MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

How did the WEC buyout go down? Did they get anyone when EliteXC crumbled I can't remember?

I think they mainly bought WEC to stop the IFL from getting a TV deal with Versus, they were exclusive to Spike for Cable TV anyway (they could have gotten on Network TV or Premium Cable like HBO)

• Paid Members

The team concept had that Marmite quality where people were split on the idea. I quite liked it myself, for it's originality if nowt else. The IFL was a decent mix of veterans and young talent and guys like Ellenberger got some exposure there.

It wasn't the the best executed concept but it was a ballsy idea for them to try something different I suppose.

They had some cracking fights too which have been largely forgotten sadly. The smaller guys like Chris Horodecki, Bart Palaszewski, Ryan Schultz etc put on some really fun fights.

If you've not seen it try to track down Chris Horodecki, vs Shad Lierly. Fantastic stuff. And despite any faults and mistakes they made, the IFL got Bas and Renzo on screen again. IFL is alright by me.

If there was one promotion that got a shit-load of coverage but I never got into it, it was the IFL.

ITV4 even aired some shows for a brief period in late 2007.

I remember that

I turned it on and Bas Rutten was leeching at some women who were auditioning to be ring girls. I never watched again.

Yeah Bas is awesome

Funnily enough last night I was flicking channels and MMA's real bald headed twat, David O'Donnel was leeching at a supermodel. It must have been a old episode of Cage Fighter or something, there is 10 seconds that will scar me for life.

• Paid Members

I'm off to bed in a bit and O'Donnell doing the Dirty Den line is a visual I will struggle to shake when I try to sleep now. Thanks Jim.

Just seeing that pic will be enough to disturb my sleep. He looks like a wax dummy of Dominic Littlewood that's been left outside on a hot day for too long.

:laugh:

Sweet Dreams

I do remember the days of waking up on a Sunday morning and watching Cage Rage from the night before with him shouting like a lunatic, it was at the stage where I would try and watch most MMA available, Gary Turner vs Tank Abbot and Buzz Berry vs Ken Shamrock are main events I would like to forget.

• Paid Members

Jesus, why did I click the link? I somehow got past the drunk bints singing 'Appy Birfday' but couldn't get through 2 more minutes. Seeing O'Donnell dancing was enough. If bollocks had faces they'd all look like Dave O'Donnell, except mine of course.