New Doctor Who

stewdogg

The Metro's ran a story today saying that the shortlist is believed to be down to Richard Coyle, Juian Rhind-Tutt, Emun Elliot and Burn Gorman.Some northern paper said yesterday that they thought it was going to be Sheridan Smith. I don't want a doctor who looks a bit like a dirty chav who you probably would, but then not tell many people about it.

I rather like Sheridan Smith as a companion in the Big Finish productions I've heard. Not the best qualification for being the Doctor though. I would have been shocked if Coyle's name didn't come up despite not wanting him to get it.

• 1 month later...

12th doctor reveal expected for this sunday

Basically someone tweeted that celebrity mastermind at 7pm sunday will be replaced by the announcement but deleted it after realising that this was supposed to be embargoed till midnight tonight.

Peter Capaldi still odds-on

Radio times confirm announcement coming tonight

Edited by iamtheman

Apparently Zoe Ball is presenting a live show this weekend, so presumably the announcement is about the announcement.

Peter Capaldi looks likely now, if only because this announcement seems to so quickly follow him bombing to the the top of the list of favourites from out of nowhere.

The news coming now as good as confirms my long standing suspicion that despite what they say, they're going to 'swerve' us by having the regeneration in the 50th anniversary special.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I was toying with going to the show they're revealing it at (they'd advertised it as part of a series celebrating BBC shows) but was put off by their desire for fans to come in fancy dress or cosplay or whatever you're meant to call it. Bugger that noise. Bit gutted now.

Hopefully the audience will be encourageable to whoever it is. I'm dreading "who the fuck are you?" shouts or "but the Doctor's a man" cries.

This is a Live thing with an audience though. The Smith reveal was in a pre-recorded show and they had clips of him in stuff. Just be odd if they go AND THE NEW DOCTOR IS.... and a fella walks out who nobody knows. I'm not saying I'm against that, just an odd way to do it infront of an audience is what I'm saying.

To be fair whoever they get, unless it's a really big name, is going to be met with some people in the audience having no buggering clue who they are. They're just expecting a nice audience who'll react as they're encouraged to I think. Which hopefully they'll get.

Its a shame its not a two hour live talent show where the candidates will have to complete challenges like "who waves the magic wand about the best" and so on. I mean, as a fan of the show it'd be crap, but it'd make such wonderful car crash television. Its now time for the "snog the companion" contest, and then who can talk to a robotic dog for the longest without laughing and then give them sixty seconds to rummage through an old costume box and put on the coolest costume. I know it'd be awful but a perverse part of me would love to see that. Throw in a knobbly knees round becuase I think Doctors should have knobbly knees.