New Doctor Who

stewdogg

So you want it to end after the 13th Doctor?

Personally I'm not fussed on the whole '13' regenerations. The Master ran out of them twice, managed to survive, and regenerated in the new series. Also, I know William Hartnell is 'the first', but who is to say he is the actual first version of the Doctor, just because in television he is number 1, does not mean he is actually No.1 (if that makes sense) And he may have used up one of his regenerations when he transfered the power to his hand at the end of the last series.

I'ld like them to create a story around it when it comes to it, perhaps the Doctor growing weary and looking forward to death (a bit like McCoys Doctor near the end, the growing tired of it all) Then have him regenerate, and perhaps search for the reason why this has happened. Don't know what it would be, but thats not my job ;) But I'ld ceratinly like a big story, maybe a series, investigating just why he has gone beyond 13.

I also hope they bring back big stories, like 3-4 parters. I think many of the stories are rushed personally, and thus loose impact. I always think a good Dalek episode has to last for more than 2, I hate how the Doctor seems to be able to easily wipe them all out these days. Plus less-earth based ones, sort of take away the realism I think when you have Dalek after Dalek invasion. Also leaves the impact of the Doctor being an 'alien' seem less important.

• Paid Members

The Master got given a new cycle of re-gens to fight in the Time War though did he not? And only survived prior to that by taking over the bodies of other people; i.e. the '96 film.

Edited by tom

Well I disagree with you entirely. Yes, it could easily be sorted by a throwaway line about regeneration limits being enforced by the timelords and since they are no longer around then it doesn't matter, but why would he even bother to say that other than to placate some viewers.

And if you want to things to be canonical then how far do you go. Are the TV stories the only thing that becomes canonical? If so, I demand they explain how Paul McGann regenerated and I also want to know how the Doctor is as old as he says he is when the grand total of his spell as Peter Davison amounts to something like three and a half weeks, real time.

If you're taking the audios and the books as canon, then why does the Doctor not get an eerilie familiar feeling a lot of the time when many of his most recent adventures are replicas of books and audios?

Why is it no longer heavily hinted at that the Doctor is in fact God (see the Seventh Doctor)?

If it wasn't for Ian Levine's intervention, I could also have said 'Why do the Silurians all of a sudden come from a planet called Siluria'?

How could the Second Doctor suddenly get control of the TARDIS to be able to leave Victoria at a University while he and Jamie had the 'Two Doctors' adventure when the Doctor only gained a real understanding of the TARDIS's controls after the Three Doctors. Moreover, why is the Second Doctor's hair grey and why does Jamie not remember all talk of the Time Lords during episodes 9 and 10 of the War Games. Unless of course, there was a series 6b that we don't know about...

And at what point did he introduce himself as Doctor Who, and if he didn't, why did WOTAN insist on calling him that?

Or...

We could take it as three throwaway lines in 3 stories and accept that something's happened offscreen and it's all sorted.

Oh, and by the way, to the poster above, it is established on a few occasions that the William Hartnell Doctor was the first by a line in the Five Doctors - "Goodness Me!! So there are five of me now". But...what about the Brain of Morbius.

:p

The Master got given a new cycle of re-gens to fight in the Time War though did he not? And only survived prior to that by taking over the bodies of other people; i.e. the '96 film.

He was offered a new full cycle of regenerations in the Five Doctors.

Also, here's a thought...

Who's to say the Master from the 8th Doctor Movie is post Ainley? After all, it was suggested he was exterminated by the Daleks. Would make more sense for that to have been Delgado.

See, we could argue plot points and canon all day.

To the question about the grey hair of the second doctor, I'ld use the explanation given by Tennant to Davidson's Doctor in the Children in Need thing, about the time lines being out of sync so ageing the 5th Doctor. Pretty reasonable explanation I thought.

I can't remember him ever being called 'Doctor Who'. I remember in the first episode he is called it, and the Doctor sort of likes it or something (My memory may not be up to much on this, so do not take it as fact) I think he's called 'Doctor Who' in the Peter Cushin(spelling?) films, but they are not considered cannon (although both are very good films)

Well I disagree with you entirely. Yes, it could easily be sorted by a throwaway line about regeneration limits being enforced by the timelords and since they are no longer around then it doesn't matter, but why would he even bother to say that other than to placate some viewers.

And if you want to things to be canonical then how far do you go. Are the TV stories the only thing that becomes canonical? If so, I demand they explain how Paul McGann regenerated and I also want to know how the Doctor is as old as he says he is when the grand total of his spell as Peter Davison amounts to something like three and a half weeks, real time.

If you're taking the audios and the books as canon, then why does the Doctor not get an eerilie familiar feeling a lot of the time when many of his most recent adventures are replicas of books and audios?

Why is it no longer heavily hinted at that the Doctor is in fact God (see the Seventh Doctor)?

If it wasn't for Ian Levine's intervention, I could also have said 'Why do the Silurians all of a sudden come from a planet called Siluria'?

How could the Second Doctor suddenly get control of the TARDIS to be able to leave Victoria at a University while he and Jamie had the 'Two Doctors' adventure when the Doctor only gained a real understanding of the TARDIS's controls after the Three Doctors. Moreover, why is the Second Doctor's hair grey and why does Jamie not remember all talk of the Time Lords during episodes 9 and 10 of the War Games. Unless of course, there was a series 6b that we don't know about...

And at what point did he introduce himself as Doctor Who, and if he didn't, why did WOTAN insist on calling him that?

Or...

We could take it as three throwaway lines in 3 stories and accept that something's happened offscreen and it's all sorted.

Oh, and by the way, to the poster above, it is established on a few occasions that the William Hartnell Doctor was the first by a line in the Five Doctors - "Goodness Me!! So there are five of me now". But...what about the Brain of Morbius.

:p

Your argument's on the weak side because you're comparing something fairly central to the character (the amount of regenerations, which isn't just three throwaway lines in three stories, no matter how many times you insist it's so) to something which few people give a damn about (the planet of origin of the Silurians, or the Doctor's hair colour in one story). There's canon and there's canon, if you get my drift.

I was being deliberatly facetious to an extent.

But I don't honestly think it's critical to canon at all. It's just something that was written into the Deadly Asassain to explain why the Master wasn't Roger Delgado anymore, and it was used again three times. Once as a plot device in Mawdryn Undead, once to giv the Master a purpose in the Five Doctors and once as a swerve in the big reveal about the Valyard in the Ultimate Foe. At no point is the lack of regenerations a concern to the Doctor other than in Mawdryn Undead so it's not something that has been central to his character.

It's never been mentioned at any point other than that.

It doesn't need explained or sorted and it wouldn't harm the show or its credibility with people other than canon marks. Inevitably there will be a throwaway line to explain it. But as a Doctor Who fan, i'd far rather have a Time War special with Paul McGann regenerating at the end of it.

Also, I would say the Doctor's age is of significance to his character his age makes no sense if you even scratch the surface of his character.

Edited by sgmilne

• Paid Members

Apparantly it's sparklepire, not fire, and is a reference to vampires which sparkle in Twilight, the show featuring Robert Parttinson. I presume that's the show hardcore Dr Who fans watch instead now the BBC have made it all commercial or some such.

OTP is apparantly One True Pairing which is where the type of people who do fan fiction get all obsessed about a relationship between two characters.