General politics discussion thread

David

• Paid Members
Oh goody Ken Livingstone is on Question Time

aaaaaaaand point remote - OFF!

There, happiness :)

You do realise this isn't twitter, right? You've come into a politics thread to make the point that you're avoiding politics.

Oh goody Ken Livingstone is on Question Time

aaaaaaaand point remote - OFF!

There, happiness :)

You do realise this isn't twitter, right? You've come into a politics thread to make the point that you're avoiding politics.

And you've come into a politics thread to have a pop at me.

The point was my weekly enjoyment of QT was spoilt due to Kenny Boy.

See?

Within politics you will tend to find people who hold opposing views. Now you obviously don't have to listen to those views if you don't want to. But, if you'll only watch/read/listen to people who share your opinions? Then you're opinions tend to end up moronic and laughable. (I don't need to even mention your sig for proof of that, your retarded point about the wall st protest having rich people in it, based on what you read on the daily mail site, is more than adequate proof of that).

I can even give you an example, the current government's pushing the right to buy idea for council homes, but it's also promosing to build one social house for everyone sold. Now that's a brilliant idea, and I applaud them for it, and labour should have done it over a decade ago (as should thatcher when the scheme first came out, but I digress) but if I turned off radio 4 because they had a tory politician on, I wouldn't have known that.

Edited by Kiffy

Liam Fox resigns as defence secretary. I see that the blooding is early this political year

Personal misjudgement, could see him back later on ala Mandy, as long as the reports/investigations, if continued, arent too damning. Seems to have split opinion amongst people, saying that he was good at his job, but his trust was compromised and had to go. Others are saying that it was a press witch hunt over nothing as Werrity wasnt paid by the tax payer to go to these things and what not as part of a larger smear campaign to smash the coalition and cause change as 'they' are still smarting over the election 18months ago and subsequent attacks on the 'freedom' of the press.

Any deas to who will get the job? An old schooler? Someone up and coming? If Letwin goes over 'Bin Gate' will we get an enforced reshuffle?

• Paid Members

I suspect they want to avoid a full-on reshuffle until David Laws is cleared and they can bring him back, possibly while ditching Vince Cable. The other problem with a reshuffle is they have to address whether it's a case of the Lib Dems having any five posts, or if they are keeping the specific posts they currently fill.

Rumor-mill is that they'll simply shift an existing cabinet minister (such as Phillip Hammond) sideways and then promote a minister to replace them. That works a lot easier if you do it in a department where the current #2 is a Conservative. If the Hammond story bears out, that would be the case with Theresa Villiers, plus she's a woman which would make sense given Cameron's recent image problems.

• Paid Members

Not far off there. Hammond's got the sideways shift, but he's been replaced by Justine Greening who was a junior at the Treasury, apparently because Cameron doesn't rate Villiers much.

Greening's been replaced by a 29 year old. 29. Fuck's sake.

What an absolute fool Fox was. We all know that the Tories are fatally compromised by their incestuous ties to business, but don't shove it in our faces by taking your bum chum schoolmate around on official trips and let him sell arms to foreign powers in the same meeting as you're in!

However - the other subtext to all this, that the media has been hinting at but not really publicising, is that Wirrity is meant to also be Fox's former and possibly current lover. The rumours about Fox have been around for years, and were brought back into relief last year when his flat in London got burgled whilst he was there, and although he told the media he was alone, he told the police he had a male friend sleeping over.

So I'm happy to see him swing for being a fool, but the fact he's a closet homosexual is not a resigning offence in my eyes.

But that's not why he went though, the media are having a few hints about it, cos it makes the story a bit juicier. But him lying about what the bloke was up to, and the clear shadyness of the whole set up. Whether he not he took it up the ass from him doesn't come into it.

Having been catching up with recent news & events I saw this interesting story. I wonder if the US & UK fancy their chances against Iran?

The US says it has broken up a plot by agents linked to Iran to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to Washington using explosives.

Two men originally from Iran - one a naturalised US citizen - have been charged with counts of conspiracy, Attorney General Eric Holder said.

The plot was "conceived" in Iran by the Quds force, part of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, he added.

The state department has listed Iran as a "state sponsor" of terror since 1984.

Mr Holder said the alleged plot was a "flagrant violation of US and international law" that had been "conceived, sponsored and directed by Iran".

Iran's official Islamic Republic News Agency called the charges a "propaganda campaign" by the US government against Tehran.

The allegations were "a comedy show fabricated by America", Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast told the semi-official Iranian news agency, Fars.

The Saudi embassy in Washington DC said the alleged plot was "a despicable violation of international norms, standards and conventions and is not in accord with the principles of humanity".

The two accused were named as Manssor Arbabsiar, a 56-year-old naturalised US citizen with dual Iranian and US passports, and Gholam Shakuri, based in Iran and said to be a member of Iran's Quds Force.

Mr Arbabsiar, who was arrested at New York's John F Kennedy airport on 29 September, has confessed to his involvement in the alleged plot, Mr Holder said.

Mr Shakuri was said to be in Iran.

US officials said that on 24 May 2011, Mr Arbabsiar made contact with an informant for the US Drug Enforcement Agency, who was posing as a Mexican drug cartel member.

Over a series of meetings, it is said that details emerged of a conspiracy involving members of the Iranian government paying $1.5m (

Given a choice I'd say iran's probably on the wish list for a war for the US. Extra militant islamic, calling for the wiping out of israel, nutter in charge. Dunno is they have oil but if they do they tick all the box's.

As far as fancying chances go, iran vs the usa isn't even a question, they'd get thumped. The bigger question is whether you can do it without having to keep a peacekeeping force there for the next 20 years, and just how much more you want to piss of the arab (specifically muslim) world.