The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

amon-ama.jpg

After getting their performance cut short at Download 2013 due to timing issues (4 songs, 20minutes hardly even seems worth turning up for), Amon Amarth return with their 9th studio album 'Deceiver Of The Gods', coming a mere 2 years since its predecessor (2011's 'Sutur Rising').

AA are one of those bands that took a while to find their feet, having taken a more direct death metal approach before a slower yet heavier sound on their forth album (2002's 'Versus The World'), and it is since then that they have been at the forefront of the viking metal scene. the genre is a difficult one to pull off without coming across as plain daft. For every band who simply tackles the genre as subject matter (Bathory's 'Blood On Ice' from 1989/released in 1996) you get a full on group who act like they were frozen in time (Turisas)

What lends AA a degree of credibility is the fact that, yes they are singing songs about vikings, demons and norse mythology, yet they don't go full-throttle with the viking shtick. Yes, they have a fucking cool viking boat as part of their stage-show, but they don't insist on only drinking mead and eating large mutton joints.

And it is with that which makes this band stand out. At the end of the day they are a straight up out and out metal band who have their hands in both jars. While the title track has a familiar sounding viking-style melody, 'Father Of The Wolf' has similar guitar riffs akin to Killswitch Engage, all the while Johan Hegg has enough melody in it to not take away any machismo from his growl. It helps that he completely looks the part without resorting to wearing animal skins and all that kind of shit.

'Deciever Of The Gods' as an album is not a ground breaking piece of work, its not going to do anything to change the niche genre on any kind of dramatic scale. But it is very enjoyable for anyone looking to simply have something loud, fast and heavy ('Blood Eagle') but that also has clear melody to it ('We Shall Destroy'). Messiah Marcolin (ex-Candlemass) guests on 'Hel' a mixture of both the loud/heavy and melodic, while the album closes with the 8 minute 'Warriors Of The North'.

The sepcial edition of the album comes with a bonus covers EP (entilted 'Under The Influence) featuring covers of Judas Priest ('Burning Anvil Of Steel'), Black Sabbath ('Satan Rising'), Motorhead ('Snake Eyes') and AC/DC ('Stand Up To Go Down')

7/10

Vote for DL2014 headliners:

Aerosmith,

Avenged Sevenfold, Black Sabbath, Blink 182, Eminem, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Guns N Roses, Jay-Z, KISS, Linkin Park, Metallica, Muse, Nickelback, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, Rush, Tool, Van Halen.

Currently leading the way are: Avenged Sevenfold, Foo Fighters and Rage Against The Machine

• Paid Members
The new Deafheaven album is streaming on Pitchfork, some really solid and uplifting "Hipster Black Metal" as the lovers and haters both call this style lately.

http://pitchfork.com/advance/120-sunbather/

i bought this off the back of the article i read about the band in this month's Terrorizer, i'm new to this kind of stuff but it interests me and this album is fucking stunning. I've been spinning it in the car coming home in the cool summer evening's and it's just crushes, it's like nasty black metal given a positive-uplifting makeover, i've never heard anything like it but i love it.