What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

I think that the main part of my reason for suspecting that I will hate Spartacus immensely is John Hannah. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything that I liked, and I've slightly hated him ever since Four Weddings And A Funeral, which I utterly detest.

• Moderators
I think that the main part of my reason for suspecting that I will hate Spartacus immensely is John Hannah. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything that I liked, and I've slightly hated him ever since Four Weddings And A Funeral, which I utterly detest.

Weird, because I was exactly the same. I couldn't have disliked him more. "Ugh, for fuck's sake, that tombstone-headed Scottish fuck is in this :angry: " Fast forward four or five weeks, I was clapping with glee every time he came onscreen.

Yeah, he's a revelation. Plus Xena is fantastic too, a really nifty actress.

As Woy says, it opens out from a 300-alike bloodfest into this great character-driven story, whilst still keeping all the blood and tits. It's quite reminiscent of Deadwood in that way - its language particularly is often poetically violent and obscene.

The only thing I'd criticise is that the budget is clearly tiny - it often resembles one of those 70s BBC dramas set in one room and a fake street that passes for an entire city. In some respects though it only adds to the charm.

• Paid Members

Somehow, by some freak of nature, neither I nor my accomplice had ever seen a single episode of "Lost". We're now making up for it, with nightly marathons on Netflix. It's blinding so far, although I think my extreme tiredness made the start of season II seems a bit crappy, as I was dropping off every couple of minutes and having a dig in the ribs wake me up to finish the 'sode.

• Moderators

Fantasticly gripping start to a show, isn't it?

Prepare for some massive disappointment! I don't know anyone that stuck it out all the way to the end and doesn't regret it. I was smart and just stopped watching it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Somehow, by some freak of nature, neither I nor my accomplice had ever seen a single episode of "Lost". We're now making up for it, with nightly marathons on Netflix. It's blinding so far, although I think my extreme tiredness made the start of season II seems a bit crappy, as I was dropping off every couple of minutes and having a dig in the ribs wake me up to finish the 'sode.

It's not your tiredness, the series fell off a cliff quite early into Season 2 and never recovered. That was the point at which they started contradicting things they'd set up in series one, and it became obvious that it was all being made up on the fly by people with Red Bull for blood.

• Moderators

Nah.. S2 was patchy but still pretty watchable, and with good cliffhangers most of the time so even if you thought the episode you just watched sucked, you still wanted to watch the next one.

I stopped watching halfway through Season 3, when SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Adebisi died

, as that was the final straw for me in a show I had been gradually losing interest in.

• Paid Members

Lost is utterly fantastically brilliant up untill season 6. Best to stop watching then and come up with your own endings for the characters and explanation for the secrets because they will probably be better than what the show came up with.

The thing is if you watched it week to week the show often felt very slow, but when you watch it back on DVD in bulk viewings the seasons come off 1000 times better and more rapid paced. Also, people shit on season 2 but it has probably one of the top 5 episodes the show ever did and also probably one of the best twists the show ever did. It's probably the weakest season overall though. The first half of season 3 is hit and miss, but it really kicks into high gear near the end. Season 5 is probably the strongest overall season IMO.

• Paid Members
"Heroes" is my benchmark of something only having the impetus for one good season, but I'm going to keep the faith with "Lost" till it loses it completely.

see, if i've kinda been expecting this to goto pot. I'm almost at the end of Season 3 and i still think the show is great. I think the fact that i expecting it to go shit has left me pretty surprised. It definitly feels like they made it up as they went along but it keeps me entertained. Always had the same feeling with Lost, but the same with that, it's always a fun watch.

• Paid Members
Weird, because I was exactly the same. I couldn't have disliked him more. "Ugh, for fuck's sake, that tombstone-headed Scottish fuck is in this :angry: " Fast forward four or five weeks, I was clapping with glee every time he came onscreen.

Hmm. Well, I might try it at some point but I'm restricting myself to one comedy series and one drama series at a time or I don't have the time. I have a vacancy in the comedy slot now that I've sacked It's Always Sunny, which I'm filling with The Bernie Mac Show because I liked the few episodes of that I saw. I'm on to series 2 of Cracker now.

"L-I-V..."

• Paid Members

Well this "Derek" is really shit isn't it?

It's basically the entire series of The Office condensed into half an hour, but all the great characters have been replaced with Karl Pilkington being himself and David Brent has been replaced with a mentally disabled David Brent.