The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

They should take the opportunity to call up Sam Curran. Choosing Finn for Stokes was stupid, surely you want to go like for like. Who's next in line though, Tom Curran or Liam Plunkett?

• Paid Members

I would probably opt for Plunkett. Bangs it in, which is no bad thing on Australian decks, can hit 90mph when bowling change spells. Kind of bloke who will keep on giving it a go when large Aussie partnerships form, which will inevitably happen down under. 

• Paid Members

We're taking Curran http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21322725/knee-injury-ends-steven-finn-ashes-tour 

I would have preferred Plunkett, but OK. Guess him bowling on the utter road that was the Oval last season isn't the worst practice. I will be pissed if he plays above Overton though (I'd pick either of them over Jake Ball).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

BETTING NEWS: Overton is 20/1 to be highest English test wicket taker. Anderson has a terrible record in Australia as he's a trad seamer and there;s not movement on their concrete, Avg in Aus is 37 so so and broad is bowling below 83mph these days so there's nothing on the flat for him. Overton bowls fast and skiddy. Perfect for Aus pitches. There's no movement from the pitch and the air humidity is negligible so there's no movement from the air conditions so pure pace takes wickets. Overton is worth a fiver.

Anyway, while I'm here and overexcited about the Ashes, what's the first series we all remember? For me it was the West Indies in 1990. Minaly because of this advert on SKY

But the Young Lions were fantastic. Leaving Fatty Botham at home and Fatter Gatting and giving Athers, Hussain, D-Mal a shot (Still took Eddie Hemmings) made the 90s look like a great decade after winning the first test. The series was lost, but it went to the wire.

Then Gatting and Botham cam back, and then Mark Lathwell and Allan Igglesden got capped and we know the rest.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'm almost afraid to ask but who have BT Sport got for their commentary team? I know Swann is on there and I've already got the mute button glued to my finger in anticipation of when he's on. Vaughan and Ponting also on there? Who else? And who's presenting?

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm almost afraid to ask but who have BT Sport got for their commentary team? I know Swann is on there and I've already got the mute button glued to my finger in anticipation of when he's on. Vaughan and Ponting also on there? Who else? And who's presenting?

Someone called Matt Smith is presenting. I assume it isn't the bloke from Doctor Who, but I wouldn't hold me to that.

Boycott, Damien Fleming, Gilchrist, Alison Mitchell also there from what I recall.

It's basically TMS with an indentikit host and some random Australians. I'm switching it off and going for the real thing. Fingers crossed for Swann and Vaughan to be struck down with some horrendous illness later today which stops them ponging up the coverage. 

I'm lucky, in that I had BT anyway because my flatmate wanted the rugby. But, Christ, if there is one fucking thing I don't mind a monopoly in, it's sport coverage (if it isn't going to be on Freeview). At least a few years ago, I wasn't running multiple subscriptions to watch the fucking cricket. 

Edited by Gus Mears