General politics discussion thread

David

The legal system is hilarious sometimes.

Defence: M'lud, some of the key prosecution evidence appears to have been accidentally, er, lost. In light of this, our clients cannot have a fair trial and should therefore be found not guilty.

Judge: Good point, you're all free to go.

Just seen a clip on that on sky news saying it never happened, and that iranian tv made it up.

It may just be a sign of the times, but the day has come where I'm not sure if I should believe Sky News or Iranian TV.

That day came for me earlier this year. Hence my recent outspokenness on geopolitical matters.

Most of the news is just bought and paid for from Rueters, or Bloomberg. Murdoch being the only other real player.

It is said that in the US 25 years ago there were about 30 main players in the "News" business. Now there are just five.

George Orwell

• Moderators
Please ignore this post if you like to. I ignore many of yours.

Yeah...

That doesn't fly around here. We've had way too much of Duane's hit and run tinfoil guff to be dealing with another paranoid bell who pastes nonsense and never responds.

See you in 60 days.

Edited by Woyzeck

Ah now to be fair WW3's not all that preposterous. Massive economic problems world wide always leave things a little tense, various governments would like to blame various other governments for the serious problems, that's generally how these things start. So I'll give you that.

NWO stuff 's a bit out there though, china's definitely not saying WW3 or NWO, at all, in fact if you look at the wikileaks stuff they're starting to (privately) distance themselves from Iran a bit, as Iran clearly aren't playing the game properly. And why help out people who won't play the game?

So that's all rubbish.

But the whole system may break down over the next few years, worldwide, with massive military unrest following, that's not tin foil hat stuff.

Was there a time limit on Duane and how long he had to reply to that post you referred to or has he already fluffed that and been suspended?

Just waiting for his first next post. Nobody can say I'm not fair. I'm the UKFF Waylon Mercy.

This isn't the place or the time, but who the fuck is that in your avatar? It looks like Guile out of Street Fighter the movie!

Edited by BiffingtonClyro

The legal system is hilarious sometimes.

Defence: M'lud, some of the key prosecution evidence appears to have been accidentally, er, lost. In light of this, our clients cannot have a fair trial and should therefore be found not guilty.

Judge: Good point, you're all free to go.

I especially like that there will possibly be an inquiry into the why the multi million pound case failed which will no doubt cost a fortune and achieve nothing.

A good blog on recent events.

Still no justice for the Cardiff Three

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...e-for-cardiff-3

I'm no fan of Ahmadinejad or any of his anti-Semitism. But what's the geopolitical reason as to why the US hates Iran and is seamingly so eager to invade? What's Iran's "threat"? They've never invaded anyone, have they? Even if they had and that was the standard for going to war, the US would have been wiped out by now, considering their invasions, coups and massive war crimes across The Middle East and Latin America?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the US installed The Shah, a brutal dictator, in Iran in 1953 and have been pissed off ever since the Iranians got rid of him. The US have been punishing Iran ever since with constant threats, support of its enemies (including Iraq during the Iran-Iraq war), and imposing sanctions. Looking at the current sactions; what's the point? Damaging the Iranian economy hurts the civilians. While I don't condone it all, is it any surprise that a few of these civilians attacked our embassy while chanting, "Death to Britain"?

I've heard many times that Iran is a "rogue state". Isn't that what the US is, considering its illegal bombings and invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and its complete rejection of the World Court's decision which admonished the US for its terrorism in Nicaragua?

Edited by Vice

There's a bit more to it than that, iran has been a bit naughty with helping out insurgents in iraq, for one, won't do as it's told re it's nuclear weapons (not just by america, but by the international community as a whole) says some rather confrontational stuff about about israel etc etc.

Not to say war won't be about oil, or even that America's behaviour isn't as naughty as Iran's in alot of cases. But there it is, it may kick off, if so America will have no real right or moral justification for it, but it'll be Iran's own fucking fault.

The main reason, nowadays, that the US gets testy with Iran is that one of Iran's stated aims is to blow Israel back to the stone age, and the US rightly suspects that once they have nuclear weapons they might be tempted to do just that. Although, considering how many nukes are aimed at them, I have some sympathy with the Iranians on this one.

But the region has always been this political chessboard. Even before the large oil strikes there at the end of the 19th century, Persia and Afghanistan were playthings in the larger game being played by Western powers, for control of trade routes and for control of access to India. Central Asia fascinates the West because it's so fucking huge, and with such vast natural reserves. In many ways, keeping the area constantly subdued has been to the West's advantage. As you can see now with the Arabian states, once the local populace get full control of their own destiny and resources, they become world players and less likely to kowtow to the US.