DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
Don't know if it's any good or not, but I thought I'd mention that the Steve Austin film "Damage" gets its first showing tonight on Sky Premiere at 10pm.

"The Condemned" was on Ch5 last night or the night before. Didn't bother watching it because I missed the first 40 minutes.

• Paid Members

Just watched the original The Crazies and my advice to anyone considering doing the same is that you would find more entertainment trying to drown yourself. It really was as boring as fuck - none of the characters were interesting, the plot made absolutely no sense, the film didn't seem to know if it was about people trying to escape or trying to find a cure for this disease or what. Completely fucking dreadful. Not a good start to horror DVD month round at Gladstone Glade.

2/10.

• Paid Members

Day: Yesterday

Time: Evening

Company: The good lady and I

Film: Resident Evil: Extinction

Rating: 2.5 stars

Comments: The low point of the series, however a necessary evil (pun intended) before going to see the fourth one again as now the good lady is up to date.

I watched The Ex the other day, because I love Jason Bateman. Like Oaktree500s review of Mr Woodcock really. You can see Jason Batemans character is a massive bellend and Zach Braffs good guy but no one can se it.

The story is Zach Braff can't keep a job and his wife gives birth at the start of the film. So he goes to his father in law for a job in his marketing firm, and ends up working with his wife's ex boyfriend who happens to be in a wheelchair and still obessed with her. Funny stuff ensues. I liked it, better than I expected really so it's worth watching, I think ITV3 have been showing it recently.

RepoMen

Set in the not too distant future, a medical corporation builds and implants body replacement parts, from hearts to lungs, ears to eyes. they have developed a mechanical replacement for all. So people just pop in and buy what they need, new kidney, new liver, whatever. Unfortunently some cant afford the repayment for these parts. So the Repomen are called in to reclaim what they cant afford.

Jude Law is one of the best RepoMen. That is until he gets a heart transplant. Then realises he cant make the payments.

Its actually quite a good film. I enjoyed it. It flopped at the boxoffice and I understand why. Its a dark grainy film. Too much random gore for the mainstream public, especially in the medical sense (random gore hits the spot but medical is too much obviously). And unless you like Jude as a main character hes probably going to annoy the hell out of you.

But I quite enjoyed it.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The ending I did see coming but having it come from the mid point rather than the start point was a nice dark twist.

And what an arsehole Jude`s character is. I personally would have busted the Vulture in the head and took back all the implants rather than hanging around trying to escape.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Add me to the list of people tempted to part with a quid for WΔZ from Poundland.

You know what you're going to get from this when it describes itself as a cross between Se7en and Saw - gruesome murders, depressing urban settings and gruff cops. And that's what you get. The novelty of seeing Paul Kaye in a serious film and Angel from Home & Away playing a homicide detective (reasonably well) is quite fun, but Stellan Skarsgaard's gravel-voiced performance is something that he really is far better than, whilst some of the dialogue was absolutely dreadful.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Plus, Selma Blair as a serial killer? Miscasting of the highest order.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Depressing, predictable, well shot, but I think

Knocked Up

You know, this was actually pretty good. The cross-fertilization of slacker comedy with romcom could have been awful, but the saving grace was that the characters were all pretty likeable and well-written. Ok, it's unlikely that a girl that fit would fall in love with a big wobbly fatbum like him, but... girls, eh?

Ridiculous, appalling dialogue, wafer-thin characters, hilarious accents, directed by an MTV video editor with severe sleep deprivation and an art director whose copy of After Effects only does red. I loved it. Just at the point that I really started to get sick of the style, bang - it was over.

I watched Tormented last night. British teen horror about a bunch of hateworthy sixth formers who bully a fat kid until he kills himself, then he comes back as a zombie and kills them (and texts them all the time). It was rubbish.

Edited by Pityinthecityofsin

• Paid Members

went to see Back To The Future at the cinema tonight, very cool to see it back on the big screen the movie looks and sounds great! If you're a fan, do yourselves a favour and go check it out.

• Paid Members
I watched Tormented last night. British teen horror about a bunch of hateworthy sixth formers who bully a fat kid until he kills himself, then he comes back as a zombie and kills them (and texts them all the time). It was rubbish.

Shame, 'cos the idea sounds great.

*Beep beep beep*

"Braaaaiiiinnnsss!!!"

went to see Back To The Future at the cinema tonight, very cool to see it back on the big screen the movie looks and sounds great! If you're a fan, do yourselves a favour and go check it out.

I'm in two minds about this. I can't go recreate the original feeling because my "classic" cinema is now a snooker club, and all the memories of going to the cinema being a bit of a big deal (it was an old theatre, so it had all swirly golden plaster work and red velvet seats) just doesn't happen anymore.

Watched a film today called Fanboys, its due for DVD release tomorrow IIRC correctly but D/L it from vuze.

Basically the story of a group of Star Wars fanboys who go on a road trip with the intention of breaking into George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch to see the rough cuts of Episode I before its general US release in 1998. Lots of very funny scenes, little cameos from Ray Parker (Darth Maul) and Carrie Fisher and some good scenes with a group of Star Trek fans who they have a running battle with.

Heres the trailer:

Clicky!!