The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

Sounds like KP will be fit. Where does that leave us?

Also, I think the sun and heat will be back for the start of the test. Hurrah!

With the same team as Lords I reckon.

I'll be "working at home" tomorrow, Friday and Monday if necessary so I should be able to watch the lot of it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, they're not changing that team. Fuck knows who Australia are picking, though. Lyon in for Agar and possibly Warner for Hughes seems the safest bet but I wouldn't be surprised if Merv Hughes pulled on the Baggy Green tomorrow.

You could make a better team out of the crowd at these Tests than the Aussies can currently field, for sure. There's always chaps like Glenn McGrath and Adam GIlchrist knocking around doing commentary. Quick stretch of the old knees, couple of windmills, get out there.

• Paid Members

No change for England you would guess provided KP is fit. Root's wickets in the last test probably did Monty's chances no good even if it is going to turn as much as they think.

The convicts though could pick anyone. They were talking about a recall for Simon Katich earlier on the radio. That would be real desperation if they go for that. Lehman might as well pick himself if it is getting that bad.

• Paid Members

Katich should still be in the team. Australia are in a right knot. They dropped him a couple of years ago so they could pick younger players like Warner and Hughes and Cowan and Watson. Katich went mad in a press conference about it, saying they would regret it. And they are.

So what do they do for this tour? They call up Rogers - a mid-thirties crabby left-hander with a solid technique who has played a lot in England. Sound familiar? Completely stupid. Even Ted Dexter wouldn't have managed something that dumb even during our darkest days.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

The problem is they seem to be stuck in this halfway house of picking older players because they don't have faith in young players and then also picking young players because they feel they ought to. They should just shit or get off the pot here. Either go with the youngsters or pick your best team irrespective of age, as doing a bit of both isn't really working.

If they pick the younger players, they need to stick with them and not drop players after one game. Keep faith in the players, even if they're not winning matches at the moment and once they start to grow then fortunes will change.

I guess this is what happens when you've got a group of fantastic players who all retire from international cricket within a year or two of each other...you get a massive influx of new players and if you don't have confidence in them to deliver from the start, you find yourself picking anyone and everyone who can hold a bat the right way around.

• Moderators
The problem is they seem to be stuck in this halfway house of picking older players because they don't have faith in young players and then also picking young players because they feel they ought to.

My god, it's almost like them choosing between Matthew Maynard and Adam Hollioake.

Let them make those choices, it's about fucking time they had to.

Australia win the toss. They're going to bat first, and make three changes - as expected, it's Warner, Starc and Lyon for Hughes, Pattinson and Agar. England are unchanged.

No Merv :(

• Paid Members

Odd to see Channel 5 commentary and presentation making it look like there was no controversy at all about the Khawaja dismissal and review. They even tried to claim the reason he was shouting/swearing as he left was because he was frustrated at making a mistake in playing the shot.

That was weird. In fact, it felt from watching back the highlights that it was just one of a number of contentious calls - England lost out on 2 or 3 wickets as well.

Whereas the rest of the press seem to regard the Khawaja incident as the nail in the coffin of DRS.

I'm starting to think we should just get rid of all the technology and go back to umpire's decision.

There's very little wrong with the technology, the use of it by Australia in particular and the Umpires has been the problem. Having seen the absolutely shocking umpiring in this series doing away with technology couldn't be further from my mind. Commentators saying things like "well they shouldn't have use their reviews" seems to be somewhat covering the terrible umpiring we are seeing.

Does anyone know if Snicko is going to be included? because I think that's the best of all the technology. The reason it wasn't was because it took too long but all of sudden it seems to be available pretty much straight away.

Snicko's the only bit I trust, Baz. The hotspot seems to be really unreliable.

The decision yesterday that amazed me was England's LBW appeal where Hawkeye clearly showed it was going on to hit the stump, and yet the decision was left as Out. Just as baffling as Khawaja.

Presumably there are rules that the off-field umpires are applying, but whatever those rules are they seem to be having quite the opposite effect.

The tech is only worth using if it eliminates all doubt. Hot spot seems to add doubt and Hawkeye isn't being rigorously followed. Snicko IMO can clearly show a sound as the ball passes the bat, and is the most reliable of the lot for that sort of appeal. From what they were saying, Snicko should be in use by the 2nd Ashes series.