DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

I don't think so. I'm not quite sure how you can have trouble with the casting of Mel Gibson on one hand and not with Mike Tyson on the other hand?

Well he certainly would've had more power to do something in Hangover 2 (threatening to walk works much better if you're established) - but wasn't Mike Tyson in Hangover 2 too (I've not seen it, don't care to)? Guessing it was a matter of being able to do something about one and not being able to affect the other

• Paid Members
I think he's definitely hypocritical, especially as he doesn't really have to do these films as presumably he is absolutely minted as a result of them. If he's aware of issues regarding some of the casting in the films as well, then he's doubly hypocritical.

I don't think it's hypocritical - one of the main things actors have to accept about their careers is that it's inevitable they'll have to do stuff they don't like, just to make some money and to keep a public profile, which is critical.

Especially as you have no idea how long your window of fame is going to last. Many people build a career with the idea that you continue to earn more money as time goes on. Fame being incredibly fickle means you potentially may have a 2 - 3 year period that you can command big money and then it's back to mostly doing standup and the occasional guest role in a sitcom.

• Paid Members
Due to getting Netflix and having nothing to do, I watched Iron Man 2.

It's pretty shit, really, isn't it.

Stop trying to get over with the comic book nerds and watch Martha Marcy May Marlene :angry:

Stop trying to get over with the comic book nerds and watch Martha Marcy May Marlene :angry:

Fuck, forgot all about that, sorry.

• Paid Members

I like it, I don't know why Mickey Rourke has been so openly disappointed in his role in it, I thought he had plenty to do and was a real presence onscreen. the only bit I didn't like was Gwyneth Paltrow's character changing so drastically and I hated SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

the weird part with the hidden code for making a new element or whatever it was.

Also I think replacing Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle was awful, they're the 2 least alike looking black men on the planet.

• Paid Members

And Don Cheadle is also really really unlikeable in it while Terrence Howard was pretty alright in the first one. Yeah Iron Man 2 is shit though. The fight at the party is just the most pointless dull thing ever. Mickey Rourke is pretty much the only thing I enjoyed.

• Paid Members

Had you even watched Iron Man 1, Keith?

By the way, probably belongs in the news thread but fuck it, you're a fan of Das Experiment, aren't you? Its director, Oliver Hirschbiegel, is directing a biography about Princess Diana with Naomi Watts playing her:-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1758595/

Edited by Gladstone Small

Yeah, I agree about Rourke, he did have an aura about him. Did his guy have a Superhero Villain name? If they said it, I didn't catch it.

EDIT - Gladders, yeah I saw the first one, thought it was acceptable Sunday throwaway fluff (That should have been on the poster). Cheers for the Diana news. I await The Daily Express review.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
Your taste in films matches your tastes in shirts and suits.

Thanks!

I couldn't root for Tony Stark, as I thought he was a wanker. I guess that's the point though.

Yeah, that's about right. Plus, it's RDJ - he's playing himself really, and as himself he's quite likable, so he's not really the Tony Stark from the comics, who isn't really all that charming, I find.

• Paid Members
Yeah, I agree about Rourke, he did have an aura about him. Did his guy have a Superhero Villain name? If they said it, I didn't catch it.

He's supposed to be Whiplash. But a lot of modern superhero movies don't seem to be in the habit of assigning titles any more - I suppose it's because, in real life, who's responsible for assigning them?