New Doctor Who

stewdogg

Ever thought Tennant could be throwing people of the scent by specifically saying This Chap?

And Duane, the correct term nowadays is Actor, for both male and female.

Actress isn't used anymore? How odd.

RTD and Moffatt have been telling people its he, she or it...so make of that what you will :)

but in todays PC world and with the BBC having a ridiculous policy of casting all roles colourblind its just gonna happen for the wrong reasons here isn't it? They will do it simply because they want to make a point and no doubt everyone will jump on the defence being that he was the best man for the job but I can't help but think its wrong and it will be done to be PC.

Wow, we've not had an empty use of "PC" as an insult for at least a few days now. Explain to me, in non-racist terms, why it's wrong for the Doctor to potentially be black.

• Paid Members

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago that I was Lee McDonald, Zammo from Grange Hill, and I'd been chosen to play the new Doctor. We were filming the regeneration scene and it occurred to me that it was a bit rubbish, a bit half-arsed, so I spoke to a friendly member of the crew and he admitted that I wasn't the new Doctor, I was only a diversion for the press. The new Doctor was already filming a battle scene down the road! So I ran out of the studio, through town, and to this field where, yes, there was a huge battle scene being filmed, and right in the middle was the new Doctor Who...

Will Mellor.

[He] has to stay male and if they announce a woman I will boycott

Is it possible for a white Timelord to regenerate into a black timelord? You'd have to say no, but in todays PC world and with the BBC having a ridiculous policy of casting all roles colourblind its just gonna happen for the wrong reasons here isn't it? They will do it simply because they want to make a point and no doubt everyone will jump on the defence being that he was the best man for the job but I can't help but think its wrong and it will be done to be PC.

I'm not racist/sexist but... :laugh:

You couldn't make it up!

Now on to him being black or any race other than white, again its something thats up for debate most people seem to be supportive of Patterson Joseph getting the role but lets look at this from a realistic perspective and say does it make sense that a character who has been white since its conception should now be black? Is it possible for a white Timelord to regenerate into a black timelord? You'd have to say no.

At the end of the Wargames when Patrick Troughton is being forced too regenerate, he is offered by the Timelords to choose his regeneration form, one of the choices is a black man, So it's clearly possible.

I just think the only reason they would do it, is to recreate some of the Obama hype/publicity which would be a totally retarded thing to do.

Ever thought Tennant could be throwing people of the scent by specifically saying This Chap?

No, thats clearly not the case. Throwing someone of the scent would be saying something thats true but saying it in a way that makes you think something else. Chap means man, therefore its a man. If you sit there and tell a barefaced lie its not throwing people off the scent, its lying. I don't see the BBC airing an advert for tonights confidential featuring David Tennant sitting there lying to Camera. If thats the case he may as well have been sitting there saying 'Yes, well the Doctor is in fact Brian Blessed'.

• Paid Members
[He] has to stay male and if they announce a woman I will boycott

Is it possible for a white Timelord to regenerate into a black timelord? You'd have to say no, but in todays PC world and with the BBC having a ridiculous policy of casting all roles colourblind its just gonna happen for the wrong reasons here isn't it? They will do it simply because they want to make a point and no doubt everyone will jump on the defence being that he was the best man for the job but I can't help but think its wrong and it will be done to be PC.

I'm not racist/sexist but... :laugh:

You couldn't make it up!

I read that as him meaning that the BBC will cast a black person or a woman just for the sake of trying to look PC.

Actress isn't used anymore? How odd.

You still get it, but it's rare. Everythings equal now, but a female Doctor would just be strange. I'll be put on the sexist shelf, but a stong female lead doesn't have the same effect as a strong male lead. Besides... he is a male Timelord and opening the changing sex via Regeneration thing opens a can of many worms.

Wow, we've not had an empty use of "PC" as an insult for at least a few days now. Explain to me, in non-racist terms, why it's wrong for the Doctor to potentially be black.

The most obvious answer is that he's a white guy.

I don't see much difference if he's black, green or blue. Theres the argument that Nine put forth when he regenerated that you never know what you'll get even 'two heads or no head' and although I don't remember it there's been a lot of talk about Romana's regeneration showing multiple options before she turned into Tom Bakers wife. But at the same time I do have this 'black guy for the sake of a black guy' fear.

The name being thrown around is a good one, but at the same time the Doctor is a white guy and since Joseph's name came about saying such a thing makes you racist, saying it's time for a black Doctor makes you PC. The whole things just became a bit annoying for me in that perspective.

• Paid Members

For a process which changes your entire face and body, is turning black really out of the realms of possibility? It's like saying how can a short Doctor regenerate into a tall Doctor.

For a process which changes your entire face and body, is turning black really out of the realms of possibility? It's like saying how can a short Doctor regenerate into a tall Doctor.

Every cell in his body changes, he could change species[Romana did in Destiny of the Daleks when she regenerated in 1979] [and such was mentioned in the 1996 TV movie] he could wind up with no two heads or no head [Eccleston regeneration - Parting of the Ways] he could even be half human [TV Movie 1996] and was offered a black body when forced to regenerate by the Timelords [The War Games 1969] so turning Black isn't beyond anything established previously.

Either way roll on half five.

The name being thrown around is a good one, but at the same time the Doctor is a white guy and since Joseph's name came about saying such a thing makes you racist, saying it's time for a black Doctor makes you PC. The whole things just became a bit annoying for me in that perspective.

If you think a brilliant actor like Patterson Joseph is just a name being thrown round to appear "PC", then that says quite a lot about your attitude to black actors in general, I'd say. Would he be good for the part? Absolutely. He's done great work in comedy and drama. I don't think saying the Doctor is a specifically white part is racist, but equally I don't think it's correct. And who's said "it's time for a black doctor" without adding maybe to the start of that sentence and a question mark to the end? Come on.

If anyone thinks Patterson Joseph would be a bad choice, say why. If the only response is "he's black, and the Doctor's always been white" then that's a fairly ignorant basis for an argument. Still, in 2 hours, this debate will academic anyway.

If you think a brilliant actor like Patterson Joseph is just a name being thrown round to appear "PC", then that says quite a lot about your attitude to black actors in general, I'd say.

It's unbelievable how many times I've said 'I don't mind what colour he is' including in that very post, yet being called a racist (maybe a harsh term considering your post, but thats how it comes off to me) in some way shape or form.

You asked a question, I gave the most obvious answer and didn't think I needed to add ;) to make it any more obvious there may have been some comical overtone. Elsewhere I've even said I'd like him in the role over other names and in that post said it was a good choice. That wasn't quoted or mentioned though.

To expand on the idea of pushing him ahead of other choices out of PCness or controversy - that fear comes off the OTT reaction from people saying it's time for a black actor to take the role. 'Patterson Joseph is the right choice because it's time for a black actor' is the theme of many posts I've read on many places. Some even going as far as comparing a fictional character being black to Obama wining the US election. The issue of skin colour has become shockingly overshadowed by the idea of getting a great actor.

It's essentially the kind of thing that's annoying the tits off me. The only actual prejudice I may have is hoping for someone older with both a wise and dark tone to their performance and that isn't James Nesbitt. Though I don't think I'll get that. Well, I might get the not James Nesbit bit.

Edited by Evolution