DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Watched all of OZ.

Great show, superb characters.

oh andSPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Beecher is a fucking idiot!!! He got Paroled, he should have took whatever was left of his family and gotten as far away from Oz as legally possible! But he kept going back and ended up getting fucked. Daft tawt.

Watched Hot Tub Time Machine the other night

Had a very 'American Pie' vibe about it I thought despite the time travelling conundrums as there was a rites of passage to be done, with some gross out humour and sex thrown in. Though you could say that about a zillion and one other teen comedies

Really enjoyed it, though the ending was spot-able a million miles off.

Chevy Chase looks fucking old :( and it took me a fucking age to realise who the Bell Hop/Conciege was Oops

Halfway through S2 of BSG now and it's been mostly a hit for me with only Final Cut being crap and Epiphanies being pretty "meh" though it did have Sharon violently head butting her cage which was pretty cool (note never tell a pregnent Cylon your going to abort her unborn child) but seriously the sooner I forget the "miracle cure" the better.

High points for were were the Pegasus (extended) and Resurrection Ship triple header.

EDIT

Other then a few plot threads S3 (on episode 5) is a bit pants so far and it's trying too hard to be "grey" for it's own good imo and I really don't understand why so much of the fanbase seems to have a collective hard on for Saul.

The political side of the series is also getting pretty gash.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• Paid Members

Anybody wanting a proper science fiction film that tells a good story at a good pace and isn't afraid to be intelligent and slow-building needs to check out The Andromeda Strain.

I watched it again last night, probably about the third or fourth time I've seen it, and it really is an incredible film. It reminds me of All The President's Men in that it isn't really a thriller at all, but you feel completely on edge all the way through because the storyline is so tight and gripping. It's one of the most underrated sci-fi films of all time and I think, watching it again, it could even have afforded to have been longer than its 2 hours running time.

9/10

Problem is, Gladstone, you can't get a decent copy on DVD. The only version out there is a cheap, edited version. I've been after it for years as there are some cracking samples in there.

• Paid Members
Problem is, Gladstone, you can't get a decent copy on DVD. The only version out there is a cheap, edited version. I've been after it for years as there are some cracking samples in there.

I got the 2008 region 1 special edition. The transfer on it is excellent, the release before that was shit quality. I think both versions are still available

Are you sure? They released a remake in 2008, but not the original. At least, I can't find a mention of it anywhere on the net....

• Paid Members
Are you sure? They released a remake in 2008, but not the original. At least, I can't find a mention of it anywhere on the net....

The remake was the mini series wasnt it? If i remember right the original was a vanillia disc, the re-release has the making of and a mini bit on Crichtons other work. When did you see the version you watched?

I watched in on BBC2 about 15 years ago, and taped it onto VHS. I can see the shitty DVD from about 2005, and some tv series or pilot for one from 2008.

I can find a Region 1 DVD from 1998, but no info on it. It has a decent looking cover at least. Amazon, being the shitarse site that it is, amalgamates the reviews for both this and the 2005 DVD, so I'm not really sure what is what.

• Paid Members
I watched in on BBC2 about 15 years ago, and taped it onto VHS. I can see the shitty DVD from about 2005, and some tv series or pilot for one from 2008.

I can find a Region 1 DVD from 1998, but no info on it. It has a decent looking cover at least. Amazon, being the shitarse site that it is, amalgamates the reviews for both this and the 2005 DVD, so I'm not really sure what is what.

Is this the 1998 one:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andromeda-Strain-D...1403&sr=8-9

Great film, but possibly not worth

I've always been amazed nobody's got round to it - much less famous films have had multiple DVDs. The one that's readily available on Amazon apparently has the ticker tape title moments edited out and replaced by cheap subtitles to make localisation easier. I mean... that's like the fucking massive foreshadowing of the ending they just cut out! Stupid, stupid, stupid.