DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Just going back to the Directors Cut discussion. There have only so far been 2 movies where I have noticed the cuts, and think they improve on an already good film. Those being Aliens and Terminator 2.

What other Directrs Cuts make a good-to-great film watchable for a second time (if your the kind of person who watches most films only once, like me)?

I have got the Directors Cut of Leon to watch, as its one of my favourite films of all time.

Let us all know what others are out there!

May not be on the same level, but the directors cut of daredevil is amazing. There is about an hour of stuff added onto the film, with a whole subplot involving Coolio (~) as a crimanl, showing all the court cases etc. As well as the love scence with electra is completely different, with also added swearing and all round awesomness.

Daredevil as a film = no, but the directors cut = yes yes.

Just going back to the Directors Cut discussion. There have only so far been 2 movies where I have noticed the cuts, and think they improve on an already good film. Those being Aliens and Terminator 2.

What other Directrs Cuts make a good-to-great film watchable for a second time (if your the kind of person who watches most films only once, like me)?

I have got the Directors Cut of Leon to watch, as its one of my favourite films of all time.

May not be on the same level, but the directors cut of daredevil is amazing. There is about an hour of stuff added onto the film, with a whole subplot involving Coolio (~) as a crimanl, showing all the court cases etc. As well as the love scence with electra is completely different, with also added swearing and all round awesomness.

Daredevil as a film = no, but the directors cut = yes yes.

Agree with you there, plus the directors cut has Coolio how can it be bad?

Dark City Directors Cut is a long way better than the original cut in my book!

The Firm - not much to say really other than, it's just another football hooligan film. I don't think it had the impact of other movies but it looked nice and for some reason i get a kick out of these kind of movies (as do a lot of other people). The film follows basic hooligan film themes, but i'd recommend it if you like this kind of thing. I need to get to watching the original TV movie now. Oh, and this was my second Nick Love film, it didnt offend me like his films does other people...although, after watching the making of. i kind of see why people hate him...just a loud mouthed, swearing cockney.

Completley disagree. Its an excellent Hooligan film as it doesn't look at the fights as much as how this boy is drawn into it and why. Reminded me of Goodbye Charlie Brights, Loves excellent debut film. I think Love has managed to avoid falling into the sort of shit gangster films that he could have. Bar Outlaw, his films are all enjoyable, very stylish with a superb attention to detail.

• Paid Members

Day: Yesterday

Time: Evening

Company: The good lady and I

Film: Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Rating: 3 stars

Comments: Another film I have watched many times. The special FX are better, but I don't think the film is as good as the first. It does, however incorporates more nods to the game for the geeks like me.

• Paid Members

Blade Runner - whilst not so much for additional footage - is noticably different on the Directors Cut. The fact that there's now 5 different versions of this in circulation don't help.

Alien 3 had a different ending, and a few other bits. If memory serves, there's additional scenes in the Directors Cut of Alien, even though it's been re-edited to a shorter overall run time.

Directors Cut of RoboCop has a few alternative versions of scenes. Nothing monumentally different in terms of plot (unlike the depth it added to Aliens), but noticable if you're familiar with how it normally looks. They actually swear in the Directors Cut too, airhead.

Not so much a Directors Cut, but the versions of Police Story 1 and 2 released in Asia have additional scenes, and a longer, even more awesome version of the bus stunt.

The Asian version of The Protector is massively, massively different to the US version. Not so much a Directors Cut as about 50% of the entire film was re-shot rather than just re-edited. As this version was only released in Asia, no English language version of it exists, even though it was originally shot in English. Mine has the option of either Cantonese or Mandarin, so I can choose how angry I want everyone to sound.

Directors Cut of RoboCop has a few alternative versions of scenes. Nothing monumentally different in terms of plot (unlike the depth it added to Aliens), but noticable if you're familiar with how it normally looks. They actually swear in the Directors Cut too, airhead.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The murphy shooting is incredibly graphic and over stretched but this was the point of the directors. He wanted you to feel so sorry for murphy you wanted him to die to stop the torture.

The ED209 killing is awsome. If you listen to the commentery the director mentions that they put as many blood bags in as they could find and it goes beyond brutal and comes out silly. Which was the whole point of the scene, unfortunently the censors didnt see it that way!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Certainly worth a look if you like complete films, and the trilogy box set is like

Watched Machete last night and it was fucking awesome

Oh man, so envious, I cannot wait to see this.

I tried to watch it last night but the sound was corrupt. It was for the best anyway because I can now get Predators as well as a new download of Machete so tomorrow night will be both of those films and then MOTD. Testosterone filled evening!

On that tip, has anyone here seen Descent 2? Is it worth a watch?

Watched Part 1 and 2 on consecutive nights last week. Second part is very decent in terms of horror sequels, only minor gripe is after two whole installments there is absolutely nothing hinting towards explaining the background of the creatures.

• Paid Members

Watched MacGruber last night.

I thought it was absolutely hilarious (so did my brother) It's basically a Macgyver parody done by the Saturday Night Live team, I watched all the original sketches from SNL first (each one is only 30 seconds long) to give me a feel for the character and I'm really glad I did because I felt more 'in on the joke' it still would've been hilarious without it though. You may remember him guest hosting RAW in character as MacGruber, he accidentally blew up R-Truth.

First 10-15 minutes was a bit slow but when it picked up pace I was pissing myself til the end. MacGruber is truly a character without a single redeeming feature and that's part of what makes it so funny, Ryan Phillipe is a great straight man in it and Kristen Wiig is funny in it too (and I'm starting to think she's quite cute despite being pretty funny looking).

Watched Predators and Machete last night.

Predators I enjoyed. It had guns and it had 18 certificate Predators. Can't ask for more. I know there were a few plot holes and and a couple of 'what the fuck was that about' moments but it's certainly better than either of the AVP movies. The premise of the movie got me thinking, how awesome would Riddick Vs Predator be?

Machete. Is. Awesome. On so many levels. It's just non stop, over the top, cheesy, tongue in cheek, action awesomness.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The intestine bungy jump is probably the best scene I've ever seen in any film. So unexpected, so ridiculous and yet so brilliant.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I'll be watching it again soon with the missus.