MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

Ken Shamrock vs Tank Abbot is always seen as the one that got away, they have never liked each other either.

Arlovski is a odd one, he is a good boxer and I felt he was giving Fedor fits before he got knocked out, however some contend Fedor was slipping a lot of Arlovski's offense and TV did not reflect that as well as it should.

His chin has always been weak, I mean the Fedor shot would have put down a horse but that little hook that Sylvia caught him with in their second fight proved it is very weak. I had him earmarked for greatness in 2006 but as time went on he never panned out as great as I thought, after Roach stop training him and the Fedor fight his career has never recovered.

I am still interested in him and Sylvia though, it is forgotten with how shite the 3rd fight is that the first two were very short but exciting fights.

Just because it's bloody great, and I still miss Pride.

So do I, they played that video before the last NYE show they did which was a belter of a show.

In many ways that was there last proper show on home soil. The last show in April they did had little star power and Jeff Monson vs Fujita was not a worthy way for Pride to end. I do love this video they played before the last show though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7QM-a9VD4A

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I love that video Magnum posted. That's on a few of the official DVDs but they edited the sound on some of the later releases and put some crap stock music over it.

Don't recall ever seeing that second video Jim. I've got the Pride 34 DVD but they might have left it off. Shame because as you said it wasn't much of a show, that video would have been the best thing on it. Well that and the legendary Frye/Thompson staredown.

I think they left it of due to royalties and copyright due to it being a Ramones song covered by Kiss.

The version I got was the US PPV, which featured that tosser Bas Rutten hates, Jerry Millen I think his name is talking for 30 mins before the fights start, worse still in the background you could see/hear fights they did not intend to air like the Butterbean fight taking place as he was talking from the balcony, it was a shambles of a presentation and show.

They wanted Wanderlai vs Sakuraba and amazingly Wand vs Shogun and Wand vs a returning Igor were rumored, instead we got Gilbert Yvel vs a welterweight and Don Frye getting brain damage.

• Paid Members

Jerry Millen is a bellend. You very rarely hear Bas slag anyone off but he can't stand Millen. That speaks volumes. Millen always came off as a right arrogant prat anyway but if Bas says he's a twat then that just confirms that he is.

Best of it was he tried to argue back with Bas. You NEVER hear a bad word about Bas and this cockhead expects us to believe him over El Guapo?

They wanted Wanderlai vs Sakuraba and amazingly Wand vs Shogun and Wand vs a returning Igor were rumored, instead we got Gilbert Yvel vs a welterweight and Don Frye getting brain damage.

They were trying to do Wandy vs Shogun for Pride 34? Fuck, I never heard that. I always thought the 2005 GP was the only time that nearly happened. Would have been a great way for Pride to go out. Would have been on the fence with my support in that one though.

Wand vs Igor would have been a crazy fight. Igor retired after the 2005 GP though didn't he?

Igor did but they wanted him and Wand for the last show

http://www.mmaweekly.com/wanderlei-vs-vovc...n-at-pride-34-2

MMAWeekly.com

"The Chute Boxe USA official website is saying that Wanderlei Silva is set to fight Igor Vovchanchyn this weekend at Pride 34. Although Pride’s official website (the Japanese version) does list Wanderlei Silva as a participant, Pride has not yet announced the fight.

One stumbling block could be Silva’s suspension in Nevada. Following his knockout loss at the hands of Dan Henderson in February, he was medically suspended until April 11, 2007 due to damage sustained in the fight. Silva can be cleared to fight this weekend if he goes through the proper medical clearance procedures set forth by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and there is still time for that to get done."

Oh and I got it wrong sorry, I found the rumor from years back, the headline is misleading Shogun and Wanderlai were to fight other people not each other.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/shogun-wa...te-pics-531522/

Sakuraba really wanted to fight Wand again though, it seems Wand could not get cleared in time

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Thanks for that. So Wandy vs Igor is another Pride fight that got away.

*Wandy vs Igor (Pride 34)

*Wandy vs Bas (Dynamite 2002)

*Shogun vs Hendo - the Pride version (was meant to happen sometime after Hendo flattened Wandy)

*Wandy vs Chuck - the Pride version (2003 GP)

*Fedor vs Cro Cop 2 (late 2006)

*Wandy vs Shogun (2005 GP)

*Fedor vs Shogun (Don't think it was actually planned but if Shogun beat Coleman at Pride 31 we realistically could have got this for Pride 32 instead of Fedor vs Coleman 2)

*Wandy vs Big Nog (Would've been the 2006 GP finals if they both won in the semis)

*Big Nog vs Cro Cop 2 or Wandy vs Barnett (Also could have been the 2006 GP final)

*Nick Diaz vs anyone (often wondered what Diaz's future in Pride would've been had Pride survived. With Pride's disregard for weight classes we could have even got Diaz vs Wandy or Hendo)

All them fights escaped us.

So yeah, as awesome as Pride was it could have been even awesomer.

*Fedor vs Shogun (Don't think it was actually planned but if Shogun beat Coleman at Pride 31 we realistically could have got this for Pride 32 instead of Fedor vs Coleman 2)

They actually tried making that for NYE 2006 if you believe the rumor, the third post down indicated that Shogun himself said talks took place

http://www.mmanews.com/forums/general-mma-...-years-eve.html

At the time Pride brought in Coleman to lose to Shogun and it went tits up as we know, I think they even wanted it to happen in late summer on the same card as the final of the OpenWeight GP like they had Cro Cop vs Fedor the year before.

This benefited both Pride and Chute Boxe, as it avoided a conflict between Rua and Wand with the Middleweight belt and it allowed a new challenger for Fedor after he had beaten everyone else pretty much at this stage. As Barnett had not yet won the fights needed to get a shot as of the start of 2006.