Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I finally saw Captain America Winter Soldier tonight and I really enjoyed it. People that think all superhero films are the same should check out the Cap films because I can't remember the last time I saw a film and their sequel that were so different, the tone, the pacing, visually, everything felt so different it was great. I also loved the fact (as many people have said) that it played like a 70s spy thriller (but with a modern blockbuster amount of action, great combo), it was such a great idea and they should do more genre superhero movies.

So I watched Amazing Spiderman 2. It was a let down, I like the first more. I think the problem was the characters felt like they were in different movies. Garfield/DeHaan felt like they were from a Dark Knight tone movie, they were very good. Foxx felt like a cartoon character, even though the movie was long, it was like massive strokes in character change for him each time he appeared. The Rhino was awful, he was like something out of Batman and Robin. Last time I checked, Amazing Spiderman 2 was doing worse than Spiderman 3 on RT, that can't be what Sony were hoping for. I don't think it's as bad as that, theirs some good in there, but I think Sony have got the wrong idea about going about making a shared universe. Make a good movie first, just don't use it as a setup for other films. I still don't see how a sinister six movie can work. What will the bad guys be doing? Where will Spiderman be while they're causing havoc?

Shame really, as the trailers were great and after the first I thought this would be the next step up. It could be the bar for comic movie has been raised and you can't get away with so-so movies anymore.

Edited by The Total Package

• Paid Members
the TV series about young Jim Gordon and baby Batman, this looks awful to me, I love Batman but I can't get into the idea of this. Seeing Batman as a kid doesn't interest me, neither does seeing a cop show with a vague connection to Batman. The fact that it has Batman's villains as slightly younger versions of themselves appearing but Batman is a child I don't get, what's the point? Edited by Call me Bellend

• Paid Members
I think Sony have got the wrong idea about going about making a shared universe. Make a good movie first, just don't use it as a setup for other films. I still don't see how a sinister six movie can work. What will the bad guys be doing? Where will Spiderman be while they're causing havoc?

I was under the impression that this wasn't going to happen - have Sony negotiated something with Marvel/Disney?

I think Sony have got the wrong idea about going about making a shared universe. Make a good movie first, just don't use it as a setup for other films. I still don't see how a sinister six movie can work. What will the bad guys be doing? Where will Spiderman be while they're causing havoc?

I was under the impression that this wasn't going to happen - have Sony negotiated something with Marvel/Disney?

The "shared" universe they're having is the Spider-Man one. They're making a Venom movie and possibly even a Sinister Six film, if they can figure out how that'd work. I read something about trying to claim The Punisher but that could be bollocks. Point is, there'll still be no interaction with the Avengers.

Edited by Daaaaaad!

The "shared" universe they're having is the Spider-Man one. They're making a Venom movie and possibly even a Sinister Six film, if they can figure out how that'd work. I read something about trying to claim The Punisher but that could be bollocks. Point is, there'll still be no interaction with the Avengers.

Well Punisher Warzone was a Marvel film distributed by Lions Gate, so I don't see Sony being able to get their hands on the Punisher.

What Daaaaaad! said. Although I can understand the confusion after the end credits in Spiderman2, had to kill my friends excitement when we watched it. Since the success of Avengers every studio is falling over themselves to make a shared universe. The problem with Sony is that they only own Spiderman franchise characters, so outside of Venom it's nearly impossible to do a standalone movie with anyone else. Which is why many people including myself are wondering just how they're going to pull off a Sinister Six movie, and wouldn't a crossover movie just be Spiderman 4 really? Theirs no big draw there to me like Avengers.

The only studio that has any hope of matching Disney is Fox, since they own X men and F4 which gives them a massive range of characters and spin off movies to make. I just remembered DC/Wb as well, but they have way too many characters for one studio to output films in time, it already takes them 3 years to make one or two it seems.

Marvel will never sell any of it's characters again, so Punisher will never be with Sony. I think we will eventually see a Punisher tv series on Netflix.

I have to agree with Bellend, that new Gotham series looks shit. I really hate that DC/Wb want everything in the DC universe based around Nolan's imprint. It only works for those 3 films not the whole universe, plus why do I want teen versions of iconic characters? Batman and Catwoman knew each other when they were kids? Just sounds like bollocks. It's simply using the disguise of being Batman, when it's really just a crappy cop show, with kids.

• Paid Members

What Daaaaaad! said. Although I can understand the confusion after the end credits in Spiderman2, had to kill my friends excitement when we watched it. Since the success of Avengers every studio is falling over themselves to make a shared universe. The problem with Sony is that they only own Spiderman franchise characters, so outside of Venom it's nearly impossible to do a standalone movie with anyone else. Which is why many people including myself are wondering just how they're going to pull off a Sinister Six movie, and wouldn't a crossover movie just be Spiderman 4 really? Theirs no big draw there to me like Avengers.

I think the limits are as problematic as their creative team allow it to be, to be honest. They may only own a certain number of characters, but it's what you do with them that counts, I think. If they own Spiderman franchise characters, that's quite a few - Spiderman, Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider, Venom, Carnage, both Green Goblins, Hobgoblin, Cardiac, Doc Ock and the Superior Spiderman storyline (which I fucking love), Shocker, The Spider-Slayer, The Scorpion, etc.

The more low-profile ones they can just work on to make a bigger deal, but there's more than enough there to make a few movies with, provided they make enough good movies to build up some goodwill with.

• Paid Members
I'm not so sure Sony can do a Superior Spider-man movie storylne, or a Miles Morales "Ultimate Spider-man" for that matter, since both characters were created after the Sony?Marvel deal was signed...

Difficult to call on Superior.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Superior Spider-Man wasn't technically a new character, merely storyline of two existing characters interacting.

Put it this way: if they were to do ASMIII, featuring Doc Oc, and the storyline revolves around him dying and taking over Peter, who then fights back to get back control of his body, one could argue that's just a storyline.

They don't have to call the movie "Superior Spider-Man".

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Sony were recently asked about other Spidermen appearing in the films, and they basically said hell no. It will be Peter Parker and that's it.

If they own Spiderman franchise characters, that's quite a few - Spiderman, Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider, Venom, Carnage, both Green Goblins, Hobgoblin, Cardiac, Doc Ock and the Superior Spiderman storyline (which I fucking love), Shocker, The Spider-Slayer, The Scorpion, etc.

The more low-profile ones they can just work on to make a bigger deal, but there's more than enough there to make a few movies with, provided they make enough good movies to build up some goodwill with.

So knowing that, it seems like most of the ones you named won't be used, even if they do hold the rights. You can honestly see a standalone film of Shocker and Scorpion? I admit I don't read the comics and most of what I know comes from the old 90s animated show, but I think you'd be really reaching to make a standalone movie out of them, plus where would the interest be? The only one that works for me is Venom, as he is basically a bad version of Spiderman. I just don't think you can pull off what Marvel did, as each of their hero characters have a bunch of heel characters to play off in their own mini standalone universe, before you get to the big crossover bad like Thanos.

• Paid Members
Sony were recently asked about other Spidermen appearing in the films, and they basically said hell no. It will be Peter Parker and that's it.

If they own Spiderman franchise characters, that's quite a few - Spiderman, Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider, Venom, Carnage, both Green Goblins, Hobgoblin, Cardiac, Doc Ock and the Superior Spiderman storyline (which I fucking love), Shocker, The Spider-Slayer, The Scorpion, etc.

So knowing that, it seems like most of the ones you named won't be used, even if they do hold the rights. You can honestly see a standalone film of Shocker and Scorpion? I admit I don't read the comics and most of what I know comes from the old 90s animated show, but I think you'd be really reaching to make a standalone movie out of them, plus where would the interest be? The only one that works for me is Venom, as he is basically a bad version of Spiderman. I just don't think you can pull off what Marvel did, as each of their hero characters have a bunch of heel characters to play off in their own mini standalone universe, before you get to the big crossover bad like Thanos.

I don't think there's be a standalone of Shocker and Scorpion, but there could be spin-offs where the Scarlet Spider or Venom's the hero. From what I understand, Scarlet's a relatively popular character.

I agree there are limits, but for my warped mind it sounds like it could be fun to try and write something great with those severe limits in place.

EDIT: Shit, didn't read the first line, sorry. Well, that's a bit crap.

Edited by Carbomb

I'm not so sure Sony can do a Superior Spider-man movie storylne, or a Miles Morales "Ultimate Spider-man" for that matter, since both characters were created after the Sony?Marvel deal was signed...

Superior Spider-Man wasn't technically a new character, merely storyline of two existing characters interacting.

Put it this way: if they were to do ASMIII, featuring Doc Oc, and the storyline revolves around him dying and taking over Peter, who then fights back to get back control of his body, one could argue that's just a storyline.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Ah you got round to reading superior? How far are you into it?

• Paid Members

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Ah you got round to reading superior? How far are you into it?

Issue 13, I think. Haven't been able to read much recently, been studying, but will definitely get back into it soon.

Am at the bit where he's fighting the Spider-Slayer and the others in the prison.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Really am enjoying it so far.