General politics discussion thread

David

These Occupy LSX Protestors camping on the St Pauls church yard have forced them to close it, I hope God Strikes lightning on their tents.

Yeah, piss take that!

Can't camp at the London Stock Exchange, so the Cathedral offered them the sapce, now when it's time to do one for Sunday Service they refuse!!

Fucking scumbag parasites!

These Occupy LSX Protestors camping on the St Pauls church yard have forced them to close it, I hope God Strikes lightning on their tents.

Yeah, piss take that!

Can't camp at the London Stock Exchange, so the Cathedral offered them the sapce, now when it's time to do one for Sunday Service they refuse!!

Fucking scumbag parasites!

Tbf the protesters have been adamant about sorting out fire escape routes and not blocking entrances and so on and working with the staff at St Paul's so it would remain open.

They interviewed a load of people from the camp last night on BBC and they seemed a bit miffed about them closing it because they arent causing problems for it and the staff of St Paul's were seemingly in agreement that the show must go on, until a rapid change of minds was taken. Afaik even the health and safety officer for London says at present there is no issue at present. One could say its very un church like and indeed is politically motivated

There is a wedding on at St Paul's today, so perhaps, fears of gatecrashing that may have been an issue.

The protesters seem to be alright thus far, no agitation, peaceful protest. On the surface and going by who they have interviewed on the BBC it seems a very quaint affair with the majority of the protesters being middle class and well educated

This may change, clearly, but at present its nice to see a rally that doesnt have the usual provocateurs involved

What a lovely, Christian attitude you have there.

It was sarcasm my friend. Although I do think the protestors should move if the church has requested it.

What a lovely, Christian attitude you have there.

It was sarcasm my friend. Although I do think the protestors should move if the church has requested it.

Of course it was.

I'm all for the protests but it's shit that someone's wedding seems to be fucked. If the church has requested them to move on, they could always put in a call to the bailiffs who are at a loose end now that Dale Farm is back to being a scrapyard.

"Are you lot all students?" I was at the Occupy London camp at St Paul's last week, and a woman marched up to me and asked about the protesters' demographic. I'm just a journalist, I said, you're better off talking to them yourself. "Don't need to," she replied. "They're all students." Actually, a lot of them aren't. "Oh," she replied. "They're benefit-scroungers, then." It's a common reaction. In order to delegitimise the camp, lots of passersby I met wanted to pigeonhole the protesters as either unrealistic youngsters, or lazy layabouts.

Yesterday's news report that 90% of the tents lie empty at night seemed to exacerbate these prejudices. The protesters aren't just lazy, the rightwing press argued: they're too lazy to even stay there. "It's incredible," said Matthew Richardson, a Corporation of London councillor who blew the whistle on the supposedly vacant tents. "It just shows most of the demonstrators don't have the courage of their convictions and are just here to make trouble."

First, then, some myth-busting. I camped at the occupation last week. The idea that occupiers only use one in 10 tents is laughable. I couldn't put an exact number on it, but I reckon that the nights I was down there, more than three quarters were full. The camp operates a sign in/sign out procedure to keep track of vacant tents. What's more, I can't find anyone who will independently confirm where this 90% figure came from. Cllr Richardson says it was determined by police thermal imaging. But a spokesman for the Corporation of London police said he couldn't comment on operational procedure, and that the statistic hadn't come from the police. In fact, the only person who has spoken about it is Cllr Richardson himself, who later told the Guardian he hadn't heard it from official sources. The Daily Telegraph claimed their own thermal imagists had verified the rumour. Yet their video was not only shot at 12:30am (an hour before most occupiers tend to hit the sack): it also shows three separate protesters evaporating from sight when standing behind their tents

Edited by Keith Houchen

This little nugget of information is interesting. Know anything about it Mickey?

The English Defence League are planning an attack on the protesters at Occupy London Stock Exchange this Sunday. Greg Bingham put a call out to fellow London racists calling for them to turn up to LSX and 'move' them.

Source

This little nugget of information is interesting. Know anything about it Mickey?

The English Defence League are planning an attack on the protesters at Occupy London Stock Exchange this Sunday. Greg Bingham put a call out to fellow London racists calling for them to turn up to LSX and 'move' them.

Source

Are we allowed to discuss this?

Regardless, while I'm not a lover of our carry on camping mob, any acts of violence towards them are totally disgraceful and unsupported and should be delt with to the full extent of the law

• Paid Members

Source

Are we allowed to discuss this?

Regardless, while I'm not a lover of our carry on camping mob, any acts of violence towards them are totally disgraceful and unsupported and should be delt with to the full extent of the law

It seems you have a very 'pick & mix' attitute to the EDL. As soon as anyone points out any instances of violence, thuggery or in this case, proposed violence you seem to admonish it & distance yourself. Surely as a 'member' of a group you're either in or out? Daz suggested several think tanks & alternatives to the EDL yet you seemingly ignored him. It's the equivalent of being a member of the boy scouts & saying 'I don