What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members
Quick reminder to anyone who doesn't know, Parks And Recreation starts on BBC4 tonight at 10pm. I've never seen it before, so I'll be doing my best to watch.

The first series is a tad slow so if it doesn't immediately grab you stick with it. It's an incredibly warm and funny show with some great characters.

I shall do my best! Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been watching this and I'm completely hooked already. May be because it reminds me of where I work. :smug:

• Paid Members

Is Vegas any good? Need some good TV to download on Sky Go for when I'm on the tube. It's one of those programmes that sounds like it could be good, but I have a feeling it's probably a bit shit. Halfway through watching Falcon, which is alright.

Only seen the first two episodes. Not bad, but not outstanding so far either but its still early days yet. Im working on the logic of 'It took Mad Men a while to get going in its first season'. Blue Bloods on Sky Atlantic is decent enough if you want something to just pass 45 minutes

Been watching The Big Reunion with mrs. Did Jay ever come back to Five, seen as he was being mentioned every other sentece

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Paid Members

Cheers, I'll give the first episode of Vegas a go to see. Got a bit bored of Blue Bloods, seemed the usual wishy-washy American crime drama from the few episodes I saw. Might try Spartacus as well.

This current (UK) series of Sons Of Anarchy is the business. It's getting really dark, with plenty of violence. Could be the best series so far!

Apparently, the new series starting this week called Boss is good - it's a political thing from the US starring Kelsey Grammer.

Also, In The Flesh is getting good reviews.

Watched the last part of The Gambler on more4 last night, thought it was a entertaining documentary mini series. Never saw it first time round in 2000 but it was one of those documentaries that are light hearted and not taking itself too seriously so it was quite funny.

• Moderators

Been catching up with the new series of Community. Watched the first few episodes yesterday.

It is still pretty much the same. Funny and watchable, yet patchy and a little annoying at the same time. They've lost nothing with axeing (axing?) Dan Harmon, so if he was as difficult to work with as some of the articles out there suggest it seems like they made the right call.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Been catching up with the new series of Community. Watched the first few episodes yesterday.

It is still pretty much the same. Funny and watchable, yet patchy and a little annoying at the same time. They've lost nothing with axeing (axing?) Dan Harmon, so if he was as difficult to work with as some of the articles out there suggest it seems like they made the right call.

Really? I can't help but feel it's missing something now with Harmon gone. Stuff is touch broader (Inspector Spacetime convention with Matt Lucas being around), more saccharine (cleaning up the school end to the German episode) and the references are just piled on (whilst the Sitcom stuff in the first episode was somewhat tied into Abed as a character it felt a lot more 'Hey look at this' than the reference stuff in seasons 2&3 which were very linked to the group and characters). Theres still some very witty writing and the cast are still fantastic but it doesn't quite have the edge that drew me to it in previous seasons (not to say the previous seasons didn't have bad episodes or episodes that were too broad/saccharine/reference-for-the-sake-of-it but this has kinda been the case with every episode of this season).

Then again, Sitcoms do tend to get broader as they go on - for all I know Harmon would have done a similar thing. It's very easy to blame the changes on his axing. I guess as well it used to be pretty much my favourite thing on TV and now it isn't - that difference is more noticable than if I'd enjoyed it to an extent but had issues with it (as you say you do)

Edited by organizedkaos

Firstly, why didn't someone tell me Kevin Eldon had a new BBC2 show and secondly, did anyone watch it?

I taped it, so I'll let you know. The review said "80% of viewers will hate this" so it sounds right up my street.

• Moderators
Really? I can't help but feel it's missing something now with Harmon gone. Stuff is touch broader (Inspector Spacetime convention with Matt Lucas being around), more saccharine (cleaning up the school end to the German episode)

It has already been going this way for a while. I've lost count of how many times Winger has turned over a new leaf. I really wish anything to do with Inspector Spacetime would just fuck off, and Abed lost his edge last season.

I don't disagree with a lot of your criticisms, but I don't think they're anything new or unique to this season.

Then again, Sitcoms do tend to get broader as they go on

Do they? I think there's a number of sitcoms (US specifically) that start with very one note stereotype characters, and take a while to find their feed and get some depth. This certainly used to be the case in the 90s anyway, before TV writing in general upped its game.