Other MMA Shows

Egg Shen

Excited for the Bellator show. Interesting to see King Mo fight Kongo and im a McGeary fan and really think he is going to beat Newton. Think he may finish him early too.

Also looking forward to Invicta 11: 

Invicta_zpslndvv0ao.jpg

Featherweight Title Fight: Cristiane ‘Cyborg’ Justino (12-1, 1 NC) vs. Charmaine Tweet (6-4)

Strawweight: Alexa Grasso (6-0) vs. Mizuki Inoue (8-3)

Strawweight: DeAnna Bennett (6-0) vs. Norma Rueda Center (3-1)

Bantamweight: Irene Aldana (4-1) vs. Colleen Schneider (6-5)

Strawweight: Jamie Moyle (1-0) vs. J.J. Aldrich (1-0)

Strawweight: Brianna Van Buren (3-1) vs. Amy Montenegro (5-1)

Flyweight: Christine Stanley (3-1) vs. Laura Salazar (3-0)

Flyweight: Ana Carolina Vidal (0-0) vs. Aspen Ladd (0-0)

Mostly looking forward to seeing Grasso again. Been impressed with what I've seen so far and really think she could be in the UFC soon. Especially with them having another show in Mexico. Not the biggest names on the cards. But Invicta cards are always a fun watch. Never been disappointed with any.

• Paid Members

Is it on telly Ebb?

Its not listed anywhere. Why do they show some shows but not others??

considering the last one was on 5* it's very weird that this one isn't listed considering it's a British themed show. Stupid.

I'm curious to see Bobby Lashley. I remember he was in WWE around the time I stopped watching.

Lashley's injured, that's one of the fights that dropped off.

When 5* edited out the entire segment announcing the fights for this upcoming Bellator show from the Ortiz/Bonnar show, I figured it meant they had no firm plans to air it. It made no sense otherwise for them to edit the segment out when it revolved around British fighters. In any event, it speaks volumes as to 5*’s commitment to Bellator when they won’t even air a show that sees a British fighter in the main event, fighting for a title.

I like Liam McGeary’s chances against Emanuel Newton. It’s no secret I think Newton is average at best. That and his tendency to start going for the spinning back fist over and over again make McGeary, I think, a good shot for winning. McGeary’s striking is good and it’s more fluid and varied than Newton’s. We know he can fight off his back. I don’t know if McGeary can finish Newton because he’s fairly resilient but I think he has a great chance at taking the title.

I’ll be watching the Invicta show as well. They rarely have a bad night and even though they have a lot of very green fighters on their roster since most of the experienced ones were signed away by the UFC, they always seem to pick the green fighters who look very polished despite their inexperience.

• Paid Members

Yeh, im big on McGeary and it appears that most people thinks he's winning the belt. He's great to watch, very tall but super aggressive but he also fights with that little bit of nastiness i like to see.

As for Newton, most people seem to be shitting on him cause he struggled and lost rounds against Joey Beltran last time out, but Newton's the kind of guy that can give anyone problems depending on how the opponent adapts to his weird style. He's a modern day Keith Jardine in that sense, Jardine could make great fighters look very ordinary, yet other times he could look like shit and lose badly. Newton has that same kind of vibe.

• Paid Members

Did I imagine it or weren't Spike meant to be starting a channel over here? If I didn't imagine it then I guess it'd make sense for us to get Bellator on there whenever it launches. Until then though, fuck knows?

Nothing new though. We never got Pride over here. Strikeforce coverage on Bravo was hit and miss. We never got WEC until the company was closed, and Extreme Sports picked up some old events. We don't get Invicta (unless you're on Fight Pass). Now Bellator coverage is patchy. MMA companies must hate the UK.

Did I imagine it or weren't Spike meant to be starting a channel over here? If I didn't imagine it then I guess it'd make sense for us to get Bellator on there whenever it launches. Until then though, fuck knows?

They did and are planning on placing Viva on Sky/Virgin and replacing it with Spike on freeview, last I read anyway. 

Invicta 11

Ana Carolina Vidal (125.7lbs, 0-0) vs. Aspen Ladd (125.lbs, 0-0) kicked things off in the prelims. It was a decent fight, both women looking good for debuting fighters. Vidal looked great early with a beautiful throw and she generally controlled the fight. The end came when Ladd got the back of Vidal and she began pounding Vidal with elbows to the side of the head and the referee stepped in to stop the fight. It looked early but Vidal was just holding her hands around her head and not actively defending herself and everyone knows that referees are looking for the fighters to actively defend themselves or they will stop the fight.

Christine Stanley (125.5lbs, 3-1) vs. Laura Salazar (129lbs, 3-0) was short and pretty much one-sided. Stanley nailed Salazar with a standing knee and then dropped her with punches. Salazar tried to fight back but she didn’t really have anything for Stanley.

Brianna Van Buren (115.5lbs, 3-1) vs. Amy Montenegro (115.6lbs, 5-1) was a competitive fight but not the most exciting because much of it involved either woman simply pressing the other against the cage. Van Buren looked the better in the first round, especially with her striking, but Montenegro got more into the fight as it went on and she was in control for almost the entire final round. Montenegro got the nod with scores of 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28.

Jamie Moyle (115.5lbs, 1-0) vs. JJ Aldrich (115.7lbs, 1-0) rounded out the prelims. This was short, with Aldrich slipping early on and Moyle grabbing hold of Aldrich before she could get back up and Moyle controlled Aldrich, able to get behind her and take her back, sinking in a neck crank and then a rear naked choke and Aldrich was choked out in 2:20.

Irena Aldana (135lbs, 4-1) vs. Colleen Schneider (135.3lbs, 6-5) kicked off the main card. It lasted barely more than a minute with Schneider stumbling and leaving herself open to strikes, Aldana then quickly taking her back and getting a rear naked choke and the tap out in just 1:05.

Deanna Bennett (116lbs, 6-0) vs. Norma Center (116lbs, 3-1) had a few nice moments; Bennett wobbled Center early on with a solid punch. For the most part, however, the action, whilst fine enough, wasn’t really enthralling. It went the distance with Bennett getting the unanimous decision win with scores of 30-27, 29-28 and 29-28.

Alexa Grasso (115lbs, 6-0) vs. Mizuki Inoue (115.25lbs, 8-3) was the co-main event of the evening. This was a fairly good all-action fight. Grasso dominated the first two rounds with punches and kicks, generally being too quick for Inoue. Grasso also pulled out an inverted triangle choke at one point. Inoue came back in the third and had Grasso in trouble before Grasso fought back and managed to once again get the inverted triangle choke on. Grasso won with scores of 30-26, 29-28 and 29-28. Grasso should have won though I don’t think that first round was a 10-8.

Christine Justino © (144.5lbs, 12-1) vs. Charmaine Tweet (144.8lbs, 6-4) was the main event for the Invicta FC Featherweight title. Justino rocked and dropped Tweet almost right away, followed up with punches that appeared to break Tweet’s nose; Tweet somehow was able to get up but Justino swarmed her with punches and we got the not-so rare anymore standing TKO in just 46-seconds.

Bellator 134

Curtis Millende (170lbs, 7-0) vs. Brennan Ward (171lbs, 9-3) opened up the main card. It was short, fairly fun, and after not looking too good, Ward rocked and dropped Millende; Ward then quickly took his back an after minimal trouble, Ward sank in the rear naked choke to get the tap.

Sokoudjou (205lbs, 16-12) vs. Linton Vassell (205lbs, 14-4) saw Vassell rebound from his unsuccessful challenge for the light heavyweight title with a commanding but unexciting domination of Sokoudjobber. Not much else to say about a rather dry and dull fight, other than Vassell won via TKO due to strikes in the second.

Andre Santos (171lbs, 37-9) vs. Paul Daley (171lbs, 35-13-2) was a decent brawl, fairly competitive for the most part, with Daley taking a while to get going. Daley started to land more as the fight went on but he took some good shots as well, even getting momentarily wobbled late in the second round and then backing off as he sought to recover. The third round opened up with Daley dropping Santos after a couple of left hooks but he couldn’t finish him off with the follow up. Just before the half-way mark, Daley dropped Santos from the clinch with a knee to the head and Santos was also busted open. Santos was somehow able to get back to his feet and keep coming and with about thirty seconds left, Santos was finally able to get Daley down and get top position; Santos unloaded with punches, trying to get a stoppage, but Daley was able to fight back to his feet, though Santos took him back down as the round and fight ended. Daley got the nod with scores of 29-27, 29-28 and 29-28.

King Mo (217lbs, 14-4) vs. Cheick Kongo (239lbs, 22-9-2) saw the featherweights, at least according to Bellator’s own graphics, in action, with King Mo moving up to heavyweight to take on Cheick Kongo. This was an excruciatingly dull fight with nothing of note happening. Mo was repeatedly able to get Kongo down and control him against the ground, doing just enough to stop from being stood up but not really advancing his positioning or being particularly aggressive. This fight blew chunks. The scores were 30-27 for Mo, 29-28 for Kongo (an inexcusable score), and 29-28 for Mo. The right fighter won but how on earth did Kongo win a round?

Emanuel Newton © (204.5lbs, 25-7-1) vs. Liam McGeary (204lbs, 9-0) was the main event with McGeary looking to become the first British fighter to win a major MMA title. McGeary had a great first round, having Newton in trouble with at least three triangles, a couple of armbars, and able to escape or counter submission whenever Newton was able to get on offense. An easy 10-9 round for McGeary. Not too much happened in the second; Newton was able to somewhat control McGeary from top position and McGeary wasn’t able to get anything done from the bottom. That was until, with 20-seconds to go, he finally got Newton in the triangle again and managed to land some nice elbows, but Newton got free as the round ended. Not much happened in the third round as the pace noticeably slowed. Newton slipped at one point but still wound up able to get top position and again McGeary threatened with the triangle but Newton defended against it this time. Right at the end of the round, McGeary finally got the triangle and Newton ended up on his back and was eating punches as the round ended. A few more seconds and McGeary likely would have won via TKO. He didn’t but it should have been enough for him to win a round where nothing really happened. The fourth round was another slow affair that picked up somewhat late on with Newton taking McGeary down with just under two-minutes to go. Newton couldn’t do much, although he did a decent job of controlling McGeary who kept going for the triangle. Newton won the round and it’s the first round he clearly won, although it wasn’t a dominating showing. I have McGeary up 39-37 heading into the fifth but that second round was close enough, despite the finish, that it could be tied. Newton took McGeary down almost right away; McGeary not an armbar from the bottom but Newton slammed his way free. Newton remained in top position until the round and fight ended. Nothing happened, really, but Newton edges it because he was in control, though I still have McGeary winning 48-47; will the judges agree? Or will this be a fight where the guy who did more damage and more to win ends up losing? It all comes down to that second round, I think. The scores are 48-46, 48-47 and 48-47 for the winner and…NEW Bellator Light Heavyweight Champion, Liam McGeary. It looks like two of the judges saw it my way and the third seems to have given McGeary the first round 10-8. Not sure I would agree with that but the right man won. McGeary looked good for the most part; he obviously needs to work on some things but he could really be something, especially with how he can work off his back, using his legs for a variety of submissions.

Overall, Invicta was the better show but it didn’t have a fight that matched Newton/McGeary; Newton/McGeary was good, but what made it was the drama because the way that second round played out meant that you didn’t know for sure who was going to win. Conversely, Invicta also didn’t have a fight anywhere near as bad as Mo/Kongo. Both sides have a few production holes to shore up; Invicta opened up their show with a shot of a large and very empty section of seating, whilst Bellator kept using the same clip over and over whenever they ‘panned the crowd’ between fights, bringing back memories of WCW’s production on Worldwide during the 90s when they always showed the same crowd shot over and over again to edit out violence.

All those quibbles aside, Invicta had a good overall show but no real standout fights, whilst Bellator had a really good main event but with not much to support it Justino obviously wants the Rousey fight but it’s all on her and her ability to cut to 135lbs. If she can’t or won’t do it, the fight isn’t going to happen, and it’s nobody’s fault but hers. A lot of the women on the Invicta show will inevitably wind up in the UFC, either to make up the numbers or because they’re good enough for the major leagues, and for the most part it should be because of the latter. Over in Bellator, Paul Daley was pitching for a title shot ahead of his fight, feeling he’d prove he deserved it with his performance, but he neither helped nor hurt his chances with his performance. King Mo wants Ortiz which would at least be a new fight. Kongo’s stock took a hit with how Mo pretty much handled him with ease and he couldn’t do anything about it. Lots of possible directions for people to go in after Friday night; we’ll see how they all pan out.

• Paid Members

enjoyed Bellator, loved seeing the big screens and stuff come back as well as the Pride-esque intro.

The actual Team UK thing seemed to be forgotten after the intro (and Smith mentioning post-Vassell), but it ended up being a solid show outside of the terrible Mo/Kongo fight.

* Liam McGeary now holds the highest profile title a UK fighter has ever held, that's pretty cool and im glad he got the nod against Newton. I scored it 49-45 for McGeary (gave him a 10-8 round in the first), i just felt that despite being on his back for the most part he was the only one ever looking to finish the fight, he was outstriking Newton from the bottom as well as throwing up multiple submission attempts.

I'm not sure whether the fact that Newton escaped so many submission attempts is a credit to Newton or just shows that McGeary needs to tighten up his shit? regardless McGeary goes for it and i love to see that in a fighter. The right fighters won.

* Daley/Santos was a bit of a war. The Brazilian guy had balls for days, he took heavy shots, was busted up and continued throwing shit back, he even wobbled Daley on a few occasions. Cracking scrap and I hope Daley fights on a more regular basis and gets that Lima fight sorted.

* Vassell/Sokodjou was unspectacular but was a solid win for Vassell who could develop into a real handful at 205, massive guy. Brennan Ward is always great to watch, smashed it then called out Michael Page, i love the sound of that.

Great to see McGeary win the belt. A very fun fight too. One of my favourites fights of the year so far. Had no idea what the judges were going to do. But Liam deserved the decision. Just so active off of his back. Definitely been one of my favourites to watch recently.

Although it wasn't pretty and wasn't exciting at all. I actually thought King Mo's performance was impressive and very smart. He was fighting aa guy that was vastly bigger and just completely shut him down and just ran down Kongo's gas tank. Kongo could barely stand up at the end there. With Newton losing he could be back in line to eventually get another LHW shot. But I'd like to see him take his 'moneyweight' experiment down to MW too. Could be a force there too. Also...still can't get over that it was a split decision and one of the judges scored it to Kongo. Really not sure what he was watching!

Enjoyed the Invicta event too. Grasso and Aldana impressing yet again. Only a matter of time before they sign with UFC im sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bellator 135 is this Friday.

Bellator135.png

Here's the card:

(Bantamweight Title Fight) Joe Warren© vs. Marcos Galvao
L.C. Davis vs. Hideo Tokoro
Francis Carmont vs. Guilherme Viana     
Dakota Cochrane vs. Ryan Couture     

Prelims

Alejandro Villalobos vs. Emmanuel Sanchez     
Rashad Coulter vs. Jeremiah O'Neal     
Sean Holden vs. Tim Roman     
Neal Ewing vs. Logan Nail     
Stephen Banaszak vs. Brad Mitchell     
Klayton Mai vs. Xavier Siller     
J.P. Cole vs. Geo Pacurariu

I've enjoyed the last two Bellator shows enough that I'm up for all their future cards now, especially when there's no UFC on the same weekend. Who should I be looking out for on this card / what's the quality of this card looking like? I know Ryan Couture as the son of Randy and I recognise Carmont from his time in the UFC, but that's about it!

Also, are the Bellator marketing guys short on poster ideas:

poster_Comp.png

:p