DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

On the subject of Video Nasties, my Mum always goes on about how when she was a kid her Uncle brought a video home to watch with her Dad and it she caught a peek of it.

She says it was all these men sat round a table, and they lopped the top of monkey's heads off like a boiled egg and ate their brains.

She talks like it was a documentary or real footage (or made to look to be).

Any ideas you lot?

I

Watched The Frighteners for the first time ages the other night.

Other than some of the CGI being a bit ropey 15 years on, especially the carpet stuff. Its still a pretty decent film all round. Nice premise, mixing horror and comedy and flows well.

Michael J Fox gives a good performance, that is away from the normal and I liked some of the nods whilst driving whether intentional or not to Doc Hollywood. The support works well with a mix of established stars and relative unknowns and the whole thing is quite a joy to behold

Its by no means perfect with some plot anomalies and some underwritten characters like the News Paper Editor but it gets the thumbs up here

• Paid Members
On the subject of Video Nasties, my Mum always goes on about how when she was a kid her Uncle brought a video home to watch with her Dad and it she caught a peek of it.

She says it was all these men sat round a table, and they lopped the top of monkey's heads off like a boiled egg and ate their brains.

She talks like it was a documentary or real footage (or made to look to be).

Any ideas you lot?

I

• Paid Members
When was this Faces of Death thing made then? Because my Mum says she saw it as a kid, which would have been some time in the 70's.

The original one was knocked out in the late 70s. It could well be that film as well.

Watched The Frighteners for the first time ages the other night.

Other than some of the CGI being a bit ropey 15 years on, especially the carpet stuff. Its still a pretty decent film all round. Nice premise, mixing horror and comedy and flows well.

I tried watching the directors cut of this a week or so ago with my daughter.

Unfortunently its difficult to watch the first time as nothing really happens for the first 45 minutes or so and although I knew it was a damn fine film she was pretty bored and gave up after 35 minutes (even with my pleads to keep watching!)

But yes give it a shot, as stated it has dated due to CGI but the plot is pretty sick once you get into it.

• Paid Members

OK, The new Three Musketeers film is out tomorrow. On the one hand, it's a W.S. Anderson Film (with the missus as the female lead), on the other it's his first film that's actually a 'family' film, it's an adaptation of 'proper' material and it looks to be the most polished production that doesn't rely on one particular person to carry it since Event Horizon. It's been out out in Germany already and Rotten Tomatoes have it as 28% from critics, 68% from the audience.

Being a man of low taste (I enjoyed RE:Afterlife, kiss it) I'll give it a shot.

• Paid Members

I love a good cheesy action film but Paul W S Anderson + Zepplins means no matter how much I love Musketeer films I'll be avoiding that film like the plague. Also his obsession with casting his wife in films pisses me right off

Next year, HBO Home Entertainment will release Boardwalk Empire: The Complete First Season on Blu-ray. The critically acclaimed and Emmy Award-winning series stars Steve Buscemi (Fargo) as Nucky Thompson, the real-life figure who ruled Prohibition-era Atlantic City's criminal and political underworld.

Throughout this first season, Thompson encounters a diverse cast of characters given life by such esteemed performers as Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road), Michael Pitt (Funny Games), Kelly Macdonald (Trainspotting), Michael Stuhlbarg (A Serious Man), Shea Whigham (The Lincoln Lawyer), Stephen Graham (Gangs of New York), Paz de la Huerta (Enter the Void), Gretchen Mol (Rounders), Dabney Coleman (Domino), and Michael Kenneth Williams (HBO's The Wire).

HBO's long-awaited five-disc Blu-ray set presents all 12 episodes of Season One in their original broadcast aspect ratio of 1.78:1 with 5.1 DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 audio tracks.

The collection also includes a number of bonus features, such as:

Enhanced Viewing option on all episodes

Six audio commentaries

Evolving Character Dossier feature

Making Boardwalk Empire featurette

Speakeasy Tour featurette

Boardwalk Empire: The Complete First Season streets on January 10th, 2012. Pre-orders are now available on Amazon.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7507

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members
I love a good cheesy action film but Paul W S Anderson + Zepplins means no matter how much I love Musketeer films I'll be avoiding that film like the plague. Also his obsession with casting his wife in films pisses me right off

That would be much more annoying if she only did his films, which thankfully she isn't even with raising his child.

On the upside we also get Christoph Waltz and Mads Mikkelsen, and Orlando Bloom gets to be deliberately dickish for a change. It'll be interesting at least.