DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
pat, what's your issue with 15 cuts in a minute? Are you suggesting that's too many or not enough?

Too many, it was not needed and it was to the detriment of the script. So they had to establish Donnie could shoot, for later on, when he kills Frank, but the close up of the bottle smashing was utterly unnecessary and a reverse shot from behind the Bottle showing Donnie taking the shot would have relayed it better. The distance and accuracy needed for the shot, would have been more illustrative, rather than going close up of the bottle smashing which was just a 'money shot' and other than looking cool serving little purpose.

The squib could have been used just as effectively using the above set up and would have got the message across that Donnie was a crack shot, it didnt need to be up close and personal with the bottle, to hammer home the point. Later when Donnie shot Drank, you didnt see him getting shot, just Donnie firing and then a cut to Frank,dead, having being shot in the Face/Eye. That still conveyed the message that Frank was dead, despite the other 40 or so other different cuts for the scene, but you didnt need to see it actually was happened in close up to see that it had happened.

A group shot, a little to right and then zooming in or, using over the shoulder shots would have also conveyed the same message, in the smurf scene without taking away from the script, nor stopping showing Donnie as a crack shot or having fun with his friends, but thats just me

Fucking hell. Watching a film with you must be a right laugh, Pat.

Recently sat through the following other classics the past few nights:

Silent Night Deadly Night (Classic 80s Horror)

My Bloody Valentine (Original)

Silent Scream

The Prowler

Final Exam

The Madman

All well worth watching Horror movies

• Paid Members

Tried to watch the prequel/remake of the Thing last night. I fell asleep during it and I never fall asleep during films. Shit CGI, bland characters and no suspense.

I like JFK, its not real, its how Oliver Stone sees the world, has some cracking performances from an all time great cast and both versions of it are good films

Edited by chokeout

We were out for dinner last night and at a loose end when we got in so decided to watch 'The Thing' after it popped up on the trackers. Having not seen the original i didn't know what to expect. It was OK but by christ the characters weren't half one dimensional.

I had a couple of questions i wondered if someone could clear up? I will spoiler tag them in case the usual pedants get their feathers ruffled.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I couldn't quite grasp how parasite moved from body to body. Maybe it was mentioned or plainly obvious and i wasn't concentrating but i was scratching my head at the helicopter bit. The dude who found the creature initially after it broke from the ice cube was impaled by it's tentacle and then swallowed; no problems there. However his chum who was behind him and survived, bar a little splattering of guts over his face, was then to be airlifted away to the hospital. Now i was assuming something would happen in this scene but i was at a loss to explain why it wasn't HIM who was infected and turned into the creature when instead it was the other random punter on the copter......

Ditto with the girl with the long black hair who had to leave during the initial autopsy of the creature ? How did she become infected as i thought that she, in addition to the dude on the helicopter, had no contact with the parasite OR the body it had moved onto in the autopsy room?

:duh:

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

• Paid Members
Tried to watch the prequel/remake of the Thing last night. I fell asleep during it and I never fall asleep during films. Shit CGI, bland characters and no suspense.

I like JFK, its not real, its how Oliver Stone sees the world, has some cracking performances from an all time great cast and both versions of it are good films

CGI? I had heard that they were doing physical fx for the remake.

Gutted :(