What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Derek was alright, time passed quickly. The highlight of it was reading the feedback on twitter as it was happening. It went from "This is shit, Gervais is overrated, not even funny!" in the first 15 minutes to "This is so sad, Gervias is a good actor, better than Life's Too Short" at the end.

I'd welcome more. Apparently it did 2M viewers, which is up from the usual rating Ch4 do at that time, so hopefully Ch4 pick it up.

• Paid Members

I didn't watch Derek. I Sky+ it but after that awful midget program, I couldn't really face hating another Gervais project. The feedback on twitter was pretty negative. Might give it a watch now though after reading some of this stuff.

I've been pretty harsh on it the last year or so (because it's been total fucking shit, mind), but Part 2 of the Blanket/Pillow Fort War on Community was a five-starerer. Take the normal characters and put them in perfectly observed abnormal situations every now and then, and it works like a treat. Tripping up over your own ringpiece to re-write the genre with shit concept episodes every fucking two minutes does not. The series has degenerated almost exclusively to the latter, but this was a rare example of the former. Awesome stuff.

I thought the exact opposite, that episode was the second one that has been complete cock. I just found it completely irredeemably unfunny. The only other episode I thought was shit, was the one with Jack Black in. Since the series has come back from the break it's not been that great, certainly down from previous seasons, but it's still been entertaining.

• Paid Members
I've been pretty harsh on it the last year or so (because it's been total fucking shit, mind), but Part 2 of the Blanket/Pillow Fort War on Community was a five-starerer. Take the normal characters and put them in perfectly observed abnormal situations every now and then, and it works like a treat. Tripping up over your own ringpiece to re-write the genre with shit concept episodes every fucking two minutes does not. The series has degenerated almost exclusively to the latter, but this was a rare example of the former. Awesome stuff.

I thought the exact opposite, that episode was the second one that has been complete cock. I just found it completely irredeemably unfunny. The only other episode I thought was shit, was the one with Jack Black in. Since the series has come back from the break it's not been that great, certainly down from previous seasons, but it's still been entertaining.

Yeah, I don't get what NEWM means. Surely this episode would be one of the concept episodes?. Regardless, I thought it was OK but aside from Pierce's costume can't remember laughing at it much. I preferred Part 1.

Dean Pelton is by far the funniest character in it now Pierce has ran his course. Almost everything he says is a catchphrase, but he only pops up once or twice an episode so it often works. The episode where he's making a documentary and casts Jeff as himself, and the episode where he bribes Jeff to sing Seal with him in the mall stand out as two of my favourites of the entire series.

"Come on, Jeffrey. Get in here! This is going to be fun. Or else."

• Paid Members
Watching the Simpsons and Randomly started chanting YES!!! when the Skies of Valkyrie came on for one of the Octuplets flew across the stage

POTY

Watching the Simpsons and Randomly started chanting YES!!! when the Skies of Valkyrie came on for one of the Octuplets flew across the stage

POTY

Flight of the Valkyries sorry.

Christ Triple A you was quick to catch my blunder there.

Edited by ajmcstyles

• Paid Members

POTY

Which one?

POTY

Which one?

Ok I make a few mistakes on here.

Is it Skies or the Flight

Derek was originally made as a Non-Broadcast Pilot. However, they decided to show it on Channel 4. Presumably to gauge viewer opinion. There was actually a Derek short made back in 2001 that 's really hard to find now. It's far more controversial, and Gervais has rightly toned down the whole persona to make it more loveable and sympathetic. Have read some rumours that Channel 4 were holding out on a full Series because of the justifiably poor reviews of Life's Too Short, and the whole Mong shit storm from last year.

It's on 4od if you missed it. Would recommend it, even if you hated Life's Too Short like I did. It's a definate return to form. Only thing that ruined it for me was the overly sad music running through the whole thing.

Also, this is a purely Gervais project, no input from the lanky goggle eyed freak Merchant.

Just finished watching it. I haven't watched Life's Too Short but I wanted to watch this. It was a drama/touching programming with tiny droplets of comedy involved IE the Headbutt and Derek mentioned the headbutt in the last line. I understand the roll that Gervais was trying to act out but he didnt die on his arse I felt he could of played the role of derek slightly differently he came across as really annoying in parts but what the hell it was good for its target audience. Just don't expect Comedy gold from this as its the complete opposite.

So anyone catch the 4th episode of Touch? I'm starting to get a bit mire hopeful that they are fleshing the characters and story out a bit, couple of characters that appeared in an earlier episode were back. The story linked together a lot better in this episode I think.

Intrigued as to where its heading, for anyone who is watching, do you think Sarah might still be alive? I think this could be where its headed somehow, we ll see.

Also anyone know how many episodes this first series will have?