and choked out FSW leader Dave Rayne, established "The Hierarchy" and declared war on the promotion. As part of that agenda, Stixx was entered into the 4th annual FutureShock Trophy Tournament, which takes place across successive FSW shows at the end of the year. In Swinton for "FutureShock 38" in September, Stixx smashed his way into the semi-finals by squashing energetic Jermaine Eventer. He followed up by beating "No. 1 Do-Gooder" Sparx in Macclesfield at FS39. As such, the "Heavyweight House of Pain" found himself in the final, held back in Stockport at one of FSW's biggest shows of the year, against rising babyface sensation Raynaldo. Main eventing the show, the FS Trophy Final was held just minutes after evil Alex Shane had defeated huge crowd favourite Sam Bailey to steal the FSW Championship, resulting in a rabid pro-Raynaldo crowd and the entire FSW roster coming out to cheer on their boy against Stixx. The dramatic bout saw Raynaldo reach the staus of headline babyface by toppling Stixx and taking the Trophy, capping off a monumental event..... Stixx-led teams of HoP wresters went down to a Raynaldo-led FSW sides at FS41 and FS42, before Stixx and LJ Heron unsuccessfully challenged Vitamin C (Carl Clinch and Xander Cooper) for the FSW Tag Team Titles at FS44 in May 2010.....

As well as facing Jonny Storm and Lionheart in fine matches for 1PW, it was also the big man Stixx who warmed up the excited fans ahead of the Dragon Gate UK Invasion 2009 show in Oxford last year, as he was the man who had the honour of facing the Lion Kid in the evening's "dark" match, a debut for the LK character......

What did the UKFF think?

"Powerhouse. Strong performer"

"Solid big man who can work any style. His matches in SLAM against Jonny Storm have been works of art. His whole Dog Collar and Chain thing looks a bit gay though"

"The best big man in British wrestling. Always puts in 100%"

"He is, as far as I'm concerned, one of the best at what he does. It's always a treat to see him on shows and entertains in singles and in a team. He's had so many matches that have been such fun to watch and is such an entertaining character"

"Just a really good all round worker, agile for a big man but does the big man role great as well"

"Workhorse, looks like he could snap you in half, the moral leader of the XWA locker room to the nasty bastard in FWA shows the versatility"

"Needs to do something new, but is consistent and has a great look"

"One of the best big men wrestlers in the country, should get more work overseas"

"A truly bad ass threatening heel"

"One of the best big men in the country. Loved his heel work in FWA, he has looked like a monster since the relaunch. But can also swap to face so effectively"

"Great performer, with skill"

"Never has a bad match. Brilliant in singles and tag matches and works well with every type of wrestler. Had the pleasure to see him in a couple of crackers vs Jonny Storm at SLAM and 1PW and numerous tag matches in the FWA"

"A consistently good worker who I have not seen a bad match from. His matches aren't great but are always decent and he plays the heel well"

"Real good for a man of his size, not just your typical powerhouse. Hard hitting and good selling when receiving offence from smaller wrestlers. Usually has outstanding matches with lighter weight wrestlers"

"Awesome old-school heel"

"Never seen him work as a face, but his heel stuff is mental. Seeing him as a deadly killer in FWA, and then performing some comedy stuff against Vitamin C in FutureShock has made me love the guy even more"

"Great powerhouse wrestler. I feel he's finally got out of the shadow of Martin Stone now. Hopefully some more singles matches up north will let me see him in person more"

"versatile heavyweight who I have never seen have a bad match. Tag team with Malen continue to dominate and impress, and his singles run for 1PW produced some stellar matches; notably vs Jonny Storm and also vs Lionheart in Warsop"

"Underated"

"Great for such a big guy"

"Has to be, hands down, the most underrated guy in the UK. I can't think of many people I'd trust more to drop into a ring with a random opponent and expect them to put a solid match on. There might be some stigma attached to being a "good hand" in the ring, but I struggle to remember many opponents Stixx couldn't at least get something watchable out of - I was even live once for him taking MTX to the best match of an afternoon card, for fuck sake. And he'll have great matches when he has good opponents too, as a really hateable dickhead heel or as a kid friendly giant hero"

Great to see Stixx getting a strong showing. Shame he didn't crack the top ten, but there is some very fierce competition. I didn't vote in this (as I've not seen enough different shows to fairly judge), but if I had, this guy would be right near the top. He's looked the part and been wrestling like a main event guy for years, but at the recent Dragon gate show it really stood out how great he's become at working the crowd verbally. The banter between him and the fans and just his general performance was really good. It was a fantastic opening match and he really deserved to be there.

Seems a fair time to pimp my short Documentary (again, sorry :p ), but if you're not too familiar with Stixx (I know some on this board don't go to UK shows), click the link under my Sig and hear from the man himself.

• Paid Members

No. 11 - Lionheart

Score: 322 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 4

2009 ranking: 15th

2008 ranking: 17th

2007 ranking: 21st

2006 ranking: not listed

2005 ranking: not listed

lionheart.jpg

Who is he?

Lionheart is undeniably the top star in Scottish wrestling at this current time, appearing at main event level over the eligibility period for PBW, SWA, BCW, ICW, SSW and virtually every other promotion north of the border, holding major singles championship gold as both the NWA Scottish Heavyweight Champion and the PBW Heavyweight Champion simultaneously (after losing the BCW Heavyweight title, which he also held at the same time, earlier in the year). As Scotland's top dog, Lionheart has also been in demand in England, where he has been called to wrestle for 1PW, PW101, IPW:UK, TTP, DPW, SSW and PPW. Master of the frog splash, his continued success is reflected in his highest ever UKFF UK50 finish, carrying on the 4-year pattern of a rise through the rankings each time.....

In PBW, Lionheart was dominant as the top wrestler in the promotion, main eventing every show. His incredible run saw him rack up successful title defences against TJ Rage and Brad Fusion in August and September 2009 respectively, before beating England's Martin Stone in the main event of PBW's largest show of the year, "Maximum Impact" in October. He beat Stone again in a December rematch, before adding former BCW opponent Darkside, Paul Tracey, Germany's Bad Bones and Andy Wild to his record in 2010. He even found time to team with career rival/friend Wolfgang to see off Project Ego (Martin Kirby and Kris Travis) in a tag main event in February.....

Over in SWA, where his appearances have been more sporadic, Lionheart was scheduled to defend his NWA Scottish Heavyweight Championship against Wolfgang in the main event of "The Gathering III", the annual supershow held at Glasgow's Kelvin Hall. However, Money in the Bank winner Scott Renwick, who had won a Scramble match earlier that same night to earn a title shot to his choosing, chose to cash in there and then, making the contest a 3-way. Renwick hit his finish on LH and pinned him to win the belt. Lionheart secured a singles rematch against Renwick at "rebirth" in Uddingston in March, where he failed to come away with the win again. Lionheart has since beaten Mike Musso to move forwards in SWA's tournament to crown a new NWA British Heavyweight Champion..... Across in BCW, LH passed the torch in defeat to rookie sensation Noam Dar in the opening contest of "No Blood, No Sympathy 7" in December, and declared his removal from BCW as a result. Since the end of the 2010 UKFF UK50 period, Lionheart has since made a surprise return to the promotion to challenge Kid Fite, which looks like the promotion's next big singles scenario.....

In England, Lionheart continued his 1PW feud against heel General Manager and former associate Adam Curtis, leading to Curtis matching his up with US indy wrestler Jimmy Jacobs at the "4th Anniversary Show" in November. Lionheart beat Jacobs in a poor match, but was attacked afterwards by new storyline 1PW owner Alex Shane, in an angle which went absolutely nowhere. Earlier that same day, however, Lionheart had just put on a genuinely thrilling bout with ROH Wrestling's Davey Richards for the Pro Wrestling 101 promotion. Regarded by many as a career-making performance which announced his arrival as one of Britain's premier wrestlers, the bout stole the entire day. Based on the incredible reaction to their first terrific contest, Lionheart and Richards were scheduled to rematch over 3 falls for PW101 in March at the ill-fated and ironically-named "Unstoppable" show in Sheffield. Instead, Davey Richards failed to arrive and Lionheart instead wrestled El Ligero in the main. It was to be PW101's last ever show, but Lionheart continued to be the pushed man in 1PW, where he faced Nigel McGuinness/Desmond Wolfe in yet another cracker, which headlined 1PW's Liverpool event. In a recurring theme, it was to be 1PW's last ever show.....

Lionheart was even seen in Kent for IPW:UK's "5th Anniversary Show" in September 2009, where he took part in a Global Gauntlet series. Although he didn't get past his first opponent, Lionheart put on an impressive performance in a really good match with James Mason.....

What did the UKFF think?

"Has the superstar aura about him. When asked to step up to the plate, he does so with no problem"

"The match between Richards and Lionheart was immense, probably one of the best I've seen. He's destined for great things"

"For a guy who has been all over the UK, its a surprise that he hasn't yet made a big appearance somewhere in America. I mean, James Wallace got to Chikara and he's bloody terrible! Great all-rounder"

"Great look, good on the mike and good in the ring, one of Scotland's top talents"

"Has had two absolutely amazing matches in this time period, the first against Davey Richards at 101's Perfect Twist Of Fate afternoon card in November 09, the second was probably my favourite UK match of 2010 so far against Desmond Wolfe/Nigel McGuinness at 1PW's last show. And while he's had those two stand out matches, he's hardly been slacking in matches against Jimmy Jacobs, Doug Williams and El Ligero. He has the wrestling skills, the look and the determination to go very far. At a small show in a new market, I was surprised at how over he was. But the guy just has an aura about him that people find very easy to latch onto"

"Carries himself like a star and knows how to connect with an audience, heel or face. Great look"

"Another solid year for this great guy, fantastic energy and someone who I just love watching perform"

"Excellent worker, serious and dedicated to wrestling"

"An out-and-out sports entertainer"

"Another year of continuous improvement and his match against Davey Richards was one of the best of 2009"

"Growing talent who seems to get better with each match, and he's proven that he can hang with the big boys in recent months, especially with a cracker against Desmond Wolfe at 1PW"

"Reliable, dependable and truly talented. His determination is there for all to see and has received plenty of acclaim this year which is all truly warranted. Another guy who rarely has a poor match and yet again another UK talent that could see his star shine brighter internationally in the coming years"

"puts on a performance. A great, great wrestler"

"Can have a good match with anyone and can have a great match against most people"

"Not been as excellent a year for Lionheart at home with losing SWA and BCW belts, but what I've read he has been great down south. Always a solid worker, he had an insane match with bad Bones in PBW recently. Could easily be back in any company's title frame by year's end"

"Mainly on top due to the two British MOTYC's he's had against Davey Richards and Desmond Wolfe. But then other matches I've seen him have, such as against Doug Williams, El Ligero and Jimmy Jacobs were pretty damn good in their own right. The guy just has an 'aura' about him, a definite superstar quality. Definitely deserves the spot here at the top"

"Has had some real standout matches when he has defended the PBW Championship. His match with Bad Bones in Largs this year seen him steal the show from Project Ego vs. Ligero/Pac which itself was a match was every bit as good as I expected it to be. That just goes to show. Always looks the part in the main event scene"

• Paid Members

So, the Top 10 you've all voted for this year looks like:

(alphabetical order)

Dave Mastiff

El Ligero

Joey Hayes

Johnny Moss

Kris Travis

Mark Haskins

Martin Kirby

Martin Stone

Spud

Zack Sabre Jr

Predictions? Right? Wrong?

Until then, have another:

~~SHIT LIST No. 5(equal) - "Highlander" Colin McKay~~

highlanderi.jpg

Veteran of the rings up in Scotland, featuring mainly for his own BCW promotion but also appearing regularly in PBW, aswell as appearing for W3L, ICW, ScSW, etc. Cutting his teeth years ago through Hammerlock, highlight matches throughout the year to have featured prominently on cards have included bouts with Johnny Moss at BCWs big "No Blood, No Sympathy" and Liam Thomson and Red Lightning for PBW, though has to rely heavily on hardcore style wrestling since the verdict appears to be that he has little else left in his bag.....

In 2010, Highlander is often matched with younger, less experienced Scottish wrestlers trying to break through, such as Justin Thorne, Steven Xavier, TJ Rage, Andy Wild and Chris Rampage. Indeed, Highlander is involved in training these guys through the Scottish Pro Wrestling Academy, where he sits as head trainer. Problem seems to be, however, that he is reportedly rather unprofessional when it comes to wrestling these ounger guys and supposedly takes unnecessary liberties with them.....

"Same shit, different match. Seems to be obsessed with going through tables, the fucking idiot"

"Shadow of his former self"

"I don't know how someone could be so bloody awful after being around so long. The only reason I can give for seeing this guy ANYWHERE has to be politics"

"Unprofessional prick inside the ring"

"His matches look sloppy and rely far too much on blood and weapons to try and compensate for his weaknesses in the ring"

"Intentionally stiff. Unprofessional with less experienced workers, doesn't work with them for the benefit of the match, only to put himself over as a shooter and "ring veteran""

"Possible nonce. Fumbles McStupid. 'Nuff said"