DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Went to see Killer Joe last week. Matthew McConaghuey (sp?) is fantastic in it, proving yet again that if he stayed away from leaning against Kate Hudson on rom-com posters and concentrated on proper roles, he'd be a lot more acclaimed. I don't think you can call this a particularly "enjoyable" film, given how dark and unforgiving it winds up being. It's based on a play and it definitely shows, especially when the last act calls for a pretty fucked up implosion. Strong work from Juno Temple too.

• Paid Members

I loved The Expendables 2. The soundtrack throughout is belting. Dion and the Belmonts, Little Richard and Al Green were playing more often than not. It went really well with the motorbikes, large knives and the bullets in the neck. I'm sure my chest wasn't this hairy before I watched it. Its so testosterone fueled. I preferred it to the first one. Its just none stop. Loved it.

Once Were Warriors (Last Night) was such a brilliant movie with such a deep lying story of one mans destruction and the history of the Maori well worth the watch, gonna watch "What becomes of the Broken Hearted" tonight so hopefully this sequel is good as good as the first :)

• Paid Members

Once Were Warriors is indeed ace. As for What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It's not too bad, but like most sequels it suffers from following a superior film. If I remember right, with the exception of Jake and Sonny, the family members are almost reduced to bit-parts. It also ends rather suddenly.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Watched Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas last night, thought it was utterly dreadful. It probably works on some sort of artistic level, but as a watchable film it's a total failure. I like a lot of films where nothing really happens, this wasn't one of them. The two characters seemed not only repelling and uninteresting, but plain fake and unbelievable. Just seemed like Depp trying to hammy it up as much as he could.

Well i did watch What Becomes of the Broken Hearted last night, and although it wasnt really really that good of a sequel it was good to see the some of the original cast, the boar hunting scene was really funny also and i agree the ending was just meh, but Temura is Menacing as he is in the original

God Bless America - I agree with the review from a while back. Was decent, but nothing more. The monologues scattered throughout the movie are awful, particularly the one in the office at the start. Talking about how things like reality shows are killing society was old hat 5 years ago, making the closing speech a really poor way to end the film. It was essentially Gervais' rant at the end of Extras.

There was good chemisty between the man and girl, and with the exception of that Alice Cooper scene (which was terrible), pretty much all of their scenes were good. I agree that the girl was too much like Juno, though, which made the Juno diss a little strange. Considering the topic of the film is completley unoriginal, it managed to be over the top and silly enough for it to work. Even with the monologues, it moved along at a nice pace, too, which helped.

Watched Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas last night, thought it was utterly dreadful. It probably works on some sort of artistic level, but as a watchable film it's a total failure. I like a lot of films where nothing really happens, this wasn't one of them. The two characters seemed not only repelling and uninteresting, but plain fake and unbelievable. Just seemed like Depp trying to hammy it up as much as he could.

One might argue it's an unfilmable novel, though they gave it a damn good try. See also, Naked Lunch.

• Paid Members

What Loki said. They tried to make Fear & Loathing a bunch of times, Alex Cox came close but it was always deemed unfilmable. It's one of my favourite books so I might not be the most objective voice but I think they did a pretty good job of translating Hunter Thompson's ramblings into a (semi) coherent narrative. Funny you thought Depp seemed unbelievable June? He actually lived with Hunter Thompson for a month or so ahead of filming, everyone close to Thompson said he absolutely nailed his mannerisms etc..

• Paid Members

Expendables 2. Completely ridiculous and utterly non-realistic but that's the point. I loved it.

The Campaign. Was alright, tried too hard to be funny and I can't stand Zack Galifianakis. Or Will Ferrell for that matter. We had free tickets, I definitely would not have paid to see it.

Edited by Stephanie

• Paid Members

Watched Expendables 2 last night. I absolutely loved it. It was just all go from the start with great action scenes, funny lines with nods to the casts' pasts, with Van Damme and Dolph being frigging amazing. If you liked the first one you'll love this.

Expendables 2. Completely ridiculous and utterly non-realistic but that's the point. I loved it.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Agreed on the non-realistic part.. I mean, who the hell would able to capture Arnie like they did at the start?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Speaking of The Campaign, anyone know why UK are getting it 7 weeks after US?