Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Fascinating stuff chokey, cheers for sharing.

I've got no problem with people being anti violence but i've always taken issue with someone taking a paycheck for something then slagging it off (especially before it comes out - thus potentially harming it's success) I'm disappointed, after the departure of the best man in the world Nic Cage I was really looking forward to seeing Jim Carrey fill his shoes but this will leave a bad taste in my mouth for sure. He was great in Burt Wonderstone but it flopped and now he's distancing himself from this which has potential to be a great character role, it's a shame, I like Jim Carrey, I guess Mr popper's penguins 2 is probably on the horizon for him now.

I've got no problem with people being anti violence but i've always taken issue with someone taking a paycheck for something then slagging it off (especially before it comes out - thus potentially harming it's success).

If anything it's probably awesome PR for the film. kick Ass 2 is so violent that it Carrey readjust his philosophy on life? I'm fucking there!

In all seriousness I think the backlash has been a bit harsh. Carrey comes across as fairly genuine and conflicted as to his reasons for not promoting the movie... however I do thing it would of been more tasteful to keep schtum about his feelings, chalk it up to experience, and quietly choose his next roles carefully. Not announce it on Twitter.

• Paid Members

Wow, how's this for unimaginative casting? It's in no way confirmed but Mark Strong is strongly rumored to be the new Lex Luthor, great, except he was already the bad guy in Kick-Ass and Sherlock Holmes and Green Lantern.

I was really hoping they'd really cast someone special and unexpected, actors heads can be shaved, they didn't need to pick bald bad guy numero uno. Mark Strong is good though, if he gets the role at least he'll be a bit virile, commanding and intelligent not like Kevin Spacey's pantomime dame performance.

Could Mark Strong be the new Lex Luthor?

Now I've seen it twice and really had time to digest it I can say I really loved Man of Steel, possibly more than Avengers even.

Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Paid Members

I thought I could see something in the moving gif but I went through it frame by frame and don't think there's anything there.

I just read Kick-Ass 2 in preparation to see the movie and there's quite a lot of stuff that seems too extreme for the film. After what Carrey said maybe it will be as over the top as the comic but I doubt it.

Also big spoilers for the comic

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Sgt Stars is hardly in it and gets killed horribly half way through, surely Jim Carrey will do more than that? I guess they'll focus more on the team forming and less on some of the more extreme sequences, I can't imagine the severed dog head, gang rape of Kick-Ass' crush or the toddlers being shot by the Mother Fucker will make it into the film.

• Awards Moderator
I thought I could see something in the moving gif but I went through it frame by frame and don't think there's anything there.

I just read Kick-Ass 2 in preparation to see the movie and there's quite a lot of stuff that seems too extreme for the film. After what Carrey said maybe it will be as over the top as the comic but I doubt it.

Also big spoilers for the comic

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Sgt Stars is hardly in it and gets killed horribly half way through, surely Jim Carrey will do more than that? I guess they'll focus more on the team forming and less on some of the more extreme sequences, I can't imagine the severed dog head, gang rape of Kick-Ass' crush or the toddlers being shot by the Mother Fucker will make it into the film.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

That last thing you mention might have, since Carrey mentions Sandy Hook in his statement.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I'm not that bothered about Kick Ass 2 anyway. After all the hype about the first one, when I caught it I was underwhelmed, I don't like Aaron Taylor-Johnson much and it felt like they knew Hit Girl would catch on so they played the "look! She's swearing and being violent!" thing too much. It was okay, but not the five star classic the film mags made it out to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

OK i saw man of steel and unless i missed something the whole film is one giant plot hole. If someone could correct me that would be awesome as i quite liked it apart from the below that ruined it.

So in a blind panic, Baby clark is sent to earth with his S key. The one thing that can unlock the whole reason for him being there. But unless i missed something, Crowe had no idea that there was a crashed ship under 16 tons of ice? So in affect he sent superman to a planet with a real chance he would never find out what the S key was for let alone be able use it and talk to him. Superman only went to find the ship after overhearing a bunch of jar heads in a bar? Thats a hell of a chance to take isnt it?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Its been bugging me since i saw it.

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
OK i saw man of steel and unless i missed something the whole film is one giant plot hole. If someone could correct me that would be awesome as i quite liked it apart from the below that ruined it.

So in a blind panic, Baby clark is sent to earth with his S key. The one thing that can unlock the whole reason for him being there. But unless i missed something, Crowe had no idea that there was a crashed ship under 16 tons of ice? So in affect he sent superman to a planet with a real chance he would never find out what the S key was for let alone be able use it and talk to him. Superman only went to find the ship after overhearing a bunch of jar heads in a bar? Thats a hell of a chance to take isnt it?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Its been bugging me since i saw it.

The S key was like a multi purpose individual key that would act with any Kryptonian technology, (did they use it with his baby ship? I don't remember, but it did get used on Zod's ship). Jor-El had no idea that Supes would ever get to use it and he could well have gone his whole life with no idea who he was, but if they were going to send him away with one thing it would be that as it's his identity key and in the unlikely chance he did ever find any Kryptonian tech (which luckily he did) he could use it with it.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();