Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

little more on this weekend's Bellator, it should be worth a watch Chunk...

Will Brooks is probably the most underrated Lightweight in the sport...two wins over Michael Chandler prove that, yet he doesn't get anything like the same amount of kudos as Chandler. Dave Jansen is getting his shot off the back of holding a tournament win which Bellator are honouring, he's 7-0 in Bellator but he's been pretty inactive. I expect Brooks to impose his will on him and pick up the win though, Brooks is a big ass lightweight.

Joe Schilling's record isn't stellar, but he's popular due to his fighting style basically. He was recognised as the top full Muay Thai rules fighter in the US but transitioned to straight kickboxing and MMA for the money's, Bellator sure aint giving him easy fights to break into the sport though, stylistically good but high level opponents.

Held/Tiger Sarnavskiy is a classic striker vs. grappler fight. Marcin Held is one of the most exciting submission fighters in the game, he's one of those guys who wants it on the floor but attacks always, outstanding heel hooks and lots of fun to watch. Sannavisky is all aggression so this fight pretty much can't not be anything other than exciting.

Alexander Volkov is the former Bellator Heavyweight champ, not the most imposing looking heavyweight but he's tall, lean and is handy as fuck on the feet. Tony Johnson i've seen fight a few times, he's mixed in some decent company, just a big fucking lump who'll likely want to put Volkov on his back and keep him there.

Nice one. I'm as into this show as I am the UFC Poland show now.

Cool features on Schilling:

https://youtu.be/rkQhh0ddgsY

and Brooks:

https://youtu.be/ClQOxXdHWhI

Edit: No idea why youtube videos don't embed for me ...

Also found this GIF of Schilling knocking out Manhoef in his last Bellator fight:

tumblr_nf5cf4DiGg1ry1rm7o2_400.gif

Dude's got power!

Edited by ChUnK

• Paid Members

Yep, that was pretty sweet. Schilling earned his reputation and nickname for being nasty as fuck with elbows, im hoping we get to see him incooperate some of that stuff into his MMA game.

Edited by Ebb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

wee heads up, BAMMA airs it's first live show on Spike TV this Saturday, so if you're bored on Saturday night watched yourselves some live fights :thumbsup:  starts at 10pm.

bamma20-poster.jpg

quick note, BAMMA have roped in David Haye to do commentary, looks to be a long term deal too.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/bamma-20-colin-freakshow-fletcher-5559198

Mirror piece about the show ^

One FC also airs live over here, it's on tomorrow (friday) at around mid-day on Premier Sports. Nothing really leaps out at me on the card but i wanna see Askren fight so i'll likely watch it live.

LHZZhE7.jpg

Edited by Ebb

Yeah, any time big bad Ben is fighting it's worth watching. The best welterweight on the planet who isn't Canadian and retired.

When Ben Askren puts his welterweight strap on the line against Luis Santos at ONE Championship 26, it won't be Askren's first run-in with the veteran Brazilian.

Four years ago, Santos promised to steal a different belt away from Askren -- the Bellator welterweight title -- with a run through the promotion's season-five tournament. Santos ultimately fell well short of his goal, losing to a Ben Saunders Americana in bracket's second round, but Askren hasn't forgotten the myriad of empty threats "Sapo" threw his way in the tourney's lead-up.

"I'm excited to beat him up," Askren said. "Because the funny way that Bellator worked, every season there was eight new welterweights and they were trying to get one of them to fight me, right? So every season eight welterweights would say, ‘Ben Askren sucks, I'm going to kick his ass.' And then every season, seven of them would look like idiots because they wouldn't even get to fight me because they weren't good enough. Luis Santos is one of those guys.

"So you know, I'm going to have to go put the hammer on him and make him look stupid for the comments he made in the past."

Askren (14-0) and Santos are slated to meet on April 24 in the headlining bout of ONE Championship's latest foray into the Philippines, and Santos is already picking up where he left off four years ago, chirping at Askren and vowing to steal away his ONE title. With 35 career knockouts and a jiu-jitsu black belt to his credit, Santos dismissed Askren's wrestling as a threat in media reports while maintaining that the former Olympian has "never felt power" like his own -- a statement to which Askren couldn't help but laugh.

"That's silly. He don't hit as hard as Douglas Lima. Give me a freaking break," Askren said. "I mean, he probably doesn't his as hard as (Andrey) Koreshkov either. That's just silly. Though I mean, Koreshkov didn't hit me, so I guess he does have a valid point that I never felt that, because he didn't touch me."

Despite his past Bellator struggles, Santos (61-9-1) is an experienced and talented fighter who may very well be the most formidable challenge currently available to Askren in ONE Championship. Aside from being an accomplished jiu-jitsu player, the 35-year-old is also a black belt judoka who's gone nearly three years without tasting defeat. Over that streak, six of Santos' seven straight wins ended inside of three minutes, including a 53-second mauling of Bakhtiyar Abbasov in Santos' ONE Championship debut.

So while Askren admits that he expects to have his way with Santos -- Funky Style, just like he likes it -- he's conscious of making sure that his confidence doesn't overstep into foolishness.

"If you get bored, that's when you start getting into danger," Askren said. "MMA is a dangerous sport, no matter who your challenge is, you've got to be on top of your game. I think that's one of the fun things about MMA. Because, say it was a wrestling match, I could be really lax and give up a few takedowns and then come back and it'd be no big deal. But an MMA fight, it only takes one strike and the fight could be over. If you get hit in the eye once, it's a completely different fight.

"I don't want to say you have to be perfect, but you've really got to be on top of your game and make sure nothing happens to let the fight go the other way. So I think that's the fun challenge of this, being as good as you can be every single time you walk into the cage."

• Paid Members

well, a complete shambled over in One Championship (i forget they'd changed the name).

First off, it was a nice as fuck watching some fight live on a friday afternoon :) first time ive watched a One show in full. The whole thing felt like a showcase for the Filipino fighters on the card, some exciting little fightes amongst the bunch though with some real star power and charsima. The production is great though and the whole thing comes off like a massive deal. Having the old crazy Pride lady do the ring entrances is a nice touch too.

As for the main event...

In the time it lasted, Luis Santos gave Ben Askren hell. He snuffed takedowns, judo threw Askren twice, and nearly soccer kicked Askren into next week on a couple of inches, missing the target by inches (the soccer kick thing really is a detrement to wrestlers in MMA, they need to re-introduce it in the UFC). After a furious 2 minutes, Askren was still pushing forward looking for the takedown and Sapo was starting to suck a wind a little. Askren shot in again, clearly thumbed Santos in the eye yet scored the takedown. Then it got weird...

Santos clutched his eye and the ref jumped in to halt the fight. The ref at this point seemed to think Santos was faking and kept saying he was hit with a shoulder, he tried to re-start it on the floor, Santos was still clutching his eye so the ref waved it off. There's mass confusion, the ref then asks to see a replay, clearly sees the eye poke and says Santos has 5 mins to recover. After around 10 Santos is still wandering around like a blind man, the ref. (who's speaking English) clearly can't communicate properly with Sapo who's eithe stupid or he's pulling a fast one, Santos' corner are shown with 'what the fuck?' looks on their faces. Eventually it has to be waved off because Sapo wasn't ever gonna come back out to fight, the thing is ruled a no-contest and everyone is pissed.

Askren called Santos out later saying he looked for a way out, said he'd heard previously heard that Santos starts strong then looks to get out of fights and ridicules Sapo's lack of understanding of the referee ("he's trained in the US for 5 years he knows what the refs saying"). I have to somewhat agree, despite owning Askren for 2mins, his body language and complete unwillingness to comply seemed like he was trying to get the fight thrown out, the poke was bad though. It's. It's a shame because it was awesome while it lasted, Askren was in a scrap.

• Paid Members

Yeah, any time big bad Ben is fighting it's worth watching. The best welterweight on the planet who isn't Canadian and retired.

you still stand by that statement after the Santos fight Dave?

Watched the Fletcher bout from BAMMA's debut on Spike. Fairly fun fight, although Fletcher basically got battered for 3 rounds. Didn't rate the coverage highly at all, first of all Froch was co-presenting not Haye as advertised, to be fair he seemed quite knowledgeable and was better than the main presenter who was hideous.

Cant stand BAMMA's commentary. Haven't ever done. The American guy always sounds so forceful and does a rubbish Joe Rogan impression of getting excited when something big happens in a fight.

• Paid Members

He isnt American, that was Michael Schivallo, he's Australian. He's also one of my favorite announcers, i can see why people wouldn't like his style though.

The BAMMA presentation was decent enough, though i think the need to make it look big and flashy can make it come off as tacky. They did the thing where they air two fights live then squeeze fights from earlier in the night onto the end of the broadcast, never really a fan of that but i can live with it.

Was great to see Carl Froch on there though, seemed to know a little bit, and a half decent job of analysing the fights in the short time he had. I think they roped Froch in last minute because Haye was arrested in Dubai.

Decent job though...i hope BAMMA keeps this thing going with Spike though, these tv deals always seem to die after a couple of shows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bellator 137 goes down tomorrow night...

Bellator_137_Halsey_vs._Grove_Poster-282

Main Card (Spike TV)
Brandon Halsey (8-0) vs. Kendall Grove (21-14, 1 NC)
Eduardo Dantas (16-4) vs. Mike Richman (18-5)
Fernando Gonzalez (23-13) vs. Curtis Millender (7-1)
Darrion Caldwell (6-0) vs. Rafael Silva (22-4)

Preliminary Card (Spike.com)
Ben Reiter (15-0-1) vs. Benji Radach (21-6-1)
Virgil Zwicker (13-4-1) vs. Razak Al-Hassan (12-4)
Joe Taimanglo (20-6-1) vs. Antonio Duarte (18-5)
Jordan Parsons (10-1) vs. Julio Cesar Neves Jr. (30-0)
Jesse Juarez (22-9) vs. Ricky Rainey (10-3)

Main event might not grab people immediatly but it's a legit grudge match. The build has basically consisted of Kendall Grove calling Halsey a PED user, he claims that it's well known that Halsey is on the juice, he isn't the only fighter to say it either. Halsey has passed a pre-fight drug test though.

Regardless, Halsey is a fucking tank and choked out Alexander Shlemenko in 35 seconds last time out. The fact that Halsey is likely going to take Grove down the mat where Grove can work his back game means this probably going to be a pretty exciting fight, chuck in the added needle and im on board!

Dantas/Richman is a legit fight at 135lb too and should be worth tuning in for.

Oh and Benji Radach returns! bit of a treat for the old school fans, first fight in 4 years! time flies.

Bellator is listed to be on Spike on Saturday night at 10, but for some reason they are advertising Bellator 133, not sure if that's a mistake on the websites post or if Spike are just showing old shit, which would suck.

• Paid Members

This Julio Cesar Neves Jr., what's the story with him? 30 wins undefeated - I'm guessing a lot of these wins are cans then, if they're not making that a big a deal of him?

• Paid Members

I think it's just because up until recently he'd been building his record almost exclusively in Brazil against Brazilians no-one outside Brazil has heard of. Like no-one ever talked about Renan Barao until he started tearing through WEC/UFC.

He's a bit of an unknown really in that we don't know how far he can go against top fighters, but what he has shown so far has been promising. I haven't seen a great deal of him but just from the little bits I've seen and looking through his record, it's quite impressive regardless of the opposition he's beat. He's had a load of stoppages in that streak. And, without checking, something insane like 12 KOs by flying knee or something.

Plus he did this...

tumblr_mrhp6rV8Qb1qhndw9o2_250.gif

He could potentially be something special for Bellator down the line. Or maybe he'll be exposed once he steps up a level. I like him though.

• Paid Members

Bellator are signing some great prospects. I'll make sure i check out the prelims for this show.

Razak Al-Hassan on there too, remember him? He's the dude that fought through a fully hyper-extended armbar in the UFC refusing to tap.

Oh, and Brandon Halsey missed weight and has been stripped off his title before the fight even takes place...Grove can still win it though.