General politics discussion thread

David

When we're being ruled by a military junta and haven't had free elections for 30 years?

I do think people can drastically overstate the issues this country has in comparison to others.

Christ knows there's alot I'd change, and christ knows none of the major parties come close to representing the policies I'd like to see enforced. But we do have a democratic process that allows the country as a whole a say. Which is quite a bit better than the state of affairs in egypt or syria currently, or indeed iraq and afghanistan previously.

But we do have a democratic process that allows the country as a whole a say.

Even when the three main parties are basically one & the same? We were getting the same shitty Government decisions regardless of who got into power at the last elections.

But we do have a democratic process that allows the country as a whole a say.

Even when the three main parties are basically one & the same? We were getting the same shitty Government decisions regardless of who got into power at the last elections.

Well putting aside the fact they're really not (as much as I disliked alot of what the tory lite version of the labour party did, I dislike the polices of the full on tories even more) that's (annoyingly) what the country chooses.

You and I would probably have some radical ideas about the change this country should have, but radical ideas don't go down well with voters. And as such don't happen. We have the parties that are most electable, and that's because people in this country as a whole are largely morons. So we get parties and policies that reflect that. Which is democracy in action, no matter how much we dislike it.

It may be democracy, but I certainly believe that it's manipulated by those in charge, and those who stand to make money from the various policies that our Governments put in place.

When you see how our system works, and the complete arse it's made of things in this part of the world it really isn't that difficult to see why so many in other parts of the world are suspicious of it and us.

Looks like people in Egypt have finally run out of patience and are now finding out the hard way who has really run their country all these years.

Forgive my shady knowledge on this. I know Mubarak's gone and now the military are running things, but do they have support from the US too?

It may be democracy, but I certainly believe that it's manipulated by those in charge, and those who stand to make money from the various policies that our Governments put in place.

When you see how our system works, and the complete arse it's made of things in this part of the world it really isn't that difficult to see why so many in other parts of the world are suspicious of it and us.

This. 100% this.

Our democracy works like this:

Vote for Capatalist Party A

or

Vote for Capatalist Party B

or

Waster Your Votez

Parties need funding. They get it from big business.

Who do these parties represent? The people who voted for them or those that backed them with the monies?

I just see the decisions they make and make my own mind up.

Oh, and Max Keiser is the fucking man.

Edited by aaron

That's not quite as suspicious as you make it sound mind, bearing in mind the vast majority of the country wants capitalism, you'd expect the two main parties to represent that.

Not that I agree with either mind, but I'm in a minority, and that's kinda the point. My politics are fringe and unpopular, therefore unrepresented, that is democracy. It's why the BNP and the communist party get nowhere, because no-one wants them.

• Paid Members
That's not quite as suspicious as you make it sound mind, bearing in mind the vast majority of the country wants capitalism, you'd expect the two main parties to represent that.

Not that I agree with either mind, but I'm in a minority, and that's kinda the point. My politics are fringe and unpopular, therefore unrepresented, that is democracy. It's why the BNP and the communist party get nowhere, because no-one wants them.

Spot on there - we rule by consensus, to a large degree. If a right wing party gets popular, it's because that's what people what, ditto for left wing. That's where Mickey's boys are wayyyy off - there MAY be creepy Islamisation, but that's because there's more Muslims in the UK than there was.

Fair enough aaron. Could you please give me a succinct definition of what a corporation is?

Oh, and it's Capitalist.

Edited by Loki

Bush, Blair found guilty of war crimes

A War Crimes Tribunal in Malaysia has found former US President George W. Bush and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair guilty of war crimes for their roles in the Iraq war, Press TV reports.

The five-panel Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Tribunal decided that Bush and Blair committed genocide and crimes against humanity by leading the invasion of Iraq in 2003, a Press TV correspondent reported on Tuesday.

In 2003, the US and Britain invaded Iraq in blatant violation of international law and under the pretext of finding weapons of mass destruction allegedly stockpiled by former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein.

The Malaysian tribunal judges ruled that the decision to wage war against Iraq by the two former heads of government was a flagrant abuse of law and an act of aggression that led to large-scale massacres of the Iraqi people.

Bombings and other forms of violence became commonplace in Iraq shortly after the US-led invasion of the country.

In their ruling, the tribunal judges also stated that the US, under the leadership of Bush, fabricated documents to make it appear that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction.

However, the world later learned that the former Iraqi regime did not possess WMDs and that the US and British leaders knew this all along.

Over one million Iraqis were killed during the invasion, according to the California-based investigative organization Project Censored.

The judges also said the court findings should be provided to signatories to the Rome Statute, which established the International Criminal Court, and added that the names of Bush and Blair should be listed on a war crimes register.

MAB/HGL

From Press TV

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/211590.html