What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Fucking Lost. What an abortion. Far too many questions with so few answers, gets ridiculous, seriously Rosey just jack it in now. It's just not worth it. You should never stick with a show that ends up frustrating and angering you the more you watch it, and you will feel this way.

In a similar vein to Rosey (the 'why havent I seen this before' theme), I have just started watching Mad Men 1st series. 3 episodes into it and it's brilliant so far. Don Draper really is the fucking man, isn't he?

well derek wasnt very funny apart from plikington's rant about wanting to throw out tat in to a skip. i predicted the ending and what was going to happen. found it quite moving but that might have just been the music. even with gervais trying his best to show emotion towards the end.

i did get a bit teary at his speech in the extras special though

• Paid Members
...and Xena Warrior Princess showing her knockers a lot. Does it have anything else to offer?

Does it need anything else? Also, why was I not informed of this? I'd have started watching this a lot sooner had I known about Xena's baps.

Somebody hasn't bookmarked http://upcomingnudescenes.net/index.php

Lost is utterly fantastically brilliant up untill season 6. Best to stop watching then and come up with your own endings for the characters and explanation for the secrets because they will probably be better than what the show came up with.

The thing is if you watched it week to week the show often felt very slow, but when you watch it back on DVD in bulk viewings the seasons come off 1000 times better and more rapid paced. Also, people shit on season 2 but it has probably one of the top 5 episodes the show ever did and also probably one of the best twists the show ever did. It's probably the weakest season overall though. The first half of season 3 is hit and miss, but it really kicks into high gear near the end. Season 5 is probably the strongest overall season IMO.

100% agree. I'm yet to watch the disappointing 6th season in one hit, but it's on the agenda. I fully intend to watch them all over again at some point so I may as well wait till then.

I was a massive massive fan of Lost and was in denial over the 6th season for some time. I just couldn't concede that it was poor. I did in the end. I hope it comes off better in one viewing though. However everything else before that was great 99% of the time.

I stopped watching halfway through Season 3, when SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Adebisi died

, as that was the final straw for me in a show I had been gradually losing interest in.

To be fair, that wasn't the shows fault. From what I understand they had big plans for that character.

Just watched Derek. I thought it was OK, better than Life's Too Short. I'd say the dialogue and mannerisms of Derek are done well. What spoils it is his mouth and the way he walks. It's like he's trying too hard.

• Paid Members

Just watched Derek. Nice to see a return to form for Gervais. Some nice moments in there, especially Karly Pikboids putting the painting back up. Feels like he's redeemed himself after the shitfest that was Life's Too Short. He needs to move away from the Mockumentary though, if only to stop the *look's at camera* thing that's not very funny anymore.

Hope he keeps it as a one off, doesn't need a full series. It was all nicely wrapped up by the end.

I've been pretty harsh on it the last year or so (because it's been total fucking shit, mind), but Part 2 of the Blanket/Pillow Fort War on Community was a five-starerer. Take the normal characters and put them in perfectly observed abnormal situations every now and then, and it works like a treat. Tripping up over your own ringpiece to re-write the genre with shit concept episodes every fucking two minutes does not. The series has degenerated almost exclusively to the latter, but this was a rare example of the former. Awesome stuff.

• Paid Members
Channel 4 has had trailers for it in virtually every ad break for the last fortnight.

The only thing I watch on Channel 4 these days is Come Dine With Me. Hmm.

Just watched Derek and liked it a lot. It's very odd. Ricky Gervais plays Derek as a total cartoon, but even the sad bits still work. I'd like to see more of it. Also, was the sad music taken from the scenes in This is England when people were upset about rapedad?

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed Derek too, and I wasn't expecting to after the somewhat bitter taste that Life's Too Short left in my mouth. It had a conclusion, but I'd still love to see more.

Sky have just announced that the jason issacs show 'awake' will be coming to sky atlantic.

just a question for anyone who watches it. its been getting great reviews from every outlet i can see but its chances of a second season seem very slim. is it still worth watching anyway?

Edited by iamtheman

• Paid Members

Derek was originally made as a Non-Broadcast Pilot. However, they decided to show it on Channel 4. Presumably to gauge viewer opinion. There was actually a Derek short made back in 2001 that 's really hard to find now. It's far more controversial, and Gervais has rightly toned down the whole persona to make it more loveable and sympathetic. Have read some rumours that Channel 4 were holding out on a full Series because of the justifiably poor reviews of Life's Too Short, and the whole Mong shit storm from last year.

It's on 4od if you missed it. Would recommend it, even if you hated Life's Too Short like I did. It's a definate return to form. Only thing that ruined it for me was the overly sad music running through the whole thing.

Also, this is a purely Gervais project, no input from the lanky goggle eyed freak Merchant.

Edited by Chilly McFreeze